Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Limited connectivity and ip problems

by noraa58 / August 21, 2009 9:55 AM PDT

Hi all, I googled "Networking forums" and this is what I found. I hope you can help me.

I'm trying to set up a small office with 7 workstations and a media server which is a desktop PC with a few JBOD arrays. I purchased a GS108 8-port gigabit switch and the equivalent 5 port gigabit switch. I plugged in 4 of the workstations to test it out to the 8-port and all 4 came up with the wonderful "Limited or no connectivity" error. They are also not automatically assigned IPs. I assigned them static IPs of 10.0.0.2-5 to test. I can not ping half of the computers, nor can I access shared files. I can ping the other half and access their shared dirs. So far it is just the 4 computers on a network without access to the internet, but eventually I am going to plug in the modem as well. I can ping computer A from computer B, but not vice versa and same goes for file access. Windows firewall is up on all computers as a "group policy" and I don't know how to change that.

My question is how do I make this all work. It is an unmanaged switch, so how do I get all the computers to recognize all the other computers? 3 of the computers are desktops running XP sp3 and the 4th is a laptop also with xp sp3. There are also 2 vista machines that will soon be connected and a couple other xp sp3 desktops.

Thanks everyone!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Limited connectivity and ip problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Limited connectivity and ip problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll need to look at firewalls
by Steven Haninger / August 21, 2009 10:18 AM PDT

Make sure the local area network is an exception on all PCs. Third party firewalls, if you have them, need a similar visit. Of course you have all of these assigned the same workgroup name and a unique computer name. You said XP so I will assume XP pro. Do you know if you have simple file sharing enabled on some and not others. They should be the same. I prefer to have it disabled as it gives greater control over permissions. Set up permissions by individual user or select "everyone" if all will have access. Make sure that all PCs set up with accounts having the same usernames and passwords. Make sure, as well, the built in administrator account also has a password.
I don't think this will solve you ping issue, however. That's more likely firewall, hardware or setting issue. The ping attempt should return a reply. Sometimes the message gives clues as to the problem .

Collapse -
Addendum
by Steven Haninger / August 21, 2009 10:44 AM PDT

You said you're just trying to connect the PCs together to get them networked first and then will add a modem. Presuming the modem is for internet access, you're going to also need a router. The router can assign the IP addresses you missed the first time around but you'll need to change your IP addressing from static to DHCP and DNS to automatic assignment too.

Collapse -
Where's the server?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 10:23 AM PDT

I don't see a Server in the group. Time and time again you find people try to use XP or a desktop OS as a server. Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6126_102-0.html?threadID=355103&tag=forums06;forum-threads as an example.

About those IP problems. Again "Where's the server?" comes up as what is managing the IP assignments? I read where you hard assigned the numbers but without a DNS and matched DHCP server most of these setups will be tedious and failure prone.
Bob

Collapse -
Server 2003
by noraa58 / August 21, 2009 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Where's the server?

I think the media server, which is not connected to my mini-network yet, is running Windows Server 2003. Once I connect that machine will that help solve my problems?

I absolutely do not understand networking. I can do most other forms of PC repair and the like, but networking and network admin stuff boggles me. Is there a good beginner's tutorial?

Collapse -
Yes there are good tutorials online now. But
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Server 2003

Get your server in the mix fast and also if there is to be internet access that router with it's DHCP, DNS could have solved the IP morass.

Nothing is horribly wrong yet, just not a complete system.

Don't give up. You're close.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by noraa58 / August 22, 2009 5:54 AM PDT

I got the problem all sorted. Soon as I plugged in my modem which has a router function built in it solved all my problems.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

We knew you were close. Just missing a vital part of the system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.