Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys Router and Netgear wireless adapter probelm

by BobbyO / May 3, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

I have the Netgear WG111 v.2 USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter on a computer running Windows 2000. I have the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router attached to a second computer running Windows XP SP-2. The Router works fine with the second computer (Hard wired) and I have internet access. However, after following the Netgear installation instructions on Computer 1, I have intermittent connection to computer two. In other words, although it is only ten feet away, it has signal strength of 54% to 74% and only connects for a second or two at a time. I need help in diagnosing why the signal is not stronger and why it keeps drops on computer 1. HELP. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Router and Netgear wireless adapter probelm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Router and Netgear wireless adapter probelm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the USB adapter....
by Michael Geist / May 3, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

is connected to a laptop, I might take a road trip to your nearest WiFi hotspot for a test. A positive connection should eliminate the adapter as the source of the problem. From there you can update the routers firmware and try repositioning any 2.4ghz devices which might be interfering.

Collapse -
Try different channels
by pratapan / May 3, 2006 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: If the USB adapter....

Try positioning the USB or the router in a different place and check signal strength. 802.11g has a wavelength of approximately 6 inches. So sometimes just moving 1-5 inches improves signal strength. Try using a different channel. Wireless LANs are deployed using Channels 1,6 & 11. Any other channel is a mistake or a rookie. Silly
Maybe somebody else is on the same channel as you and causing interference. Possible sources of interference are Bluetooth, 2.4Ghz phones, Microwave ovens, neighbors using the same channel. If none of this helps you may have a bad USB device.

SKrall

Collapse -
Question about 2.4 ghz phone
by BobbyO / May 3, 2006 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try different channels

Does the phone have to on, i.e. making or taking a call? What if the phone is 35 feet away from the router and the adapter is only ten feet?

Moving the Rouer coser to the adapter to about 7 feet increases the signal strenght from bewtween 68% to 82% but not a strong signal - still breaks up.

Collapse -
The phone is only a problm when you use it
by pratapan / May 7, 2006 6:40 AM PDT

If you make a phone call (from the chordless} and your internet drops out, your AP and phone are sharing the same channel.

SKrall

Collapse -
Thanks but not using it on a laptop
by BobbyO / May 3, 2006 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: If the USB adapter....

Thanks for the reply, but I am not using it on a laptop.

Collapse -
Problem solved
by BobbyO / May 3, 2006 10:47 PM PDT

Just thought I would let anyone following this discussion know that I fixed the problem. I spoke with a techie from NetGear who had me reinstall the USB Adapter and software and then diagnosed that was a Linksys wireless confirguration problem. Althoug skeptical about "it can't be our problem" passing of the buck, I then was able to "LiveChat" with two different Linksys techies through my good internet connection on the hard wired computer.

The first techie helped diagnose and fix the reconfiguration problem so the USB adapter communicated with the router. The second techie helped establish the internet connection. Actually it was a pretty simple solution but because I tried to fix it myself, it took about 9 hours over 4 days.

Lesson Learned - Next time: call the help lines first (or access their website for ''Live Chat'' - Both Netgear and Linksys were very helpful and 24/7 works well when you gotta work all day and then try and fix the computer at night.

Collapse -
very similar problem
by gapfilmvideo / May 7, 2006 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved

scary actually... linksys wrt54gs router, new wusbgs network adapter... computer/adapter sees and is connected to the access point but it cannot access the internet.... if i plug the ethernet cable back in the computer (dell 2.6mhz,512mb ram, xp pro) it will connect to the internet but only for a short while.... after i remove the ethernet cable again it will hold for a few minutes than drops and browser returns cannot find www.*.com.. ... went into administrative tools and noticed consistent error of "master browser request for ip address has timed out connection terminated".. all firewalls are off, xp + router... Router is fine because i have 3 other devices(ibook, mac mini (both built in wifi) and a pocket pc pda with linksys adapter that all work fine... four calls to linksys and two trips to the store for different adapters (at least 9 hours invested)... cannot resolve issue... starting to think it is xp issue but micro"no support"soft without cash in advance is not an option....

Collapse -
Similar probem
by BobbyO / May 7, 2006 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: very similar problem

Have you tried using the Linkysy "live chat"? - provided you can access the internet. The techs were very helpful - although I had to use two different ones - patience is the key. (or call them if you have the free tech help for installation, i.e 60 to 90 days free help.

Based on what you describe and what I learned form the techs, sounds like you may have a router configuratiion problem if the IE screen keeps telling you site not found and you are now aware it cannot find the IP address - i.e. the address the adapter needs to communicate with router and access the internet. The adapter techs might also be able to help.

I am not tech savvy - and only called after my self help attempts did not work, i.e. was installing averything right, uninstalling, re-installing, following the printed directions in the user manuals. But the router still needed to be configured or reconfigured to communicate the IP address to the adapter.

Collapse -
linksys chat
by gapfilmvideo / May 7, 2006 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar probem

after i read your message/post yesterday i did try the online chat... the phone techs just were not getting it done... anyhow the online did seem more knowledgeable and suggested changing computer "name" and creating static ip profile..... did both of those and seemed to fix... was so excited... held connection for the longest amount of time so far... even launched itunes and was streaming some radio site... go team... left the room and heard it playing for a good period of time... came back a little while (15-20 mins) thought somebody had turned down the volume ... alas, not so freaking lucky... had lost connection to internet(not access point!)... think i had a firefox window open and an ie window at the same time... the ie window had closed the firefox window just "couldn't find server"... also very disturbed by the fact linksys adapter carries microsoft xp approved logo but my machine keeps warning new device is NOT approved during installation... and the driver download file from the website doesn't contain a .drv file at all... !!

Collapse -
Null Message
by BobbyO / May 25, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

Null- you left a message to which I could not reply - about what specific changes were made on my computer as suggested by the techs - to get my system up and running - did you get your probelm fixed?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!