Samsung forum

General discussion

Link Stick not detected

by A850 / June 15, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Samsung LN52A850 along with a WIS09ABGN Link Stick. When I plug in the Link Stick, I would expect to see a screen prompt " Wireless network device is connected ... Current network setup: Cable ... Switch network setup to wireless: yes/no ". In my case there is no such prompt. I've successfully used a USB storage device in Wiselink which indicates that the USB port on the TV is working. If I plug the Link Stick into my laptop USB, it recognizes a 802.11 N compliant device which might indicate the Link Stick is working. What might I try next?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Link Stick not detected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Link Stick not detected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link Stick not detected
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 17, 2009 12:48 PM PDT

A850,

You're using the wrong LinkStick. For the 2008 "A" models, you need the WIS08ABG Linkstick. The WIS09ABGN Linkstick isn't compatible.

If you can return the LinkStick from where you bought it, do so. Then, email me at LSforumcontest@gmail.com and I'll mail you one free of charge.

I only have one left, so please include your name, address, CNET user name, model and serial number for your television, and I'll get that out to you this week.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Link Stick not detected
by _jr_ / June 17, 2009 1:06 PM PDT

With all due respect, I think you got it the other way around.

In fact, in a similar post someone (maybe even you) has pointed out that the newer Linkstick will work with 2008 'A' models, but the older Linkstick WIS08ABG will not with with newer 2009 "B" TVs.

Then if you go to the A850 product page on samsung.com and click on Accessories, it shows the new WIS09ABGN, and the compatibility list definitely shows the A850 as compatible with this TV.

I apologize if I misread the original post and your response, but I think I've just saved you the last WIS08ABG.:)

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/accessories.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN52A850S1FXZA

_jr_

Collapse -
Link Stick not detected
by A850 / June 18, 2009 6:08 AM PDT

HD_TECH,

Darn!! I just purchased that television from Bestbuy. I was under the impression I had purchased an 09'model year set. Whatever, as _jr_ pointed out I was just reading the published info on compatibility. So what is the right scoop? Sure do appreciate your work on this forum ... thanks!

A850

Collapse -
And BYW .....
by A850 / June 18, 2009 8:38 AM PDT

HD_Tech

What part of LN52A850 showed you that I had a 2008 model? I guess it's not like cars, where the 09' models come out in October of 08'.

Collapse -
And BYW .....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 19, 2009 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: And BYW .....

A850,

The "A". The "A" as in LN52<b>A</b>850 denotes a 2008 model. The 2009 version would be the LN52<b>B</b>850 model.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Link Stick not detected
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 19, 2009 12:07 PM PDT

_jr_,

In a nutshell:

2008's WIS08ABG will definitely work for 2008 products, and MIGHT work on 2009 products, but not very efficiently with streaming.

2009's WIS90ABGN will work on 2009 products only.

It's my understanding that the WIS08ABG can be used for 2008 and 2009 models. But the lack of "N" on the 2008 Linkstick for the 2009 model products will cause things like streaming to be less than desirable, and in some cases intolerable, among other things.

The 2008 product lines don't have the "N" software (since it wasn't available in that networking flavor at the time of manufacture), and therefore can't use the new stick (WIS09ABGN) on the 2008 televisions since there is no "N" functionality. I believe it won't work altogether as a direct result.

So that's the logic behind my logic. I'll verify that again, in the event something has changed - but for now, I'm confident in that answer.

Samsungparts.com notes it here:
http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Parts+and+Accessories&product%5Fid=WIS09ABGN&search%5Fmodel=

And another part of the samsung.com lists the compatible models here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/accessory/type/accList.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=tvaccessories&subsubtype=wirelessusbadaptor

But I concur, the accessories link is confusing (and I think it's errornous), and I will address this immediately and apologize for the inconvenience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
WIS08ABG vs WIS09ABGN
by _jr_ / June 19, 2009 1:27 PM PDT

>>>
So that's the logic behind my logic. I'll verify that again, in the event something has changed - but for now, I'm confident in that answer.
>>>

If I didn't know better, and I probably don't, I would have thought ABG and ABGN denoted wireless network protocols supported by these devices.

This would then suggest that the 09 Linkstick is backwards compatible with TVs using ABG networks, and thus 08 TVs. Then, the 08 TVs would not be able to connect to Wireless-N devices via the 09 Linkstick, on account of them not supporting the "N" protocol.

But the 08 TVs don't need the "N" functionality of the newer 09 Linksticks to provide wireless connectivity, as long as the the WIS09ABGN would simply operate at A, B, or G speeds.

That was *my* understanding

I have to say I don't trust product descriptions on
samsung.com very much. Case in point:
According to the website, my LN52A850 does not have composite inputs on the Side Panel, and PIP supposedly only works with PC input. Then you open the Quick Guide PDF, and you find out that there *are* composite inputs on the side, but you will also read that there are RF Antenna INPUTS (plural), while there is, in fact, only one.
Confused about PIP, I then read more about it - "Analog signals only," it says on the website and in the manual. Why? The sub-pic displays DTV channels just fine!

I can keep going...

There are many other discrepancies on that website that cause quite a bit of controversy and generate a lot of posts on this Forum.

If you could find out for sure about WIS08 vs WIS09, that would be great.

_jr_

Collapse -
So the bottom line is ....
by A850 / June 20, 2009 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: WIS08ABG vs WIS09ABGN

HD-Tech,

You mentioned that the software was just not available for the "N" protocol at the time the sets were built. Would that possibly mean that a software or firmware upgrade would make the 08' models capable of utilizing the "N" wireless dongle? That sure would be great. Although of far less importance than a awesome picture on a great looking unit, the ability to wirelessly have streaming video from my PC helped drive my decision to buy this tv along with the "N" adapter and also the fastest (pricey) "N" router I could find. Unfortunately, putting a wired network in my place would be quite difficult and the whole wireless "N" thing seemed to be the solution. So I too would appreciate an answer on the question.

Thanks again for your efforts

A850

Collapse -
WIS08ABG vs WIS09ABGN
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 20, 2009 3:34 PM PDT

_jr_

Your response makes sense, and let me just add to what I do know about this:

<i>If I didn't know better, and I probably don't, I would have thought ABG and ABGN denoted wireless network protocols supported by these devices. <b> HDTech - yes, precisely logical, but the 2009 sticks don't interface with 2008 products.</b>
This would then suggest that the 09 Linkstick is backwards compatible with TVs using ABG networks, and thus 08 TVs. Then, the 08 TVs would not be able to connect to Wireless-N devices via the 09 Linkstick, on account of them not supporting the "N" protocol. <b> For most wireless devices, this logic follows suit. However, that is not the case with the LinkSticks. </b>
But the 08 TVs don't need the "N" functionality of the newer 09 Linksticks to provide wireless connectivity, as long as the the WIS09ABGN would simply operate at A, B, or G speeds.
That was *my* understanding</i>

And that makes logical sense. But the WIS09ABGN doesn't interface with the 2008 product lines at all, which is the cause of the speculation.

I guess my main point should have been kept simple.

WIS08 = 2008 "A" products.
WIS09 = 2009 "B" products.

What I was attempting to point out is that while the 2008 stick may work one way (with possible poor results due to the limitation at the time of development a year ago) on 2009 models, the 2009 stick is not backwards compatible at all, even though it supports the same protocols from the routers.

Again, Monday is a good day to clarify, and I will report back as soon as I can get an answer. I believe the information in this post to be the latest and most accurate information to date.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Firmware Update?
by A850 / June 22, 2009 12:38 AM PDT

HD_Tech,

Any chance that there will be a firmware update that will allow the 2008 LN52A850 to run the "N" protocol and utilize the WIS09ABGN adapter?

Thanks again,

A850

Collapse -
Firmware Update?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2009 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Firmware Update?

A850,

I am not aware of any plans for that, so for now, the answer I can give today is no. I'm looking into seeing what other options are available, and hopefully obtaining a few more Linksticks.

In the meantime, as an optional workaround, it's possible to use a wireless bridge (wired to the ethernet) as a wireless possibility. Samsung support wouldn't be able to assist in setting it up, however there are several threads on the forums of people who opted to use a wireless bridge rather than a LinkStick and are able to connect that way. I don't know how cost effective it would be, but since we don't have the LinkSticks available, I could at least offer that avenue to explore.

(Some have preferred that idea, since then they could add a switch and hook up the TV, Blu-Ray and game console wirelessly through the same bridge..) Again, it's possible, but requires a little networking know-how.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Poor communications on Samsungs part
by TheBabyBuzz / June 20, 2009 12:30 PM PDT

Thanks HDTech for mentioning that there is at a minimun "confusion" and more accurately "erroroneous" information from Samsung's corporate product information.

Those of us who purchased 52A850's that were build in 2009 were directed via several sources to the WIS09ABGN.

So losing several hours last week trying to get the TV to recognize the adaptor and network connection was frustrating enough.

But it is now even more frustrating in light of this being a systematic error. So Amazon will hopefully cut me slack from their normal policies and accept this as a return at no charge.

For the record, I would expect Samsung to either update firmware or to provide us with some other corrective measure.

Collapse -
Poor communications on Samsungs part
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 20, 2009 3:57 PM PDT

TheBabyBuzz,

I believe in being straightforward, even if it's not necessarily politically correct or "sanitized". I believe that the wrong accessory is listed with the product.

Additionally, I would like to send you the correct Linkstick as an offering of goodwill, free of charge, on behalf of Samsung and C|Net.

Please send me an email with your username in the subject line to LSforumcontest@gmail.com with your model, serial, name and address and I will send that out this week.

I don't have any information on the firmware options to allow the new Linksticks to work with 2008 models, but with the absence of the 2008 sticks seemingly anywhere in the market, I will certainly address it with the proper department. In the meantime, I hope the 08 Linkstick will suffice as a satisfactory corrective measure.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick
by rpmking / June 25, 2009 7:32 AM PDT

I have the UN46B7000 LED mated to the BD-3600 Blue Ray player, can one Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick be used for multiple devices (such as TV and BR)? Currently its in the BD-3600, but will my 7000 be able to use it from there or does it need to be plugged in directly to the TV? Hopefully, it doesn't require a separate stick for each device. Please advise, thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 25, 2009 4:32 PM PDT

rpmking,

Each device would need its own LinkStick to use the wireless feature for that unit. To directly answer your question, it would have to be plugged directly into your television.

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by rpmking / June 27, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

Thanks HDTech. Not happy to hear that answer, but better to find out this way then fiddling with it for a couple hours. Regards...Joe.

Collapse -
Samsung LinkStick
by Jeffreymcc / January 1, 2010 10:27 AM PST

I just purchased the Samsung UN46B8000 TV and the Samsung BD-P4600 Blu-ray player. The Blu-ray player came with the 2009 wireless LAN adapter WIS09ABGN2 and it connected to my home network just as advertised. I wanted to use the same stick on my TV to check for firmware updates but the TV does not recognize the stick and the option to switch to a wireless network is grayed out. Is there a different version of the stick I need for the TV or is there a way to make this stick work? I don't really need a stick for both as I can get web content through the Blu-ray but it would be convenient for TV firmware updates.

Collapse -
Yes, you appear to need a separate stick
by shopping4samsung / January 18, 2010 10:14 PM PST

I just bought the same TV and Blue Ray this past weekend, and the stick that comes with the 3600 Blue Ray does not work with the TV, despite Best Buy telling me it would (it works fine with the Blue Ray, but the TV does not recognize it).

This is very disappointing and extremely poor design and engineering (or good marketing...now Samsung gets another $80 purchase if you want internet on both). The internet widgets and features on the Blue Ray and TV are totally different so you really do need both to get full functionality.

Collapse -
This Has Still Not Been Resolved
by lpswaggerty / January 17, 2010 9:22 AM PST

This has not been resolved on the Samsung website and it is now 2010. I recently made the same mistake in trusting the Samsung website's list of compatible products and spent over $80 for a LinkStick that is incompatible with my television. I'm not sure how well these forums are monitored by Samsung, but I know Twitter is much more effective in getting a company's attention in this day and age. Honestly, why would an electronics company be so unresponsive to such an issue when their products are currently highly-priced in a country currently experiencing a recession? I recommend a television firmware update to enable compatibility with the newer LinkStick. The cost of hours in production of an update would far overweigh the potential cost of loss of sales for one vendor due to negative reviews/publicity. I love my Samsung HDTV and my Samsung Blu-ray player and can work through such glitches, but I know many people who are usually unforgiving towards vendors in these scenarios. Although my Samsung HDTV displays better than the Sony HDTVs I've seen out there, it would sorely be depressing to see Samsung go under and consumer choices sorely left to Sony and Vizio.

Collapse -
New TV
by my_pinot / May 14, 2010 8:42 AM PDT

I just purchased a Samsung 55" LED TV - UN556300SF. Are there instructions somewhere that shows what Link Stick to buy and how to go about connecting the TV with the Link Stick to a wireless router. I am looking for the steps involved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?