Computer Help forum

General discussion

limited account is really limited

Here's the deal, smart folks: After having my computer in for replacement of bad memory (if only that could be done for me) and some additional memory - had 256 and added 512 - strange things began happening, but only when logged on to my wife's limited account. I don't know if the problems started immediately after the repair/update because she just goes with the flow and may not have noticed or said anything at first.

Her Yahoo login page - her home page - suddenly became Yahoo Canada's login page and there was no opening the original page, no changing it back in Internet Options, no getting to it by putting the address directly into the address box. Many other regular, ordinary website pages would no longer open.

Under her user account, I found the Norton Internet Security settings mostly or all turned off and when I tried to turn them on, they went back to off after I clicked OK. (I had thought the administrator security settings would apply all users, but I don't know.)

I finally deleted her account and set up another limited one. Same problems.

Under my administrator account, everything seems to work fine. When I switched the limited one to an admin account, all the pages opened and the Norton settings looked good.

I read here recently that your computer is more secure from intruders when you're logged in on a limited account or I wouldn't worry too much, although I'm still very curious about this.

Here's what I have: XP Home version 5.1.2600 SP 2.0, Sempron 3100+, 1.8k MHz.

Thanks for your help.

Bob H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: limited account is really limited
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: limited account is really limited
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Suggestion..

In reply to: limited account is really limited

Please download, install, then update the free AVG Antispyware program from the link below:

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

After the program is install and updated, and while logged in as an administrator, then restart the computer into Safe Mode and run a full system scan.. Delete any spwyare it finds.. After that, restart the computer, log in to your wife's account and run a scan there..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

If everything comes up clean after performing the scans above, you might consider uninstalling Norton temporarily to see if that is the culprit.. It has caused similar problems for other users in these forums. Installing a different antivirus/firewall, etc. might work better on your machine.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Working on it

In reply to: A Suggestion..

Grif, thank you for the advice.

I downloaded the Ewido, but forgot (that memory thing) to update. The scan showed 22 objects: about 14 tracking cookies with mild risk and four files. (I know, that doesn't add up to 22.) I deleted them all, but haven't seen a change.

The scan took more than 1 1/2 hours. Does that suggest that I didn't download it correctly? I have DSL. Unless I hear otherwise, I will download it again and update it before I scan under my wife's account.

Do I do that scan also in the Safe Mode?

After the scan, I did the Ewido online scan - took about 20 minutes - no infections found.

I just noticed that even under an admin account I can no longer open - "You have insufficent privileges to complete this operation" - Norton Internet Security under Options in the Norton box. Anti-virus and Anti-spam will open. NIS came with the computer and I have no CD for it.

If it comes to uninstalling and reinstalling the Norton without the software, any tips?

By the way, the NIS expires in less than a month. What do you think about me updating it now or switching to another security software? Any suggestions on a replacement?

Sorry about all the questions.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Well, Without The Norton CD

In reply to: Working on it

Collapse -
limited account update

In reply to: Well, Without The Norton CD

I was wrong about the Norton CD. I wasn't looking for it, but I found it. So I uninstalled NIS and re-installed and, as I feared, the anti-virus subscription was now expired. Before the uninstall, it showed a mid-Feb. expiration. I think it was extended when it was repaired under warranty in Nov.

Anyway, webpages are opening again, so that's a huge improvement!

I downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, then avast! 4.7 Anti-Virus and am trying to figure out if parts of NIS are still usable and if it's possible - and a good idea - for all three to work together.

Mainly, I'm trying to figure out if my computer is well-protected.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say THANKS!

Collapse -
Suggestion...

In reply to: limited account update

DON'T use two antivirus programs at the same time. (Norton and Avast) Use only one at a time. If you want to re-subscribe to Norton, do so.. BUT... Avast antivirus should work fine for you as well. (Hopefully, you are aware that AVG also has a free antivirus in addition to it's antispwyare program. It's your choice.)

Since Norton also has a firewall as part of it's IS suite, if you uninstall Norton, you need to make sure that you have a firewall running... If nothing else, confirm the Windows XP firewall is turned "On" in the Control Panel/Windows Firewall icon. After doing so, you can consider purchasing or using a free firewall from a third party company.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Use parts of Norton IS?

In reply to: Suggestion...

So it won't work to turn off/disable just SOME features of Norton Internet Security 2006, such as the anti-virus program, and continue to use other parts, such as the firewall?

Thanks.

Collapse -
If Your Subscription Expires...

In reply to: Use parts of Norton IS?

..Norton may disable entirely (It has to do with their new "Activation" process) but either way, without definition updates, the antivirus and antispyware utilities won't be effective. Since I haven't used Norton's 2006 version, I can't tell you whether the antivirus can be disabled and the firewall will remain..etc.. In past versions of Norton, you could actually uninstall some features, leaving others. Obviously, you can test those options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Going to try the free programs

In reply to: If Your Subscription Expires...

It doesn't appear that I can disable some Norton 2006 features without getting constant alerts that they are off. Or activate another anti-virus while the Norton is installed, even it its anti-virus is turned off. I don't know this for sure.

But, in any case, I've uninstalled Norton and have downloaded AVG's anti-virus to go with their anti-Spyware. I'll find a firewall and I guess I'll be protected.

Many thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.