Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys - No Automatic Reconnection?

by dannygirl25 / December 13, 2006 8:52 AM PST

I have a linksys network on in my home for wireless internet access. There are 5 computer hooked up to it. Once in a while the wireless network will hiccup. The other computers in my home may slow down for a brief moment when changing pages or have to refresh, but they keep on trucking, automatically reconnecting to my linksys network.

My main desktop pc however will not. I cannot figure out why. On my desktop, if the network hiccups, the internet fails on my pc. I try to right click the network icon and click "repair" (which seems to fix it on my lap top if it ever goes down completely like that). It hangs up the computer and I have to do a hard reboot. I open up the network page and view networks. Linksys pops up. I hit "disconnect" and then refresh and "connect" back to the network. It'll say "windows has reconnected to the network" but then when I look at my little icon at the bottom, there is still a red X through the network. And if I try to access any pages, it will not allow me to as if I had no internet access at all.

I have found the only way to reconnect the desktop to the network is to Restart the computer and log in again. Why?

I have checked for any conflicts, there are none. And that is about the extent of my knowledge on PCs and wireless networks. I am at a loss for what to check for or do next to possibly fix this problem. Its ridiculous. I wind up having to restart the computer sometimes three to five times in a row before it will stay connected to the network and not go up and down again almost right away. I don't understand this. My pc is only 2 years old.

Its operating system is Windows XP Professional. Ver 2002. AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3000+, 2.00 GHz, 1.00 GB of ram. My network is Linksys Wireless-B. Do I need other information? I don't know terribly much about it. As I said, this only happens on the desktop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys - No Automatic Reconnection?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys - No Automatic Reconnection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't want to know the reasons I find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 9:08 AM PST

1. Top of the hit parage, hijacked winsocks, spyware and P2P use.

2. An improper OS install. You don't want to know the percentage of machines with out of date BIOS, motherboard drivers and after that hardware issues like clogged heatsinks or overtaxed power supplies.

Fortunately I never find a Windows bug.

Bob

Collapse -
How do I find out that?
by dannygirl25 / December 13, 2006 5:09 PM PST

Well, I think I have some spyware on there. But I use Spybot S&D and Ad Aware and got everything I could. I use those often. I'm not sure what a winsock is, so I don't know if mine is hijacked. How do I check? And how do I find out if my bios or drivers are out of date?

Collapse -
Tools I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2006 12:04 AM PST

For the winsock item I use WINSOCKFIXXP (gootle.com) For XP users I suggest a scan with Free AVG AntiSpyware.

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.