HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Limited or No Connectivity With Win XP SP 2

by mlampp / December 9, 2004 9:11 AM PST

OK I keep getting that little message and cannot access the internet. I have gone through and downloaded the repair from microsoft and that does not work. I checked the router and all my other computers connect without any problems. On this computer I keep getting the IP 169.254.239.29
Please could anybody help, Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Limited or No Connectivity With Win XP SP 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Limited or No Connectivity With Win XP SP 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Limited or No Connectivity With Win XP SP 2
by Papa Echo / December 9, 2004 10:48 AM PST

What little message ? What and which repair from Microsoft ? Is the problem computer the main computer, i.e. is the router connected to it, with the other computers connected to the router ?

Collapse -
Have you accepted ANY VIA DRIVERS from MS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 10:50 AM PST
Collapse -
by mlampp / December 9, 2004 11:15 AM PST

the WindowsXP-KB 884020-x86-enu

Collapse -
by mlampp / December 9, 2004 12:37 PM PST

OK I now have the computer comunication with the router and the dsl modem BUT now I am hit with another problem. The communication is very slow. Slower than Dial Up. Anybody have a recomindation for that

Collapse -
Re: Limited or No Connectivity With your steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 8:04 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Limited or No Connectivity With your steps.
by mlampp / December 10, 2004 6:04 AM PST

I went and got a friends Dial Up number and logged on and well microsoft had a live update for the VIA network card and that allowed the computer reconnect. The new problem is speed. I had EV1 internet Dial Up and with it came WebJet. If you run the webjet the thing will speed up and run. Well I just found out that the thing sets the proxy server to something else now I must go back and fix that. I will post what my final results later.

Collapse -
I think i can help, ...maybe
by Smart_guy(not really) / December 10, 2004 12:01 PM PST

I had the same problem. What you have to do(worked on mine) is go to Network Connections and locate 'Local Area Connection' and then goto Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), properties and go down to DNS Server. Then, find out your DNS Server(usually call your internet provider and they'll tell you if you don't already know). Then it should work. Happy
***Also, this would be for DSL, I dont know if it will work for any other one, but who knowes***
***Tell me if it works out, Thanks***

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.