TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Line conditioners revisited - junk science???

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/

is a freebie which includes the online Review Magazine. Their December 2006 issue has a product of the year article by Bill Gaw. The product award is a line conditioner series by APC (American Power Conversion,) well known to the computer set.

The author was given an APC factory tour. Here's a gist of info:

The APC basic computer units put out a so-called pseudo-sine wave not conducive to music or video. They formed an A/V division. They say isolated filter banks eradicate EMI/RFI noise traveling along with the 60Hz wave. They demonstrated by actual oscilloscope live tracings where they fed super noisy AC to the unit & got out a pure sine wave.

The units also use autoformers to keep voltage as close to 120 as possible. Some units also have battery backup to control severe line voltage sags (brownouts.)

Seems to me that AC noise/line crud of some type is usually a fact of life. Remember listening at night to old radio? 1st, the improvement when the little stations signed off the air. Then the extra clarity around midnight. In Pennsylvania I listened to WBZ Boston, WLS Chicago, Randy's Record Mart from Nashville & when lucky, New Orleans.

I'm not trying to get the craw of our well grounded electric, electronic & broadcasting guys. Really. I'd be glad to have logical feedback as to the veracity of the APC type claims. Junk science?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Line conditioners revisited - junk science???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Line conditioners revisited - junk science???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well I haven't scoped line voltage in a long time.

In reply to: Line conditioners revisited - junk science???

But the last time I did it looked like sine wave!!But I guess it's time!!!
OK, I just powered up the scope in the shop(at the FM radio station where I work) and put the scope probe into the AC line socket. What did I see??? I saw a nice CLEAN 60hz sine wave, just as nice and clean as it can be. I'm in a downtown Chicago office building, electronic equipment all around me, above and below, it's everywhere, it's everywhere!!!! But when I scope the raw AC line voltage all I see is nice clean sine wave!!!
Just for fun I plugged a Black and Decker saber saw into the SAME outlet!!! Then I turn the saw on and scoped the AC line voltage!!! Oh woe is me, what have I done to my clean sine wave????? Well nothing it looked the same just as nice and clean as could be.
This power conditioning is becoming just so much FUD!!!!!!
Surge projection($20~35)YES! Battery backup if you have HDTV with a lamp($80~100). John

Collapse -
Well, one time it pays off the next it doesn't.

In reply to: Line conditioners revisited - junk science???

Full disclosure. I'm an electronics designer so some of what they spout is true but what is also true is today's gear usually has what they call a Switched Mode Power Supply. Here's the wikipedia on that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

If you look at how these work they are quite immune to most noise on the AC input. But then again a poorly designed SMPS could benefit from a line filter or regulation.

I know this is not a firm answer one way or another but I hope you see why in the case of most gear from this century this device is optional.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.