I have installed both and uninstalled 3 or 4 times but still can't
get them to open. I have used both in the past. I'm not a computer
newbie. I retired from the Army as a installer. I may not be seeing
the forest for the trees. Can someone help me see what I'm doing or
not doing. I'm using Windows XP home.
Heinz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LimeWire / FrostWire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LimeWire / FrostWire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For starters
by Jimmy Greystone / September 23, 2008 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: LimeWire / FrostWire

For starters, you're trying to install programs that a) are notorious sources of viruses and malware and where b) 90% or more of the content distributed is illegal.

So personally, I'd count myself lucky, and give up while I was still ahead.

Collapse -
limewire
by heinz&betty / September 24, 2008 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: For starters

Thanks for the reply, Jimmy

I know that most is junk.
I'm 70yrs old and trying to find music from the 40's and 50's
that i can't find in stores.

Collapse -
Doesn't change anything
by Jimmy Greystone / September 24, 2008 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: limewire

That doesn't change anything sadly. Odds are it's still under copyright, making it illegal to download. Since it's illegal to download, it would be illegal to discuss how to do it unless I wanted to make myself an accessory. On top of that, it's against the policy of these forums.

Odds are you won't really find much on any file sharing service anyway if you're looking for something that old. If you want the latest garbage from some boy band or pop singer, you can probably find that in just about any possible format you want. But the odds of someone not only having the albums you want from the 40s and 50s, to have then gone to all the effort of converting them to a digital format... The odds are very slim at best.

If you're willing to pay for it, sometimes you can get record companies to make up a special release for you. It won't be cheap though, and it assumes they still have a master copy somewhere.

Collapse -
Still finding stuff like that on Amazon.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

The content is still out there.

Collapse -
Of course
by Tarq57 / September 24, 2008 5:06 PM PDT

some older content can still be found.
It's up to the user to not download illegal content, and part of the installer requires the user to indicate that during the install process. Covering the 6 I guess.
What operating system is it? What security applications are active?
Tried asking at the Limewire forum?

Collapse -
of course
by heinz&betty / September 27, 2008 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Of course

tarq 57
Thanks for the reply got what i needed on the forum.
I was kind of put down on here before.
Thanks again,
Heinz

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by Tarq57 / September 27, 2008 4:46 PM PDT
In reply to: of course

Glad you got the needed help.
Was it a Java issue?

Collapse -
lime wire
by heinz&betty / September 28, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome.

Yes it was. I just needed a Java update.
Thanks again,

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2008 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: of course

Well, it IS against the rules for these forums to discuss that sort of thing, and given the numerous legal implications, the safest bet is to simply tell people they're on their own.

I personally could care less what you do with the program, I just count self-support as one of the costs of free music/movies/software/whatever. You also assume all the the liabilities that go with it, technical and legal.

In any case, it is/was against the rules of these forums, so you really should count yourself lucky that the thread wasn't locked. Of course you still admitted to performing an illegal act on a public forum... So just don't be surprised if some day soon you find yourself on the wrong end of a copyright infringement lawsuit with no defense.

Collapse -
Jeez, jimmy.
by Tarq57 / September 28, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

You are technically correct, of course.
Butif the RIAA or any other music industry rep come down on this user for downloading a few 50 year old songs, then Big Brother is a bit too alive and well, in my humble opinion. (Could happen, I guess, at a stretch.)
But why play the heavy?

Collapse -
Limewire clean-up
by rje49 / September 28, 2008 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Jeez, jimmy.

I just finished working on a grandson's computer that wasn't working. One of the first things I do is clean up. Using Revo Uninstaller, after getting rid of Limewire, over TWO THOUSAND registry entries needed to be deleted. There were many other problems, but I warned my grandson that Limewire may mean free stuff, but it comes with a TRUCKLOAD of garbage!

Collapse -
Sorry
by heinz&betty / September 28, 2008 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Limewire clean-up

Sorry I stirred up a hornets nest.
I had a memory lapse so I asked a question and I'll probably be back on here to ask other silly questions. Hope that is ok.
Thanks, Heinz

Collapse -
Do what you like
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2008 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Jeez, jimmy.

Do what you like, just be willing to accept the associated risks is all I'm saying. That involves any garbage you may pick up from use of the program, like is mentioned already, or the possible legal outcomes. I'm sure just about everyone who's ever been sued by the RIAA initially thought to themselves, "It'll never happen to me!"

And "Big Brother" has been here for quite some time. For example, the RIAA/MPAA basically bought themselves a little piece of legislation known as the Pro-IP Act, which just unanimously passed in the Senate. While the version passed did strip out the bits where the DoJ would be effectively made into copyright police, we're still talking about effectively taking what is a civil offense, and making the federal government the enforcer of upholding it.

There's another bill being proposed... Sounds good at first blush. It gives people the right to use some copyrighted work royalty free if they perform a documented "good faith" effort to track down the copyright holder. Sounds good at first, since the little guy who may want to use some image or song or whatever, might be able to do so now. But of course you have to figure it will be large corporations that use it the most. Someone posts an image on some photo sharing site, doesn't respond to an email within a certain amount of time, the company then claims they made a good faith effort and goes ahead and uses the image in some promotional ad campaign. No doubt they will have a team of lawyers dreaming up clever ways to exploit this law to get out of paying people what they are rightfully owed.

In any case, if you're fine with the possible consequences, do as you please.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?