Cameras forum

General discussion

light, point/shoot camera that takes regular batteries

by looki-loo / November 1, 2010 4:03 PM PDT

my husband has started hiking and is really wanting a decent camera that takes regular batteries as he doesn't want to be out of juice without a place to recharge.... where he can carry xtra batteries. since it is a camera for hiking, i am looking for light weight;point and shoot;more zoom ranks higher than massive pixels; stabilizer; fast shutter for action (never know what will run by at the top of the mountain) and of course not too expensive, as he can be rough on about everything without ever realizing it. looking for Christmas.... appreciate what info you can provide...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: light, point/shoot camera that takes regular batteries
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: light, point/shoot camera that takes regular batteries
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SX120 IS
by PistonCupChampion / November 2, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

There's not a lot of choice when it comes to cameras that still take AA batteries. Of the ones that do, I would choose the SX120 IS, or its replacement, the SX130 IS. Either should be about $200.

Collapse -
Also to note on battery life!
by whattodo1989 / November 8, 2010 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Canon SX120 IS

make sure you are using a high milliamperage battery... cameras don't need low energy for long time like most things do... they need surges of energy all at once and that drains normal batteries very quickly...

the way of identifying the milliamperage is by this "mAh" meaning Milli Amp Hours it determines the power of a battery most normal batteries use about 800 mAh, a decent set of rechargeable batteries run at about 2500 mAh... hints for long use of a set of batteries in a AA powered cam find a good set of rechargeable batteries so you can use your camera whenever you like without a worry of it dieing out on you

Grin have a nice day Grin

Collapse -
battery life
by looki-loo / November 10, 2010 3:17 PM PST

Thank you for the help... now i can get started with at least an idea of what i am doing...

Collapse -
Not just any rechargeable
by porsche10x / November 12, 2010 8:28 PM PST

Specifically, use NiMH or lithium batteries, not NiCads. Keep a set or three of regular Alkalines in your pocket as backup. That's what's great about the AA cameras.

Collapse -
Better Solution
by Flatworm / November 12, 2010 10:35 PM PST

Most digital cameras today come with rechargeable LiON batteries that last a VERY long time -- literally thousands of pictures on a single charge. They are also very quick and easy to recharge.

AA batteries in all cases will add considerable weight to your camera over the weight of the proprietary LiON battery that comes in most of them, so if light weight is a consideration then double-As are not a good choice in any event.

A better solution is to purchase a second LiON battery (these usually cost between $20 and $40 and are readily available for all makes) for your camera as a spare, and when the original battery gets low, just replace it with the spare, recharge the original, and the original then becomes the spare. It may seem expensive at first, but it will definitely last the life of the camera and be a far less expensive alternative in the long run than repeatedly replacing high-mAh AAs.

Collapse -
Thousands?
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 12, 2010 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Better Solution

Maybe 250 but not thousands.
Very small cameras have very small batteries.

Collapse -
Better Solution? OP has specific request...
by whattodo1989 / November 13, 2010 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Better Solution

OP is looking for a great AA battery camera i simply added in about the milliamp hours as a help to battery life, a set of 4 nickle hydride (NiMH)is cheaper that a spare battery pack and lasts just as long...

I use them for my fathers camera when i bought his so it was simple and cheap... so doing simple math the set of 2(4 total) AA batteries is cheaper and just as efficient...

Lets just try to stay on focus for the OP please

*** OP regards to Original Poster

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.