PC Applications forum

General discussion

limewire pro-legal or not?

by smit9192 / January 17, 2006 6:41 AM PST

becuase i don't have any p2p software on my pc, my friend said to get limewire pro-but it and he also said that its legal -- so i was wondering if it really was becuase i don't think its legal

plzz help me out in this messy stiuation

some advice is better than no advise

thanx in advance

-JAY

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: limewire pro-legal or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: limewire pro-legal or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Limewire
by marinetbryant / January 17, 2006 7:04 AM PST

A few months ago I was notified by Universal studios, or one of them, that I was illegally copying a movie. Turned out my IP address had been spoofed by someone using Limewire and illegally downloading movies. They say you can get really infected through P2P operations like this. Just my experience.

Collapse -
You're correct, legality is an issue...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 7:04 AM PST

You're right to doubt your friend on this for several reasons:

* The Limewire Pro software is a ripoff, as you get the same access with Limewire.
* Most P2P networks and software are crawling with malware.
* No matter whether you purchase the software or not does not matter. The question is whether or not the content is legal. Well over 90% of the files available on P2P networks is pirated, and thus illegal to upload, download, and use no matter what. Thus, paying a couple of bucks for the software does not make downloading music from 50Cent, Britney Spears, etc legal. You can still be tracked down and sued as it's still piracy.
--------------------
To read up on this issue, click here for a previous thread on the topic. Specifically mentioned in some of the posts is Limewire Pro, the laws, reasons for P2P, and more.
--------------------
Additional things I'd like to mention:
* The US government recently ruled that the owners and operators of P2P networks are responsible for everything that is 'shared.' Thus, they are being forced to either close down (which a lot of them are, including grokster), go legit (like Napster did in the past, and iMesh did recently), or face lawsuits from the RIAA, MPAA, and individual developers, producers, etc.

* France is currently debating (to my knowledge they have not reached a final decision yet) whether or not to legalize P2P networks. If they do, you'll have to pay a nominal monthly fee for unlimited use that would include everything shared on any/all networks. Aside from that, there are laws forbidding piracy, including 'sharing' copyrighted materials over P2P networks, in almost all modern countries.
--------------------
Once you've read the previous discussion and gotten a handle on it, make sure you relay the information to your friend, who's either in the dark on the issue, believing what others may have told him, or in denial over the legalities and security issues involved.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
excellent points.....
by sciflyer / January 17, 2006 2:36 PM PST

there is no doubt limewire is illegal, and the fact is, limewire sucks anyway. the search results are nothing compared to other p2p. i do use bearshare, although i have sharing turned off, and it works much better than limewire. however I AM NOT ADVOCATING THE USE OF SUCH PROGRAMS.
jim

Collapse -
File Sharing Software is legal.....but
by simonmaude / January 17, 2006 5:26 PM PST

File sharing software such as Limewire is legal.
However using File Sharing software to download copyrighted information which the author or producer has not authorised for download freely is not.
Although File sharing software can give the opportunity to download copyrighted and other material it cannot encourage downloading of copied software.
To be discouraging illegal downloads the latest Limewire informs you whether or not a file you are about to download is licensed (copyrighted - illegal to download) or unlicensed (Public Domain - The owner/creator has chosen to make it freely available and therefore LEGAL).

The Analogy I would use is this.... using a gun gives every owner the opportunity to shoot at a variety of objects (Living and dead), however it is the choice of the user what to aim at and shoot. Owning a gun can be legal and shooting an animal with a purchased hunting license is legal. Shooting without a license can be illegal.

Catch my drift?

Collapse -
Lime Wire is legal
by dartsxc / January 23, 2006 3:28 AM PST

Lime Wire is a file sharing program. You are not downloading music illegally. If you were to import songs from a friend's CD, that would not be illegal either. If that is legal, then downloading other's files off of a program wouldn't be. Thank you.

Darts XC

Collapse -
Incorrect...
by John.Wilkinson / January 23, 2006 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Lime Wire is legal

Passing around a copyrighted CD you possess so your friends can rip it to their computer IS illegal, and there's even a name for it...piracy. Now, you're right that LimeWire is legal. However, downloading copyrighted materials, be it music, software, or anything else, is illegal in most countries, again falling under the term piracy. Since over 90% of what's 'shared' on P2P networks is copyrighted material, over 90% of what's 'shared' is illegal. Thus, using LimeWire is legal, until you use it for illegal activities.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?