PC Applications forum

General discussion

Limwire

by mtopher / April 27, 2006 5:49 AM PDT

Hi

i downloaded Limewire 4.10.9 from downloads.com and i installed it, everything worked fine. but when i went to totally shut it down, the limewire screen would just pop back up again. So i uninstalled it to see if the would help. So after i did that, i got a jave message saying...

*One or more necessary files appear to be invalid. this is generally caused by a corrupt installation. please try downloading and installing limewire again. if the problem persists, please copy and paste the message below and send it to: bugs@limweire.com thank you.*

and when i would cancel that message, it would just pop back up again.

So i did excatly what the message said for me to do. I deleted the old limewire program and re-downloaded it again. But the same proplem came up. it would not let me exit it properly. then i when i uninstalled it again. up popped the same message. so i send an email to bugs@limewire.com and i got a message back saying that there was no such e-mail address.

So i don't know what i could do. i did a virus scan.. and nothing turned up. I tried signing up for the limewire fourms on their main site, but i haven't gotten any e-mails from them yet

Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Limwire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Limwire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2006 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Limwire

Limewire typically is the source for many people's machine woes.

I strongly suggest it's time to clean up the machine and forget about this software.

Bob

Collapse -
Limewire.........................................
by shankru85 / April 27, 2006 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Limwire

1 Get rid of Limewire folder in program directory , you
can use this freeware to completely delete it :

http://www.download.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231813.html?tag=lst-0-5

2 Try to remove (awful!!!)reg keys it installed , using a good software , choose here :

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-2001&qt=registry%20cleaner&tag=srch

3 Perform Ccleaner scan to remove temp files .

4 (maybe 1) Perform Spyware (Ewido should work fine) & Virus scan to remove malware coming from Limewire net , then reboot .

5 Install good firewall & AV real time protection

6 Never try to download nor install Limewire anymore : despite it is famous & trusted by most of people (...i wonder why...) , it connects to a dangerous net (Gnutella 1) , which is full of fakes , malware , intruders & any kind of threat you can imagine (...& more !)

Good Luck & Regards

White [ITA]

Collapse -
Thanks
by mtopher / April 27, 2006 10:55 AM PDT

thanks Happy i have down what you told me. to delete the limewire folder from the program files. after i did that, the thing never popped up again.. thank god lol. This was the first time i have ever had this kind of problem with limewire.

Collapse -
You're welcome , thanks for posting back
by shankru85 / April 27, 2006 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I hope that you will follow my main suggestion & will
not try to install Limewire anymore , this time was only a boring pop-up...but worse problems could happen
the next time .
If you came through only deleting the folder , the problem was probably generated by en .exe file in it connecting to a server :
1 I'd suggest to do all other actions i wrote .
2 Your firewall does not block malicious outgoing , so you'd better install Zonealarm or other firewall provided with this ability .

Regards

White [ITA]

Collapse -
zone alarm
by mtopher / April 28, 2006 12:30 AM PDT

my dad is in the proccess of getting zone alarm. we just got a new comp. so we still need to add it. i use to have it on my other computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.