Computer Help forum

Question

linking web articles with the Word(microsoft)

by shafiqkhan31 / August 31, 2011 7:48 PM PDT

Hi,
I have two problems I am taking a chance of putting them together in one request.
i. When I wish to copy some article from a website (newspaper) and paste it on the Word (Microsoft) for saving it does not work.
ii. When I respond to a blog or other website and wish to check the spellings of whatever I write, it does not work.
How could I put it right.
I shall be grateful for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: linking web articles with the Word(microsoft)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: linking web articles with the Word(microsoft)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more info
by Jimmy Greystone / August 31, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

Need more info... How are you trying to copy these newspaper articles into Word? We'll ignore any possible copyright issues for the moment.

Secondly, Internet Explorer remains as pretty much the only web browser out there without any kind of spellcheck program built in. Simply having MS Word doesn't help. Now, if you mean that the site has its own spellcheck program and that doesn't work, that is a completely different scenario. So need to know which one it is.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

1] Copy Paste
You say pasting into Word doesn't work. What happens, any error messages?

If you open Notepad, does Paste work in Notepad?

What are you attempting to copy/paste? Just text, or everything from a web site?

2] Web, blog site spell check.

Does your browser have a spell checker installed? I know some do by default, but not all.

Has spell check ever worked? If so, what has changed since it last worked.

Mark

Collapse -
clarification:
by shafiqkhan31 / September 2, 2011 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more

Thank you both of you for you kindness.
I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 and did not know that it did not have its spell check. I use Chrome as well on the same computer. Hence the confusion.
There is no issue of copy right violation as the site I use invites users to share the article or print the post. I can give you the websites, but I hope you accept that I am not in any danger of copy right violation, well never intentionally anyway.
Nothing happens when I try to 'Paste' in the Microsoft Word, there is no 'Paste' option available.
I can ' Paste' in the Wordpad as well as in the Notepad.
Well I use Two browsers on my PC and two different Browsers on my Apple laptop. I accept that I did not note the odd behaviour of the IE 9. I thought spell check worked in all browsers.

Yes its only the text copy/paste I tried, I can not remember trying photos.I may have . I fear I use my computers only to read newspapers and sending and receiving mail. I used to be able to to do fairly complex things but now I forget any program if I do not use for a couple of months. I need to learn the program as if I never used it before.
The method of copying is as standard ,I thought. select the text,in Edit /or the mouse click to copy and then open the destination in the word and look for the paste in the edit. In the case of Word it is not available, in notepad and wordpad it is available ,incidently it is available in the openoffice as well.
My PC is using P4,windows XP,and the IE9.
Is there a possibility of installing a dictionary on IE9 browser? I can not remember if I installed it or not and do not know how to check it. I can not see any obvious sign though.
Shafiq

Collapse -
Spell check for IE9
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: clarification:

Hi Shafiq.

Try IE7Pro which is an add-on for IE. It has a range of options, including Spell Checking. I am not entirely sure it is compatible with IE9 yet but I have seen it recommended elsewhere for IE9 users.

About Word, and copying/pasting. I'm not sure why Word won't paste but can i clarify?

You are in a web site and want to copy some of the text of an article. You highlight the words you want using your mouse, then either goto Edit > Copy, or you right click whilst the mouse cursor is hovering over the highlighted words and select Copy. You then open a new document in Word and in the text area you right click and Paste, except there is no Paste option.

Have you tried "Paste Special"? If not, try that.

Mark

Collapse -
MSFT (some there) campaigns for no addons. LINK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Spell check for IE9
Collapse -
What are folk to do?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 7:17 AM PDT

They need a spell checker. Use a dictionary instead? I've got one lying around, somewhere.

Mark

Collapse -
It's a world wide web.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: What are folk to do?

Somewhere, in some century must have used that word!

Collapse -
Thank you .
by shafiqkhan31 / September 2, 2011 8:54 PM PDT

Thank you Bob . You are a fantastic repository of useful information.Shafiq

Collapse -
Thank you
by shafiqkhan31 / September 2, 2011 9:14 PM PDT

Grateful to you for help.
Shafiq

Collapse -
Easy keyboard shortcut
by volvogirl / September 3, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

The only way I copy & paste is a very very old key combination that still works.....
Copy is Ctrl+Insert key
Paste is Ctrl+V

I can do it w/o looking.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.