Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Limited/no connectivity

Hello people,I hope u may help me to solve this problem,

I have a adsl modem then connected to a server, then from the server to the switches.There are three switches two functioning correctly.

The problem is the one connecting about 30 pcs. I have connected a direct cable to from one switch in the server room to another switch downstairs. It was connecting and work fine then I started experiencing connectivity problem with this downstairs switch.

I changed the connectors and it worked out but after some days the same no/limited connectivity problem occurred.
May you assist me what may be the cause of this problem?

Pkwame

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Limited/no connectivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Limited/no connectivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This may seem stupid...

In reply to: Limited/no connectivity

We had a similar problem. Three switches, one smart switch feeding two plain vanilla switches. One of the plain vanilla switches would go down ever other day. It turned out that it would only do it when port 11 and 12 were plugged it. (It took a long time and another switch to figure that part out.) When we looked at the building wiring, the jacks for those two ports were in the same unused room. The cleaning staff had seen the patch cord plugged into one jack and had kindly plugged the other end into the other jack.

Collapse -
Connectivity

In reply to: Limited/no connectivity

Could you provide more information? Are the 30 machines not able to connect at all, or are they not getting to the server, or are they not able to get on the internet? At what level do they not have connectivity? It also would be helpful to know: what model of switches you are running, if you have done any configuration on the switches (VLANs, port security/setting, etc.), did you do a cable test on your link, any changes you made prior to the problem?

It could be a lot of things given the situation. Always start with hardware and work your way up. So I would test your cable, verify that the switch is working properly, perhaps try different ports. If your switches come with any management software you might want to get into the switch and see what?s happening.

If you can provide a little more information perhaps I could be more help.

Collapse -
Limited or no connectivity

In reply to: Connectivity

Thanks for your nice response,

no I havent done any configuration to the switch,I tried to change the switch but after working for about a week the same problem happened.The switch has got 16 ports.

The other switches which connects 5th and 4th floor are working very well except the one for the third floor.So all about 30 computers can not connect to the internet.I hope you may provide more information for me.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Connectivity

In reply to: Limited or no connectivity

Did you test your uplink between the two switches? That is always the first thing to check. Are you running copper or fiber? If you haven't checked your link I would test that first. I don't know your topology so it is hard to give specifics. I will assume you are running an uplink (trunk) from your 4th floor switch to your 3rd floor? If this is the case did you test your 4th floor switch and make sure it is working properly? As in, did you try running your uplink on a different port? If this is not correct, then let me know what your topology is.

If you are running copper between your switches, an easy way to check your link would be to just bring down a small hub or switch, whatever you have laying around, and plugging that in, in place of your 3rd floor switch. And then plug a PC into it, and see if that works. If it does work, then you know its something wrong with your switch. If it still doesn?t work, then you know it's farther up the link. Your cable or the other switch.

Again, I feel like a little more information about what you have and haven't done, and what equipment you are running would make it easier to trouble shoot.

Collapse -
Limited/No Connectivity

In reply to: Connectivity

Hello!!!

I have tried to connect the 8 ports switch and tested,a week has passed now and its working.What suprises me is that,I have tried to connect another switch of the same type "Accton" but the problem continues.may it be a switch problem or something else please?

I have got a star topology.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.