LG forum

General discussion

LG65EF9500

by Slabchet / January 5, 2018 3:13 PM PST

Has anybody else have a TV after a 1.5 years develope a black line across screen. Paid big money for TV and get this type of quality what a bunch of crap

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG65EF9500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG65EF9500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I google that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 3:24 PM PST
In reply to: LG65EF9500

The answer looks to be yes. Folks that get this failure do yell.

It's more a matter of reliability. So far no electronics has been able to escape the bath tub curve. Consumers don't want to know this either. So if you have not called it in the usual end run is to extend the warranty, read how many days till you can make a claim, wait that long and maybe a few days then make the claim.

There are folk that want to argue that "it should last longer" but we know that and that discussion is done and done.

More about failures at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Collapse -
Black line
by Slabchet / January 5, 2018 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: If I google that

Called and they won’t extend the warranty, Figured if you spend over 3500 dollars you would get better quality.. Got a pioneer plasma that’s 12 yrs old and never a problem. Never buy another LG

Collapse -
Not a matter of quality IMO.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: Black line

I shared the link to show what's in play here. There will be failures along the way to the end. In the current products today, well, you're living it.

Quality is rarely the issue here. You are fighting that curve. The bottom of the curve is not zero for almost any product today.

As to the Pioneer, it survived the curve or other words, inside the curve. You'll find folk bitter about their plasma that didn't survive.

Collapse -
The curve
by Slabchet / January 5, 2018 3:57 PM PST

I understand that there will be failures just wish LG would help somewhat, like split the repair costs or offer me another TV for at sale price. Instead I spent 3700 dollars on another brand of TV they lost a good customer because over the last 3 years I spent over 7 grand on TV’s yes there will be failures but they need to stand behind the product.

Collapse -
History here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 4:08 PM PST
In reply to: The curve

If you remember color tube TVs the cost began to mount as the color tubes failed. The consumers almost rebelled but the makers started offering many years warranty on the color tubes. By then the reliability had gone up but did little for those that bought before.

Anyhow, you can ask for a deal but the warranty is considered "the deal you made." Anything beyond that is being wishful. You can ask if you like but letting it fall out of warranty is still our choice.

We just got a new car. There was a deal for a longer warranty and we took it because I'm very in tune with how this works. I know consumers want to play the "it should last longer" discussion but a deal is a _____. Sorry if you feel upset at me here.

I really wish the warranty could be extended. The trick is to do this before they know it failed or has failed. Then wait the waiting period and a little more then make the claim.

Collapse -
The deal
by Slabchet / January 5, 2018 4:35 PM PST
In reply to: History here.

That’s right that’s the deal I made I won’t make that mistake twice, I guess I should have educated myself on the failures of this type of TV. But believe me I will never promote an LG product yes it was 6 months out of warranty but by bending the rules a little bit by LG they could kept a customer who will probrobly buy at least 2 more TVs and plus my son built a new house and is looking to buy 2 oled TVs in the next 6 months. No it won’t hurt a company like LG that they lost out on 4 or 5 sales on TVs but it makes me feel better. I run a small auto repair business and There are times when I bend the rules to help my customers on warranty issues and in a small business like mine it means the world to people when you go the extra mile. But in the big business world I’m just another number. So yes that is the deal but I’m free to express my disappointment with LG and I will, thanks for the info.

Collapse -
Be sure to research all the makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: The deal

Very few stories of the maker pitching in outside of the warranty. Similar stories are to be had from all the makers today. I can't guess why they won't budge but the likely reason is that if they cut a deal with you, you share and then everyone wants the deal.

I saw this happen when Samsung stepped up for DLP chip failures. While it was nice, the problem was not so simple. Samsung covered early failures but folk took that as a sign Samsung would cover all failures.

DLP chip life wasn't that great. Even Ti extended the warranty on their DLP projectors to 5 years (just that chip) since it was becoming clear that it was not as reliable as they said it was.

There's more to that story and I was interested since I've worked on product reliability (non-consumer products) on and off for many years.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!