Question

Links in e-mails.

I run Windows XP Pro and Outlook Express 2000 9.0.0.2711 for most of my e-mails.

I know that I can use "Insert" to place a link in an e-mail in its complete form but how do I replace that link with a text button such as "click here for ..." .

I want to place a link to our review entry on Tripadvisor into our e-mails but the length of the whole web address extends to complete lines of text and can look really daunting especially if the recipient has to highlight, paste and copy it into their browser as some people do.

When accessing the "insert" "html" menu in Outlook one is not offered a text box to represent the full link.

Advice would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Links in e-mails.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Links in e-mails.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
How I do it.

I can't say for OE because I haven't used it for many years, but Thunderbird has a similar option and I use that.

Copy the link you want to place in the email. Goto Insert > Link. Do you see an option there for "LInk Text"? If so, that is where you can place your preferred text. Then in the same Insert option you paste the Link URL.

Wording may be different between the two email clients, but the method should be similar.

You won't be able to test it in the email you are composing, but if you send yourself a test email with the link, then when you receive it back, you should be able to test it.

Mark

- Collapse -
Links in E-mails with OE

Mark,

Thanks for your post. I was already on to the insert section of the menu but the options offered in Insert/hyperlink are only as follows :- Other/file/ftp/http/https/mailto/news/telnet/wais followed by a box to insert the URL or other reference.
The only way that I have found to get anywhere near the required result is to go instead to Insert/picture/ and paste the Link URL into the "picture" space and an alternate text in the title box.
This sort of works with a text box appearing in the e-mail as if it were a picture but with a red X in it and the required text. It does work to a certain extent but it looks really "clunky" and that was one of the reasons I wanted to get away from typing in the whole URL link.
Any further thoughts would be really apprecuiated.

Regards Glengardener.

- Collapse -
Ahh, got it!

After extensive and difficult investigation I think I've found the answer. It took me all of 30 seconds! Devil

In fact I found it in Google because I was surprised that OE does not have the same option Thunderbird has. But, it seems to be an even better way.

In the email message you are composing, type the word you want to use as the 'named' anchor link, (the hyperlink with a name or word).

Highlight that word, then right click on that word and select "Hyperlink". Enter your url link in there.

I found that here;
http://www.ehow.com/how_5875878_add-links-outlook-express.html

Does that work? The article I linked to appears to limit this to only one word, but see if you can try with two or more, or a phrase.

I can't take any credit, Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
Very Good !!

Mark,

Many thanks for the help. The process is almost exactly as you suggested. After highlighting the "anchor Link" I tried right clicking it but was not offered "Hyperlink" as an option. However, at this point clicking Insert/Hyperlink on the main menu and then inserting the URL in the URL box DOES !!

So many thanks, your time and trouble are very much appreciated.

Regards David (Glengardener).

- Collapse -
Excellent, and glad you got it working.

Thanks for reporting back.

Mark

CNET Forums