Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Links to free ecards please.

by Bron / December 17, 2004 6:25 AM PST

Hi,
Can you give me a couple of links for free ecard websites please.
I'm not too sure what is safe to send.
What i'm looking for, if possible is animated musical Christmas cards, nice, unusual, whatever is available i'll be happy with.
Thank you,
Bron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Links to free ecards please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Links to free ecards please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Bron
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 6:37 AM PST

There are many free ones MOST of which contain, at the least, tracking cookies. Tne one that I have used for years without any problems is Hallmark, the regular card people. They have popups but are a fairly trustworthy company. This link is for the Free E-cards. You MAY have to join the website, I don't remember because I have already been a free member for more years than I wish to say. LOL.

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-102001&CatIDsList=-2%3B-102001&tabOn=products

Collapse -
Hi roddy.
by Bron / December 17, 2004 8:35 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Bron

Many thanks roddy for your help, i'll go and have a look at Hallmark.

Seasons greetings to you and everyone here.

Bron

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Same to you Bron
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: Hi roddy.
Collapse -
I never open E-Cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 6:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Bob.
by Bron / December 17, 2004 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: I never open E-Cards.

Hi Bob,

I thought that once you had an antivirus and spyware security you would be safe.

I have an email protector from eircom and yesterday a very trustworthy friend sent me an ecard and it wouldn't allow me to open it.

If i know who the ecard is from is it safe to open it?

Thank you,
Bron

Collapse -
Bron
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob.

I never open attachments from ANYBODY. Many viruses come from people who have YOUR address in their machine and may not even realize they are infected and some of the viruses send out their payload without the owner of the machine even realizing it. That was why I gave you the Hallmark link. They do NOT send the whole card to the receipient, they send a link to it instead. Even clicking on links in an e-mail has become dangerous though unless you are positive where or who it came from. It is sad that this has happened but it has so you have to be extremely careful nowadays.

Collapse -
Unfortunately,
by Donna Hager / December 18, 2004 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob.

even with anti-virus programs, spyware programs, pop-up blockers, a firewall, etc., you are still never 100% safe because new ones come out daily before those programs have a chance to be updated, so you must still be careful when surfing and opening email. The best rule of thumb besides keeping your program definitions updated is to be sensible. Even when I get an attachment from a friend, I don't open it immediately because I want to wait until after I have the latest definitions installed a few different times and THEN I scan the attachment and go ahead and open it. The friend(s) that sends them to me sometimes are not as conscientious as I am, so that's why its still wise to be careful of what you open. I usually don't bother opening attachments contained in jokes that I see have been forwarded to umpteen people cause its hard to tell what the heck is on their machines when you're talking of 100 forwards contained in one email. Its just not worth it to me.

I still open cards that I receive from legit sites like Hallmark though.

Collapse -
And this season's E-card virus is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 7:09 AM PST
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1742085,00.asp
" A new virus strain masquerading as electronic Christmas cards is accounting for one in every 10 e-mails hitting in-boxes, security experts warned Wednesday.

The W32/Zafi-D worm, which originated in Hungary, is using mass-mailing and P2P (peer-to-peer) techniques to squirm through in-boxes and slow network traffic to a crawl."

Bob
Collapse -
Make you're own e-cards
by Willy / December 17, 2004 8:42 PM PST

You can use Yahoo's links if your a member or not. Check them out. I use my s/w that came with the webcam or similar digital camera s/w, provided you have some camera iot should been part of the s/w bundle.

If you find some service(especially free) or such, beware some do slide in some malware in the process or at least reap addresses to spam you later and the address you email to.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Thanks Willy
by Bron / December 17, 2004 8:47 PM PST

Sadly no camera, no anything just basic pc.

Many thanks Willy:)

Collapse -
card making programs
by glb613 / December 17, 2004 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Willy

Most have the option of sending a card you create as an e-mail attachment. If they don't have a direct server connection, you can save it to the hard drive and send it through your ISP's e-mail. It works the same as web based e-cards, no paper or printing, without the threat of spyware.

Collapse -
Thank you glb.
by Bron / December 17, 2004 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: card making programs

Not sure if i can do that but will have a go.

Thank you for the tip, appreciate all the help here.

Bron

Collapse -
creating e-cards
by glb613 / December 17, 2004 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you glb.

It isn't that hard. The greeting card programs I own have the save feature in the same place where you select print. You just need to know how to select the folder you want to use and then how to find it later. Most programs have a default folder that may not be that easy to find. I usually create one on the hard drive. You can create a folder within "my documents" and use it for saving your cards. That is an easy folder to find later.

Whenever I try something new like this, I create what I want and e-mail it to myself. That way I can see first hand how it looks.

Collapse -
Thanks again glb
by Bron / December 18, 2004 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: creating e-cards

Very clever i think Happy

I'll have to study what you said, it takes a while for things to sink in with me.

Thank you again glb.
Bron

Collapse -
Read this article for getting e-card s/w
by Willy / December 18, 2004 12:39 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Willy
Collapse -
Willy can't see ecard utility.
by Bron / December 19, 2004 1:41 AM PST

Hi Willy,

Thank you for the link, i have looked and looked for ecard utility on pcmag website but can't see it.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was stareing right at me though:):):)
Can you help me?

Bron

Collapse -
Bron
by Shirley R / December 19, 2004 3:15 AM PST

The download is on the upper left handside of the page, under the photo. It says "download now" gcm.zip.
It's in green. Click on gcm.zip and you will get the download. You will need an unzip program to install, I think. Happy I use Freezip. If you need help with the zip file I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will help you. HappyHappy

Shirley

Collapse -
Shirley.
by Bron / December 19, 2004 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Bron

The download is on the upper left handside of the page, under the photo. It says "download now" gcm.zip.
It's in green.

Shirley i have clicked on the download, it brought me to a registration page, i have to register first, i have actually sent in a post here about it because i dont understand alphanumeric member name, it wouldn't take my name.

Thanks Shirley Happy

Collapse -
Bron
by roddy32 / December 19, 2004 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Shirley.

Click on the download, when it takes you to the next page, click on "register", when it takes you to the registration page, fill in the info and make up anything you would like on the righthand side for the member name and password. That would NOT be your real name, just something made up.Your real name goes on the left side. Just fill out the parts with the red *. What you are doing is just registering at the PCMag website so you can access the download. You could probably use something like brona50 or whatever it will accept. Once it accepts you, it should take you to the download page so you can get the cardmaker.

Collapse -
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE.
by Bron / December 19, 2004 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Bron

Many many thanks to all of you for your help with my problem, i really appreciate it and YES i finally did it, i have downloaded the utility to make the ecards:)i could not have done it without your help.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Bron

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Merry Christmas to you too Bron
by roddy32 / December 19, 2004 7:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Sorry, Bron
by Shirley R / December 19, 2004 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Shirley.

I didn't click on the download to see that you had to register. Happy to see that you got it.

Merry Christmas to you, and a Happy, Healthy New Year.

Shirley,

Collapse -
Check again
by Willy / December 19, 2004 8:23 AM PST

As soon as that webpage loads, look in the upper left corner just before article. You should see the filename of the quick download link for it.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Thank you Willy
by Bron / December 20, 2004 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Check again

Have everything sorted now Willy at last:)

Thank you for your help,

Merry Christmas,

Bron

Collapse -
Ecard links
by california_che / July 6, 2006 9:14 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!