Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys WRT54G router and Dell Vostro 1510

by Big Steve / January 28, 2009 3:10 PM PST

After having a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop for almost 3 years, having dropped it last January 2008 I suddenly was without a working laptop. At the time I was using a Linksys wireless "g" router, ( Model #WRT54G ) so I could surf wirelessly throughout the house.

I still have that router which is still hooked up to a Dell desktop. Well late yesterday I received a new Dell Vostro 1510 laptop from Dell to replace the other Dell laptop I dropped last year. What all will I need to do to configure or do whatever it is I will need to do so I can use this same router with my new Dell laptop wirelessly?

When I got the old laptop back in the spring of 2006 someone else came to my house and set everything up for me, this time I'm on my own. Should I contact Linksys later today for assistance? Will I still be able to use my WRT54G router with my new Dell or will I have to upgrade my router? My new Dell Vostro 1510 laptop came configured with a Dell 1395 wireless "g" card, the computer's OS is Windows Vista Premium 32 bit.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys WRT54G router and Dell Vostro 1510
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys WRT54G router and Dell Vostro 1510
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turn on the laptop . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 28, 2009 6:10 PM PST

Have is search for wireless networks. It should find yours. If you have encryption, enter the key. Done.

Collapse -
Re: Turn on the laptop . . .
by Big Steve / January 29, 2009 4:27 AM PST

After turning on the laptop today I contacted Linksys tech support, the guy sounded like he was in India. I was on the phone for over 1 hour, he helped me reset my password and reconfigured the router but when it came time to update the "firmware"? for the router I was not able to connect to the Internet.

The guy with Linksys was very patient, he had me try to do several things which I knew nothing about, I just followed his instructions, a wireless connection was established, encrypted, etc. but when it came time to go online or to check email I couldn't. I'll try again tomorrow. I might have to contact my ISP which is AT&T. Could having 2 computers on the network with 2 different OS be causing the problem? My 3 year old Dell desktop has WIN HOME XP while the new Dell laptop has Vista Premium.

Collapse -
Re: Turn on the laptop . . .
by Big Steve / January 30, 2009 7:08 PM PST

Nobody can offer any advice as to why I cannot connect to the Internet although Linksys helped me reconfigure my router settings as well as reset my password? My new Dell laptop is now able to connect to my home network but cannot connect to the Internet.

Collapse -
Let me share a few reasons I encountered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 10:33 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Let me share a few reasons I encountered.
by Big Steve / January 31, 2009 5:58 AM PST

I received this new Dell Vostro 1510 laptop earlier this week, it was configured to include some version of McAfee antivirus but since I couldn't get online I couldn't update it. It's some kind of a 15 month trial package that Dell offered at no extra charge so the guy who works for my brother's company who configured the laptop for me added it. I wished he hadn't because I would have either added Avast from CNET Downloads or Panda Platinum Internet Security.

So you think that my current Linksys router, model WRT54G which will be 3 years old in April 2009 might not be compatible(sp?) with Windows Vista which is the OS on the new Dell laptop? I might have to buy a new router to take it's place? My Dell desktop PC's OS is Windows Home XP, are there new routers out there that will work with both Windows Home XP and Windows Vista? Thanks for your post.

Collapse -
What exactly do you mean with ...
by Kees Bakker / January 31, 2009 6:07 AM PST

"connect to my home network". What I understand is that on your laptop you can see the folders and files on your desktop and from the laptop use your desktop printer. That's what I should call "connect to my home network". But I think you mean something else.

For an experiment, forget about wireless. Pull the Ethernet-cable from your desktop (carefully!) and connect it to the Ethernet-connection on your laptop. Does Internet work now? Then it's something in your wireless settings or security. If Internet doesn't even work hardwired, it's something else.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: What exactly do you mean with ...
by Big Steve / January 31, 2009 6:11 AM PST

I'll do as you recommend and post the results back here soon.

Collapse -
Re: What exactly do you mean with ...
by Big Steve / January 31, 2009 7:05 AM PST

I did just as you suggested, I disconnected the cable from the back of the desktop and connected it to the new Dell laptop and I'm now able to access the Internet. This Windows Vista is a whole lot different than Windows Home XP. It's going to take me some time getting use to it, use to Vista.

This McAfee program which came preinstalled seems to be a combination of A/V, A/S, and malware protection all rolled into one. My only experience with anything labeled McAfee up through today is Mc Afee's Site Advisor which I downloaded for free from CNET Downloads.

Collapse -
So now we know ...
by Kees Bakker / January 31, 2009 7:28 PM PST
Collapse -
About security software and it expiring.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 10:19 PM PST

There are reports that internet access fails as the security software expires.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!