Phones forum

General discussion

LG Voyager and its calendar

by foolygoofy / April 2, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

I currently have the Moto Q with Windows Mobile. My favorite feature is to be able to see my next appointment on the main screen. I was wondering if someone could tell me if I will be able to do the same with the Voyager.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG Voyager and its calendar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG Voyager and its calendar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Voyager calendar...
by WiredNot / April 2, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

Hi foolygoofy,

I have an LG Voyager and use its calendar a lot. In fact, I keep all my appointments in it. But I'm not sure what you're asking. I've never used a Moto Q so I don't know how it works.

The calendar in the Voyager is a "dumb" calendar. It's not designed to sync to a computer. It's also not as full-featured as a calendar in a PDA phone, Smartphone or PIM. For example, you can't enter a text note or comment for an event. All you can do is enter a short title, configure alarms, etc.

The calendar, itself provides multiple views that work slightly differently depending upon whether you are using the phone's external touchscreen or internal display with keyboard. It's easy to scroll from one event to the next on the same day. It's also easy to scroll from month to month using the touchscreen.

You can also enter recurring events. So if you have the same appointment every day, week, month or year, you can enter it once and configure it to repeat automatically.

However, the calendar is not automated. It won't display the next event automatically unless you've set an alarm for it. If you have, then the alarm will sound and you'll be asked to view the event which you can do very quickly.

Regarding alarms, you can give each event a different alarm sound (ringtone) if you want. You can also set whether an alarm will vibrate. That's cool. But there is one problem with the alarm feature that is a royal pain---the available settings for the timing are:

On Time
5 Minutes
10 Minutes
15 Minutes
1 Hour
2 Hours
1 Day
2 Days

That leaves some huge gaps. I often want an alarm to sound 30 minutes before an event yet the settings jump from 15 minutes to 1 hour!!! These are lousy choices in my opinion.

I strongly recommend that you visit a Verizon store and try it out.

Best regards, WiredNot

Collapse -
Thanks Wirednot
by foolygoofy / April 2, 2009 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Voyager calendar...

Thanks for the details. More indepth to the Moto Q, when I put an appointment in the calendar and let's say it's like in an hour and there is nothing else. In the main welcome screen, the one that normally displays the hour and a background, there you will have a text saying "10:00AM - Pick up Kelly" and after that appointment expires, if nothing else is there it will show "No Appointment" or it will display whatever is next in the next 24 hours.

It's neat because you don't have to press here and there to get into the calendar to see what is going on. Like the other day it was a friends birthday on the next day and on my way home the screen displayed. "Tomorrow - Eddies BDay" so I knew to stop and buy a gift, with other phones in the past I had to make the habit of checking the calendar or setting alarms that then I got busy, pressed dismiss then I never heard it again and would miss things.

Anyways, I'll stop by a store and test it out, I heard the Samsung Omnia does it, but I played with it and the touch was not as responsive as the Voyager.

Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
Calendar icon...
by WiredNot / April 3, 2009 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Wirednot

Hello again,

For the most part, you have to remember to open the Voyager calendar each day to see what events are scheduled for the day. However, it will display a small calendar icon on any day when an event is scheduled. So when you look at your phone, you'll see the small icon and know that you need to check your calendar. But that's all the notice you'll get.

Of course, if you set an alarm for an event, the alarm will sound and you'll be prompted to view the event (which you can do with a single button (or touch) at the predetermined time.

As for opening the calendar, itself. I have it assigned to the shortcut menu. So all I have to do is touch an unused area of the touchscreen to summon the menu (which is a series of large icons) and touch the calendar icon to open the program. So it's just two touches with the touchscreen. Plus, new phones come with the calendar pre-assigned to the shortcut menu. You can customize this menu (which I did) and locate the calender icon where ever you desire. I put it first in the upper left corner because I use it a lot.

Best regards, WiredNot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.