Phones forum

General discussion

LG VX6100 or VX5200 on Verizon

Hi,
I posted a question about Verizon Tri-mode phones (in San Francisco area) a while back and it seemed that fewer and fewer companies are making them. LG sounds like the best choice, the VX6100 in particular. However I need to purchase the phone just before I go up to our mountain cabin I can test its analog capabilities (April 1st is our next trip). It's is a 4 hour drive so it's not convenient to just buzz up there.

Unfortunately Verizon is no longer offering the VX6100, only it's replacement the VX5200. I can however still buy a new VX6100 direct from LG. After reading reviews, it sounds like the 6100 might be a bit better in everything except battery life.

Has anyone compared these two phones, especially in Analog mode? I don't have a problem buying the 5200 from the local Verizon dealer with the option of returning it if it doesn't work well at our cabin, but since I would have to buy the 6100 direct from LG over the internet, returning it would be more of a hassle.
Any thoughts appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG VX6100 or VX5200 on Verizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG VX6100 or VX5200 on Verizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any thoughts on the VX5200?

In reply to: LG VX6100 or VX5200 on Verizon

As far as voice quality, dropped calls, Analog performance?
Thanks!

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Any thoughts on the VX5200?

My wife had the 5200 and now has the 6100. The 6100 is clearly the better phone here. Battery life is not wonderful and call clarity is pretty much like othe offerings from LG, which is to say, mediocre. The keypad on the 5200 is virtually unusable and it's overall just a cheap design.

The pattern is now becoming clear, LG makes phones that are easier to use and navigate than the Motos but the Motos have it all over the LG's in call handling and call quality. Also LG screens are a lot more vibrant and clear than Moto screens.

For me call clarity/handling is everything so I think I'll stick with Moto's. I have a Razr V3m and will probably be getting my wife the same phone or it successor when she's due for a new phone.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks Psych Doc

In reply to: Re:

I remember you speaking highly of the 6100. Problem is that since it's an older model it is only available from a few places. I want something I can easily return if it doesn't work at the cabin, and for Verizon customers I'm limited to two Tri-Mode phones...the Motorola V325 and the LG VX5200. The Moto is probably more phone than I need or want to pay for.
Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Anyone??

In reply to: LG VX6100 or VX5200 on Verizon

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!