Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Limewire Very Slow

by Scott76633 / March 4, 2005 8:51 AM PST

I have searched the C/Net forum and cannot find the answer that helps.....until about 3 weeks ago Limewire was just great, fast for my connection, (30-40 KB/S)..I mostly download music,...now it only downloads at 1 kb/s....I have e-mailed limewire a bunch of times, no response...i have checked limewires forum, nothing there helps.....are other users havin this problems with slow downloads with limewire? my isp says they have not slowed it down on purpose, either.....
windows xp....512 ram....80BG harddrive....512 internet connection....other downloads such as programs download fast with the 512 connection!
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks Scott

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Limewire Very Slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Limewire Very Slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
shareaza
by magoogan / March 8, 2005 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Limewire Very Slow

Maybe try shareaza? It is much better anyway.(limewire is one of the programs it uses too) If you have the same problem there must be a computer issue.

Collapse -
slow downloads
by Scott76633 / March 8, 2005 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: shareaza

thanks, I have downloaded Shareaza and like you said it seems to be better, anyway....it is fast like limewire was until 4 weeks ago....I do not know what happened and limewire will not respond...their forum did not give any help that worked, either.
scott

Collapse -
all p2p clients super slow!!
by lowpex3 / December 31, 2005 2:34 PM PST
In reply to: slow downloads

I've tried LimeWire, Shareaza, eDonkey, and several Torrent clients - even upgraded to LimeWire PRO and still getting download speeds averaging 1-2kbps. Same specs as Scott76633, checked & double checked my firewall settings, still no results. If anyone has advice I would love to hear it -very frustrated!

Collapse -
Limewire Slow
by mike garrison / April 26, 2005 2:13 PM PDT

I have a DSL connection that runs at about 2mbs most of the time. Limewire was running at about 17-20 kbs most of the time for the first 4-6 weeks of use. Now I am lucky to get 7kbs out of it. Is there anything that can be done to speed it up or is that the nature of the beast and I have to switch to a different file sharing program or get something "legal"?

My system is similar to Scott76633's (Pentium 4, 512 RAM Sony laptop)

Collapse -
Limewire
by livninskin / July 9, 2005 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Limewire Slow

I am sure it has to do with the new release- they seem to be pimping the "Pro" release which promises "blazing fast downloads"- this could be them forcing people to buy the unfiltered version?

Collapse -
Limewire Very Slow
by livninskin / July 9, 2005 9:47 AM PDT

I got the same story to report- all fine and well and then it just died....

Collapse -
No help on Cnet...
by John.Wilkinson / July 9, 2005 1:07 PM PDT

You'll find little to no help on the Cnet forums, as peer-to-peer programs are not ''favored'' discussions here. While the networks themselves are not illegal, most of the files ''shared'' on them are (they are copyrighted and then hacked/pirated). Cnet has chosen to be very cautious about what they allow here, as they do not want to be associated with illegal activies, and wish to avoid the legal ramifictions that come with such. (Sidenote: The P2P services have recently been informaed that they can be held responsible for what is ''shared'' on their networks.) Consequently, although it is not specifically stated in the Forum Policies, most discussions concerning help with P2P programs/networks are locked or deleted by the moderators.

Just a heads-up to all the new members.

John

Collapse -
p2p slowdown
by jesusjuice / August 26, 2005 7:09 AM PDT

yeh, i noticed bearshare running at 5k max when i was downloading. reinstalled it and no change(??) tried the latest version of limewire and same probs. then tried the eDonkey network which is even worse! i think something shady is going on....

Collapse -
Limewire Very Slow
by co2ct / January 7, 2006 3:23 PM PST

I've noticed the same change. I used to cruise along at blinding speeds, but now max at 7. A gig mem, 120g hard drive. Anyone have any ideas?

Collapse -
I will add to this discussion and maybe shed some light.
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: See this link

This is taken from 1 ISP's FAQ, but other ISP's are following suit with packet-shaping technology. ISP's are not saying they use this, but it's becoming more common, as you see more and more posts on slowing speeds with p2p apps.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-broadband-PageServer?ARTICLE=FAQS&NODE_ID=6900#faq7

7. What are P2P ports?
Peer-to-Peer (P2P) ports are used by file sharing system such as KaZaA, Morpheus, Grokster, Gnutella, LimeWire, WinMX, or eDonkey2000 to download large amounts of data.
A small number of heavy P2P users can utilise a significant proportion of available bandwidth. This can result in a significantly degraded quality of service for other users.

9.1 Does TalkTalk allow P2P downloading?

TalkTalk allows the use of P2P software, however, it does not condone its use where subsequent file sharing breaches applicable local laws and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, those principles of law which protect against compromise of copyrights, trade secrets, proprietary information and other intellectual property rights, libel or defamation of character, invasion of privacy, tortuous interference.

9.2 Does TalkTalk block P2P ports?

No, TalkTalk broadband does not block ports used by P2P file sharing systems.

9.3 Does TalkTalk broadband prioritise traffic generated by P2P software?

TalkTalk broadband may use network controls to prioritise traffic generated by web browsing, email and music downloads over that generated by with P2P file sharing systems where it is found that it affects the bandwidth of other broadband users.

9.4 Why does TalkTalk put network controls in place with P2P networks?

TalkTalk owes a duty to all our Broadband users to both preserve network integrity and avoid network degradation. If, in our reasonable opinion, we believe P2P usage has, or may adversely affect, such network integrity or may cause network degradation for the majority of users we may control the transmission speed of selected ports.

9.5 Does TalkTalk use network controls to affect gaming or other legitimate download services?

The techniques used to control the network should not affect legitimate download, chat, instant messaging or gaming services.

Now time to lock this discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.