Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys Router not working with my IBM laptop

When i connect my laptop to te wireless network i setup it works. Since i place the router and laptop next to each other to test, reception is not a problem. The problem is that the bubble says the reception is excellent and connected but when i go to my web browser it doesn't work. Help please, i've tried for months!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Router not working with my IBM laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Router not working with my IBM laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since it doesn't work.

In reply to: Linksys Router not working with my IBM laptop

And it's been months, change to a new router.

Details are missing in this post such as.

a. Does the laptop work at hot spots?
b. Is the router firmware current?
c. Did you "secure" your network before setup?
d. Is the router's wifi enabled? (a good signal is not an indication!)
e. How did you setup your router?

Bob

Collapse -
Answer to your questions

In reply to: Since it doesn't work.

a. Not sure if it works in hotspot but my school campus' network seems like one (is it?). The technician gave me the wep key and it works. I think it's only my house that has the problem.

b. I use Linksys WRT54G which i think is one that many people uses. I just typed in the ip address on my browser and a linksys website thing would show up (where i edit settings, like a control panel).

c. I did it today. I used WEP encryption and i typed in the WEP key on my laptop. It says connected.

d. There's a wi-fi logo on the router so does this means it's wi-fi enabled?

e. I basically reset the router first since i haven't touched it for a while. Typed in the ip address to go to control panel. Secure router with WEP and renamed the connection. I didn't touch that M.A.C settings because i don't even know what it means. I connected my router to the modem and power outlet. Thats basically it.
This was also one page i used for reference: http://register.wireless.utoronto.ca/?page=linksys

Also, you think i need to change my router. I'm pretty sure you know which one i'm using and i don't want to spend the money if it's not neccesary.
Hope you can help me, thanks.

Collapse -
You're done.

In reply to: Answer to your questions

"I use Linksys WRT54G which i think is one that many people uses. I just typed in the ip address on my browser and a linksys website thing would show up (where i edit settings, like a control panel)."

The router and laptop are working fine at this point.

I wonder if you really meant to ask how to get your router connected to the internet?

Bob

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: You're done.

Yes! how do u connect the router to the internet?

Collapse -
Common connections are...

In reply to: yes

Cable modem or DSL...

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.