Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys WRT54G problems

by IAmMelinda / January 24, 2006 3:22 AM PST

Is there something wrong with these routers? I see a lot of discussion concerning dropped connections etc and I'm having a horrid time with my network since I installed one. I have a wired by ethernet desktop, a wireless desktop and a wireless laptop. I used to have their b router and my network worked fine. Very few dropped connections, all computers saw each other and printers and files shared just fine. Now that I've ''upgraded'' to a g I can't seem to keep the laptop connected, the computers very seldon if ever ''see'' each other and I can't use my main printer anymore because the laptop doesn't recognize the desktop anymore. I used their Easy Connect ''Net Set'' program with a flash drive so it has to be configured correctly. Sometimes I'm on line on the wireless laptop, get the little box telling me there's little or no conncetivity and a few minutes later it tells me I'm connected when I haven't done anything to reset it or even moved it. This can happen 30 - 40 times a day. Speed is slower, mostly at 24 or 34, sometimes even 11. Never happend before. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys WRT54G problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys WRT54G problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) did you install the latest firmware?
by Melati Hitam / January 24, 2006 9:15 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes (nt)
by IAmMelinda / January 24, 2006 11:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Linksys WRT54G problems
by SunderlandFan / January 25, 2006 3:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you
by IAmMelinda / January 25, 2006 8:01 AM PST

I've been reading through lots of the messages and have and will continue to try some of the suggestions. It's all a bit overwhelming to someone who's not really on top of things technically but I'll keep plugging away. Thanks for the advice.

Melinda

Collapse -
Happy User giving encouragement
by mindfull / January 26, 2006 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Hello Melinda,
I'm glad you've been pointed in the direction of some answers for the issues thus far. I'd also agree that the most likely "culprit" as in most networking issues, is security settings.

I've used Linksys routers exclusively for over 4 years, and been very impressed with their ease of use & reliability. The one Achilles' Heel has been security, which I finally got configured reliably with the newest version of this Router, with its "one click" connectivity built into both card and router. Since I was networking 4 laptops which all have their own internal cards, I used the Linksys card only to establish one-time connection, then export/imported those same settings to the internal cards.

Since then, I've had flawless connectivity, all encrypted & MAC address-filtered (meaning it's harder for an unlisted computer to connect to the network), using WPA security. All I had to jot down was the MAC address of each computer (found either on the bottom of each machine or in the Hardware Properties of the wireless adapter via Control Panel> System> Hardware Configuration) and the Network "Key", the sequence of letters/#s that tells the Router that the computer is authorized for access. (gleaned from the router itself during the Wizard setup).

Once you have those pieces of the puzzle, the configuration is usually reached by opening an IE window & typing in the default IP address. See your manual for details on how to sign in for the first time. Even if your internet connection isn't up & running, you should be able to configure the router through IE.

I hope these details clarify rather than complicate! Best of luck & feel free to contact me through my Profile here on Cnet with any follow-up questions.

Collapse -
Thank you
by IAmMelinda / January 26, 2006 10:39 AM PST

Thanks for the info. I'm going to print it out to make sure I'm doing it right. I thought I had done all those things but I MUST be missing something. I had a Linksys b router and had it running with no trouble once I found their NetSet client on their web site. It's what I used this time too (with a flash drive to transport the settings) but I have to have missed something. It's really weird to be on the internet on the laptop, have the box pop up telling you there's no available network and just sit patiently for a minute (or 4) and see another box pop up saying "You are now connected." Spooky almost!

Melinda

Collapse -
Do not dismissed a bad hardware...
by Melati Hitam / January 26, 2006 4:16 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Exchange it, if still possible..

Beside, you mention that you are using the same B setting... for your new G device..

Just a thought.. maybe it is a different somewhere inside the setting.

Collapse -
Changed settings
by IAmMelinda / January 26, 2006 7:40 PM PST

When I got the new router, I used NetSet on their site again and re did all the computers. I had wanted to try to get an old one using Windows 98SE up and running with the old b card taken out of another desktop (that now had a new g card) but I don't think I'm up to that challenge yet.;-)

Melinda

Collapse -
Melinda
by Alan Copeland / January 28, 2006 8:56 AM PST

I have the same router, and made a few calls to Linksys, upgraded firmware, and I have been running fine for 7 months now. I had to call back a few times to get the whole issue resolved, but they are very friendly.

Collapse -
Great point
by mindfull / January 28, 2006 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Melinda

That's a great point about firmware upgrades, Alan.
It's a bit confusing with this model b/c, at least when I set mine up, there were 4 different hardware models that all share the same part #!! I believe the specific version # (1,2,3 or 4) can be found on one of the stickers on the router itself. This too is included in the manual.

My greatest confusion, looking back, was making sure that BOTH firmware & software/setup was updated on BOTH the Router & the Adaptor. Once I figured out the correct model/version #, it all sorted out.
Best of luck, Melinda, and yes, the G upgrade will get you a lot more speed, and will make your setup easier at that time (for example, it's possible the router shipped out configured for "G-only" networking, meaning you'd have to configure it differently (as described in my last message), before it's even possible to connect with a B adaptor. Just a thought...

Best,
Mindfull.

Collapse -
Eureka!
by IAmMelinda / January 30, 2006 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Great point

I think I've found the problem. The router is the same 2.4 ghz as our phone system. I moved the laptop to another room (just on a hunch) and everything is hunky dory - at least for now. Better speed and no drops. Unfortunately, where I HAD the laptop is where I really want it. But short of ripping the main phone and answering system out of the wall the only other solution is to move the laptop.

Thanks for all the suggestions though - I'm learning so much - well, actually more than I thought I'd ever need to know but then I grew up with black & white television too.

Melinda

Collapse -
Not only the cordless phone system
by Melati Hitam / January 30, 2006 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Eureka!

you need to worry.. things like microwave, wall, baby monitor, TV, even a large volume of water (such as aquarium or water dispenser) and other devices can interfere with your wireless.

Additional information regarding cordless devices is, even if you didn't use it, and have it store somewhere, as long as they have the battery, it will transmitting the signal (the handset will always looking for the base station, atleast until the battery dead, which can take quite a long time), so if you want to store it, remove the battery from it.

Collapse -
Thanks again
by IAmMelinda / January 30, 2006 8:45 PM PST

That's interesting. I guess it explains why it was constantly just dropping, searching and reconnecting. I didn't see a correlation to when the phone was being used so this explains it more.

Melinda

Collapse -
5.8 GHz phone will solve this
by mindfull / January 31, 2006 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again

That's great that you've found the issue!
I also ran into this a few months back, and upgraded to 5.8 GHz phones in the house & office. The difference has been like night & day.

It had totally slipped my mind since then. Yes the other devices can be problematic, but wireless phones tend to interrupt the most b/c their range is so broad (likely covering the same area you want your internet to work in!).

I think I got a 2-handset 5.8 GHz combo from Panasonic for around $100-110. No need for the photo caller ID that ran an extra $100, though I'm sure that'd be cute if I was in High School!

Happy Networking!
M

Collapse -
2.4Ghz Interference
by dchan249 / December 20, 2007 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: Eureka!

Greetings Melinda,
Just browsing the forum, I happen to run across your interference problem. You still can have your laptop in its original position, just get a phone extension cord that plugs into the wall jack and move the phone to the other room. Make sure that you separate all AC and DC cables by two to three inches and you are good to go!
I hope this helps and I'm not too late for you.
Thanks, Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?