Question

LGA 775 to LGA 1155 Windows 10 compatability?

So I'm upgrading a current PC which includes a motherboard switch, and am also planning to update to W10. The PC I have was store bought with W7 and offers me the W10 update. I've read places that if you change a motherboard with changes such as the socket, it may take away the option to update to W10 or, if you've already updated, may break W10. Does anyone know for sure if this motherboard change would still allow me the free W10 update? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: LGA 775 to LGA 1155 Windows 10 compatability?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LGA 775 to LGA 1155 Windows 10 compatability?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Depends on the license.

I can't answer you since I don't know the license you are at and especially your new W10 license.

Most W10 upgrades are locked to the motherboard so if you change the motherboard your license is dead. SORT OF!

We know that Microsoft will not want to take this to trial so the word is if the license fails you get to call it it to reactivate.

It would take a lot of posts to cover all the angles but you only have till the 29th to change the motherboard, install W7 and do the upgrade for free.

- Collapse -
Answer
Did the store give you a windows 10...

installation disc? If yes, does it have a license key? If no key, then it's not a big deal, we can get free win10 upgrade anyway.

- Collapse -
Forgot to ask.

Why are you changing board. You just happen to have this spare board?

- Collapse -
Answer
you cannot legally use win10

If win 10 is an upgrade version you cannot use it since there was a motherboard swap. Upgrade versions are only legal if it is upgrading a legally installed os. When you swapped the motherboard, and if the os is oem or system builders, the installed os is not legal so you cannot use an upgrade version.

- Collapse -
And that's where the debate happens.

Example. Windows 7 Retail with a W10 upgrade.

Motherboard died so it didn't activate the W7 or 10. A call was made and a new key issued.

This area is going to be tough so license matters and it's too complex to right what Microsoft will do in every scenario.

- Collapse -
Answer
Store bought

I'll take a guess this is some HP/Dell/Lenovo unit and you have no OS install disc.

If you change that mobo what's the plan to install the OS?

Don't expect your installed OS to boot up with the new mobo.

Keep it simple add 100 bucks to the mix and pick up a w10 disc.
Now you can jockey parts around and reload.

CNET Forums