Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys Router problem

by wmike95 / October 30, 2003 6:58 AM PST

Hello,

Every so often my connection drops out on my network.
I have 3 comps connected through the router.Linksys BEFSR41 Firmware version 1.45.7
I just reset the router and it works fine.
I am using Win XP Pro VER 5.1 SP1 and a cable modem.
I have no other issues with any of the computers.(win98se on both other comps.)
I have checked and my network connection details which look as below...

Physical Address: 00-0C-6B-1A-CC-63
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 30/10/2003 5:39:33 PM
Lease Expires: 31/10/2003 5:39:33 PM

Is it normal for the lease to expire daily like this?
Has anyone had this type of issue?

Thanks
Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Router problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Router problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Linksys Router problem
by val_nucci / October 30, 2003 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: Linksys Router problem

Mike--don't know why your connection is dropping. Have you called Linksys support yet? I have to say that they are extremely helpful over the phone and very willing--no sighs or disdain, just good help. The phone number should be at the back of your booklet or else go to their web site to tech support (if web access is available nearby, ie. town library)

Collapse -
Re:Linksys Router problem. Looks like a lease problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2003 11:15 PM PST

The lease is handed out by your ISP, not Linksys.

I have my Linksys connect on demand which seems to work fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Linksys Router problem
by dkingery / November 11, 2003 2:38 AM PST

The lease time you want to adjust is the LAN side. You can control that lease time, it on the password page of that router.

Turn off UPNP with in the router, that may stop it from locking up. This router has a bad reputation of locking up. Hopefully a new firmware up date will be out soon, as I have 6 of these units in place.

Collapse -
The lease time.. what is the best number?
by Gakada / November 16, 2003 4:26 AM PST

When 0 is equal to 1 day... what number should I set..?

Is it better to leave it on 0 (one day) or should I put a number of minutes?

Should I enable the 'Block WAN request' (default is off)

Thanks

Collapse -
Re:The lease time.. what is the best number?
by dkingery / November 16, 2003 12:21 PM PST

i would leave it at 0.

i have enabled "Block WAN requests" on all my routers.

Collapse -
Problem was solved!
by wmike95 / December 11, 2003 10:05 AM PST

I found that this version firmware with this Router causes the problem. Returned to original version which came with the router and all is well.
I should learn to leave well enough alone!!!!
Mike

Collapse -
Linksys headaches
by Bienb / October 8, 2005 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem was solved!

what version is that? i have version 4 and it sucks. i cant get Gunz online to run on more that one pc at the same time in my internet cafe. didnt have that problem before lightning took out my D-Link DI-704P router. Unfortunately, the store only had this crap of a router available,a Linksys BEFSR41. It's been a week, and I still can't get the damn thing to do what i want it to, which is to let Gunz online be what it is, an online multiplayer game.
Another thing wrong with this piece of sh.... is the frequent disconnection problem. What makes it worse is that you cant set the reconnect time to less than 20 seconds! Soon as i get my DLink replacement, this junk will get my hammer award. Or maybe somebody wanna router cheap? I'll throw in some aspirins...

Collapse -
What I see too often.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2005 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Linksys headaches

Is out of date firmware or possibly a tip from the router maker what firmware to install. Many are under the impression that these products come ready to use.

Surprise!

bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.