General discussion

LimeWire

Hi, one of my kids has added "LimeWire" to our home desktop to download music. Can we expect the same problems with this site as we had with "Kazaa" ?
We are running WinXP and our comp is almost 2 yrs old.
Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: LimeWire
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LimeWire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
One of the nicer features of XP ...

is its user management. An administrator (you!) can make other users (the kids, your wife?), each with his own desktop, My Documents and the like, and (especially useful) limited rights, which can be set to not allow install.

In fact, it's recommended to use a 'normal' account for yourself also for daily work, and only use the Administrator account when you really need that capabilities. Less risky and error-prone.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re: LimeWire

JDAN,

Even if you avoid the over-riding theme of potential theft of copyrighted material whenever music is downloaded from file sharing programs such as Limewire, (and the penalties that could arise from such), there are still other issues that can occur with using P2P programs. P2P programs provide an extremely large security hole for viruses and spyware to be downloaded and installed. Limewire has "less" spyware than KaZaa upon initial installation, but anytime you share your computer with the world and download multiple files from other computers, you never know what you're going to pick up.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -

Yes it does. Our comp. crashed about 2 months ago and I attributed it to Kazaa and all the junk that came along with it. I figure this will be the next in line of a bunch of copy cat sites.
Thanks again.

- Collapse -

I have been running Limewire for months with no problem. I make sure that it is only allowed access to the net while I am using the program and that when I shut off the computer the program is not set to run on startup.

- Collapse -

No Lime Wire is great. No spyware or problems what soever.

CNET Forums