Question

lightweight digital camera w/ slr quality + features

HI, I'm new to photography but I enjoy taking pics when I travel w/ my family ( I hv an active child so I wish I can take snap shoots of her ). I'm looking for a digital camera which is fast enough to take moving object w/ a clear n sharp images in low light condition such as inside of a theatre or nite outdoor picture or animal pics or kid.

At the moment Im using G10. But G10 I hv to use tripod if I want to take nite scenery. I want something thats easy to use, lightweight, have slr picture quality + features, fast to snap, low light, and preferably I can put it into my handbag or shoulder bag n carry it wherever I go.

some friends suggest to buy Canon S95 or Lumix GF 2.

thank you

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: lightweight digital camera w/ slr quality + features
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: lightweight digital camera w/ slr quality + features
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
No Substitute

The S95 would be not much better than your Canon G10. The GF2 would definitely be a step up. The new Panasonic G3 would be even better; it is receiving stellar reviews. You would need a large handbag for either the GF2 or G3 though, because unlike compact cameras, the lens does not retract into the body.

- Collapse -
Which one better

Apart from Lumix GF2 or GF3 what are other camera that fit my needs? I prefer lighter weight than G10 w/ better performance and user friendly and not too bulky. What about Sony NEX 5?

- Collapse -
Sony NEX 5

The Sony is going to have a smaller body than any other MILC camera, but because it uses a larger APS-C sensor, it needs to have larger lenses in front of it. With the standard 18-55mm lens, it is larger than the Panasonics. The Sony also has a virtually completely menu driven control system, which is not very intuitive or user-friendly. I hate the NEX 5 flash. It is not built-in, and you cannot use any other because of the unique connector.

- Collapse -
Any brand that would suit me?

Okay got your point, then which digital camera would you recommend according to my preference w/ budget around USD700 - USD 1000 ( im not ready for bulky camera ). I want one that i can just put into my handbag.

- Collapse -
To clarify: the GF3 isn't out yet.

The two cameras mentioned previously are the GF2 and G3. I only point this out because there is a GF3 in the works (rumor is that it will be officially announced next month) and, if you can wait for it, it could fit your needs quite nicely, as it's supposed to be the smallest G-series camera yet (to compete with Sony's NEX-line).

With the 14mm f2.5 lens, the GF3 should be easily pocketable. Although you may want to trade a slight increase in size for the additional stop of the 20mm f1.7 lens.

Full disclosure: I own a 20mm f1.7 lens - Mark

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thank you Mark for the clarification.

If u have any recommendation other than GF series please do inform me.

- Collapse -
Olympus E-PL2
- Collapse -
Answer
try Minolta

If i recall correctly Minolta manufacture the smallest SLR on the market.

- Collapse -
Minolta - Update

Minolta merged with Konica quite a few years ago.
The name changed to Konica/Minolta.
Then a few years ago, Konica/Minolta sold their camera division to Sony.

Minolta and/or Konica/Minolta are out of the camera business.

Sony now sells a line of DSLR cameras that are compatible with Konica/Minolta Lenses.

CNET Forums