Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys router will not reset

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router (WRT54G ver.4). The router was working fine with a desktop computer, wireless computer and wireless Tivo. That is, until I tried to modify the wireless security settings using the Internet Explorer interface. Before I could finish with all of the changes the router stopped responding.

I have tried many different ways to reset the unit. This includes the Linksys tech suggestion of unplugging the unit, holding the reset button in for 40s, plugging it back in while still holding the reset button for an additional 40s. I have tried countless other "hard reset" techniques. Linksys web support "NetSet" download cannot find the router. The unit cannot be "pinged" from the cmd prompt.

The unit is still not reseting. How do I know? The wireless computer and the Tivo still see it as a security enabled/available network after refreshing the lists. I cannot connect because I didn't yet have the network key. The wired LAN connection comes up "Limited or no connectivity".

The router was working up until I was changing the settings. It just needs to be reset to the out-of-the-box settings. Is there another way to attempt to reset the router? Should I connect the cables differently? Open the case to reset something? Should I hit it a few times with a baseball bat (final option)? Suggestions please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys router will not reset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys router will not reset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not thw router that should be hit..

In reply to: Linksys router will not reset

like you said it works until You do something.. so its you that should be hit .. LOL...

Back to your problem..

try to setup like a new device.. (Unplug all the network cable..) install the software, plug in ONE pc to the router, then power on the router, then access the configuration page and check your IP address, dhcp etc.

Just another thought:
Did you really press the reset button (its possible that you missed the button, while thinking that you got it)

Unplug it for a few hours and try the reset button again..

Do you get the power to the router? (you might missed watching the light on/off)

Can you return it to the store and ask for replacement..?

Collapse -
Already did that!

In reply to: Not thw router that should be hit..

I already hit myself for this one...now the router's turn!

I've had the router for a little over a year. I was just trying to set it up as a secure network. Too secure now I guess!

About setting it up as a new device. Wouldn't I need to uninstall it first in order to reinstall the software? I don't think it was ever installed in the usual way. I think the cd just allows you to configure the settings in the router.

I know I pressed the reset button. You can feel the button press in and I know it didn't pop back out during the reset process (many different attempts). Also, all the lights function as normal: port lights on/off when cable attached/removed, internet light very rapid flash, etc. It's just holding onto the old (secure) settings.

Collapse -
warranty or de-brick

In reply to: Already did that!

If Linksys support couldn't fix it, I would get them to replace it under warranty (three years on the current version of that model).

If your router truly is nothing more than a ''brick'' and Linksys won't give you a new one, you can try to de-brick it yourself:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=33

The advanced de-bricking is not for the faint of heart; so if you reach that point, you might just want to bite the bullet and get a new one.

A good WRT54G de-bricking discussion:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11830&highlight=wrt54g+brick+change+wireless

Collapse -
de-brick helped some

In reply to: warranty or de-brick

I tried the debrick approach. Now I get the power light flashing slowly. I'm not quite sure what to do next. Do I leave the static IP address as 192.168.1.2? change back to auto? or 192.168.1.1?

I can't seem to communicate with the router now and it is not showing up as an available network under wireless connections. I am trying to connect by cable. Do I use the cd or NetSet program next?

Collapse -
you need a solid power light

In reply to: de-brick helped some

Power light flashing slowly means that you need to unplug the router, wait 10 seconds, and plug it in again. The router should not work until you get the power light to be solid.

It shouldn't matter whether you use static or automatic IP address assignment on your computers. To make things easy, I suggest setting your computer's TCP/IP settings to automatic. Make sure the router's DHCP server is on/enabled.

CD or NetSet program? I don't use those--I just log into the router's administration page at http://192.168.1.1. Default password should be "admin" (without parentheses) with no username. From there I configure the router the way I wish. All of this is described in the router manual that you can download from Linksys.com.

GET IT WORKING WITH A WIRED CONNECTION FIRST. FORGET ABOUT WIRELESS UNTIL THE WIRED WORKS.

Collapse -
I recently RMA'd a WRT54G....

In reply to: de-brick helped some

with a flashing power light. Linksys sees this as a valid defect, why not make it their problem?

Collapse -
please confirm

Are you trying to do all these steps through a wired or wireless network adapter? Should be wired.

Collapse -
re:please confirm

In reply to: please confirm

yes, wired

Collapse -
Can you access the web based configuration page?

There is a default setting button too..

Collapse -
Took the router apart...

Still nothing. Either a) flashing power light and still can't reset or b) solid light and broadcasting old settings (to wireless devices) as a secure network that I cannot access.

Have not been able to access the internet explorer maintenance page. All is done using a wired connection.

Collapse -
too bad...

In reply to: Took the router apart...

...that you took it apart before you learned if Linksys would replace it under the 3-year warranty. That's what I do when I encounter a defective device.

Apologies if you have already tried the warranty route, but you never stated that you did.

Collapse -
Master Reset

In reply to: too bad...

Hold in reset or hold a metal object over the reset pins on the circuit board just in case the switch is duff.
Now power on
Continue to hold or short the button until the lights flash and reset happens

If this fails it's been re written or needs replacing.

Mike

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!