Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys WRT54G wireless LAN help

by rcardalda / July 6, 2005 1:51 AM PDT

I have a desktop connected to the router via cable and a laptop connected wireless, both connect to Internet without a problem, but there is no way to get any of the computers to see each other.

Desktop runs XP PRO SP2, laptop XP Home SP2, both run Zonealarm, Windows Firewall is disabled in both.
Router was updated to the last Firmware.
Both are defined as Workgroup MSHOME, with different names.

Any help, please?
Raul.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys WRT54G wireless LAN help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys WRT54G wireless LAN help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP's SP2 firewall will....
by Michael Geist / July 6, 2005 11:09 AM PDT

knock down a network when file and print sharing is not checked on the Exceptions tab. Take a look.

Collapse -
Michael
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

He has XP firewall disabled. In fact, I can enable it and Zone Alarm will disable it.

Collapse -
Try Linksys Tech. Support
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

I had to call them a few times on issues with the same router and they were most helpful on set up; not so quick on dropped conenction, but they eventually got that resolved. I am currently running about the same thing except 2 desktops and 1 laptop.

Collapse -
The problem lies with the Zonealarm settings
by Alphalutra1 / July 7, 2005 7:27 AM PDT

Hears how to solve the problem:
1) Double Click on the Zonealarm icon on the system tray in the lower right corner of your screen

2)In the zonealarm window, click the Firewall tab on the left hand side

3)Under trusted zone security, ensure that the slider is set to medium

4)Click on the zones tab near the top right hand corner

5) You will see information on your network adapter, what ip address the router assigned the entry type, and the zone

6)Click once on what the zone is listed on for your network card and click trusted.

Then you can share and see both the computers.

By setting the network type to trusted, this will protect your computer from malicious attacks, but allow you to see the computer and share files, printers, etc.

Like you, I have a linksys wrt54g and the firewall included in the router does an excellent job so setting your zonealarm setting to trusted does not compromise your data at all.

Hopefully this will work

T. Ward

Collapse -
Question
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

I checked my settings and they had defaukted to your recommendation. I did notice that the ip address Zone Alarm shows is slightly different than what Linksys shows. Linksys shows XXX.XXX.X.1, but ZA shows XXX.XXX.X.0. I cannot edit or delete the settings. I appear to be OK, but should I do more to change the settings?

Collapse -
Thank you
by rcardalda / July 7, 2005 2:05 PM PDT

Thank you very much for the information, it works great.

After setting the card zone to Trusted, I'm able to connect the two computers together.

Thank you again.
Raul.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it works
by Alphalutra1 / July 8, 2005 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?