General discussion

Linksys Range Expander blocking Internet acces

I bought a Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander 1.0 in hopes of using it with a Netgear WG111v2. I downloaded the firmware from the Cisco website onto the desktop computer that runs my wireless network. I used the Linksys "smart wizard" to try to configure the range expander, and at the end of the process, I got a message saying it would not support WPA security. Linksys wants me to pay $30 or more or they won't help me with set it up because it is out of warranty, so I am willing to just resell it on Ebay and forget the whole idea of using it.

The problem is that now I cannot access the Internet from my Windows XP desktop computer. I am posting this note from a Vista laptop on the same network. I got a message on the desktop earlier saying there is an IP address conflict.

I tried using the Reset button on the wireless range expander to resolve the conflict but this seemed to have no effect. I have unplugged the router and restarted the desktop several times. I looked for a way to uninstall the firmware from my desktop, but it does not appear under Add/Remove Programs or the device manager.

How do I get Linksys off my computer to get my Netgear router working again? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Linksys Range Expander blocking Internet acces
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Linksys Range Expander blocking Internet acces
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Stumper.

I can't tell from your post how the XP machine is supposed to connect to the old router so I'm left with one lone idea.

Google XP NETSH RESET and hope.
Bob

- Collapse -
Netgear connection

The router connects to the modem with a cable and to the desktop computer with software. I think the Linksys device may have changed the IP the router is trying to connect to in the software but I'm not sure.

- Collapse -
How strange.

I've never had to install software to connect to a router with the ethernet cable. This is something very new I fear. Can you supply a web link about this?

Here I only needed to plug in the ethernet cable. In fact I just setup 2 routers today. Neither used any software from the router maker on the computer.

Bob

- Collapse -
Problem solved

A friend suggested that I uninstall my USB adapter for the Netgear router in Device Manager. After I did this, restarted the computer and reinserted the USB into my computer, it appears the problem has resolved itself. I now have Internet access.

CNET Forums

Forum Info