TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

LG570 /NETFLIX

by gaijr / August 25, 2011 11:05 PM PDT

NETFLIX is streaming in Dolby 5.1, though the LG570 for some reason does not support streaming 5.1 from NETFLIX, is it possible to download a codec to be able to recieve streaming 5.1?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG570 /NETFLIX
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG570 /NETFLIX
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Only if Netflix issues it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: LG570 /NETFLIX

Remember that Netflix issues that. And while I do read you wrote CODEC, these are not PCs and don't use CODECs like a Windows PC does.

Again, it's up to Netflix.
Bob

Collapse -
NetfFlix 5.1 streaming response
by gaijr / August 27, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

I called back to NetFlix, it is their software for streaming that will only play with certain brands, Sharp, Roku Sony and some play stations also you need a constant 8 megabytes constant capacity. Gripe time; I would think before jumping in with that separate price hike for streaming they would have accomodated most blu-rays that are on the market, I have a 7.1 Pioneer Elite VSX 30, so for now I guess I will stay with the DVD's.

Collapse -
Tipping my hand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 4:01 AM PDT

I write embedded apps (software for things other than a PC) and I can see where folk that don't know what's inside these DVD players and HDTVs could think it's simple to do.

Nothing has been further from the truth.
Bob

Collapse -
Mr Rourke/Fantasy Island
by Pepe7 / August 27, 2011 4:14 PM PDT

I believe we can see Mr Rourke @ Fantasy Island Wink

Your expectations regarding this particular technology are a little unrealistic. Using your logic- someone pays $xxx for a service/Blu Rays exist/Broadband exists/receivers can handle surround sound, then content *must* be available for streaming in that surround format. Sound a little off to you?

Collapse -
Slp Shod work by NetFlix
by gaijr / August 29, 2011 6:17 AM PDT

Actually yes, to make any excuse for NetFlix deserves an expense paid trip to Fantasy Island, being a for profit company and doing nicely at that. They should be in contact with the DVD makers to coordinate what is needed to run the 5.1 or even better 7.1. Maybe an "Ethics list" of exactly what DVD players will support their 5.1 service, do you know? I don't, how many people do you think do know, so you go by a DVD thinking you can subscribe to NetFlix streaming, then find out it is a no go, on and on! Slip shod work by NetFlix trying to grab the extra buck.

Collapse -
Answer
LG570 /NETFLIX
by 3coursedinner / August 26, 2011 10:05 PM PDT

IS your LG firmware current? Did you try LG support as to whether Netflix 5.1 is supported?

Collapse -
Answer
LG570 /NETFLIX
by 3coursedinner / August 27, 2011 12:47 AM PDT

I don't use netflix so bear with me -- this is just info only.
After I responded earlier to you I was looking at a forum for my AVR at AVS forums and according to one person who responded to a question about Netflix 5.1 not every Netflix title has 5.2 and according to him there's an option to slect 5.1 if available.
Like I said -- I don't use Netflix so info only.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!