TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

LG TV Wifi, connect to laptop to surf internet?

by 9bill6 / September 28, 2014 9:25 AM PDT

My 50" tv says it has wifi. Does this mean the tv screen can act as the monitor when I use my wireless laptop to surf the internet, etc.? The user guide shows picture of two wireless connections. One shows an LG Wireless Dongle (what's a dongle?) plugged into tv. Other pic shows just the tv and a wireless router, with each one showing the "signal" bouncing off it.

I have Comcast, and they gave me a combo router/modem. Said I don't need a separate wireless router to use the wireless laptop, and I do use the laptop fine.

So, is the tv already set up to be used with the laptop because I already have the router?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG TV Wifi, connect to laptop to surf internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG TV Wifi, connect to laptop to surf internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Rarely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 9:33 AM PDT

There are some sets that you can cast your screen but I can't find which LG it is.

Be aware LG never answered about their privacy issues at http://bgr.com/2013/11/20/lg-smart-tv-spying/

In closing, if you have a WiFi router you should be able to use that with multiple devices as long as they are in range. TV's tend to have less range than a laptop. Figure 20 feet for the worst ones.
Bob

Collapse -
Link shows WiDi and Miracast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Rarely.
Collapse -
Link of CNET review
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Rarely.
Collapse -
Answer
Why don't you help us...
by Pepe7 / September 28, 2014 10:37 AM PDT

...help you by actually supplying the model number(?) Wink

Collapse -
LG TV Model #
by 9bill6 / September 28, 2014 11:33 PM PDT

Model # is 50LA6205...however, just recently have been told by LG it is a Canadian model I was sold. LG chat session said they can tell me nothing about it because of that, and the warranty is no good in USA. If I needed warranty work, they said I'll have to ship it to Canada. Nice, huh? Bought it online from Tiger Direct. Contacted them....they said LG is wrong, go back and tell them. Contact LG again, they say Tiger Direct is wrong. Went back to tiger Direct. So now T-D tech said he will "escalate" this odd problem to his supervisor and someone will get back to me. Bet no one has ever heard of a nutty problem like this before.

Collapse -
Answer
Why not give it a shot.
by Oldartq / September 28, 2014 1:17 PM PDT

Not with the laptop but as though the tv is another laptop. Sounds like your router has an access point and if the tv is close enough to the router then you might be all set. Good luck.

Collapse -
don't get it...?
by 9bill6 / September 28, 2014 11:46 PM PDT

don't understand what you mean by..."not with the laptop"....Maybe I'm not clear...I thought there was a way to use the keyboard on my laptop but the tv screen would look like the monitor on my laptop. (?)
not easy for me to check things.....they talk about a "User Guide", a "User Manual", an "On Screen Manual", and an "Online Manual". They should make things simpler/easier.

Collapse -
Hey buddy
by Pepe7 / September 29, 2014 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: don't get it...?

It cuts both ways Wink We also need your laptop info to determine if it will be compatible with your HDTV.

Collapse -
laptop
by 9bill6 / September 29, 2014 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey buddy

laptop is Acer Aspire V5-571P, but Im looking all over to try to find the system specs, and no luck

Collapse -
laptop info
by 9bill6 / September 29, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey buddy

Acer Aspire V5-571P-6407
Manufacture date Dec.2012
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU@1.90ghz
Ram - 6.00GB
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Collapse -
What I recommend
by Pepe7 / September 29, 2014 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop info

Skip the Miracast, since it generally is a pain and unreliable. If you want to give it try, Bob posted a decent enough tutorial.

If I had a laptop that Lacks Widi chipset built-in (much more reliable than miracast), my choice would be a simple HDMI cable if possible. Works nearly 100% of the time, with no collateral issues to deal with like you do w/ wifi and/or Miracast. Any HDMI cable you had laying around would allow you to test out the performance of a wired connection. Either Amazon or Monoprice.com could supply a decent quality 15-20' HDMI cable for a song.

If the HDTV's mounted in a high spot where the extra HDMI cable connection hanging off might be an issue, you could add a wireless bridge or wireless HDMI transmitting device. YMMV. Both I am still not satisfied with vs a straight wired connection.

Collapse -
Always visit the LG support site for that
by Pepe7 / September 29, 2014 12:33 AM PDT

That way you know what precisely the HDTV is capable of.

Collapse -
You look through this?
by Oldartq / September 29, 2014 2:38 AM PDT

This may give you a little more understanding.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-50LA6205

If you just want to use the tv as a monitor for your laptop, here is what's necessary. If your laptop don't have "widi", then a dongle is needed for the laptop to communicated with the tv to make this work.

Collapse -
more confused
by 9bill6 / September 29, 2014 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: You look through this?

getting more mixed up the more I read. Is the "miracast" gadget only needed for 'streaming'? (does that mean movies?)

you are correct when you say if I just want to use the tv as a monitor for my laptop. That's it. TV owners manual says TV has wifi and widi. But I've never seen anything called widi having to do with my wireless laptop.

So do I need a dongle for both the tv and the laptop?

Collapse -
Look up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2014 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: more confused

It appears you have all the hardware you need. Frankly it's techy to setup but I supplied the usual tutorials. If it doesn't work, you should make some warranty claims.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Ijust don't get it
by 9bill6 / September 30, 2014 4:14 AM PDT

everything I have read sounds different to me.

Bottom line:
I have TV with both Wifi and Widi
I have a wireless laptop that does Not have Widi
I have Comcast combo router//modem on a shelf a foot below the TV
Laptop is 12 feet away

I just want to use the TV screen as a monitor for the laptop.
Walk areas, etc., means no wires can be between laptop and TV
But a wire can be between router/modem and TV
What is needed....a dongle for both TV and laptop?
How do I set this up? How do I turn it "on/off" to go back and forth between using TV as monitor while using laptop, and then just using laptop by itself and a "regular" TV?

Thanks so much, I'm sorry I am having such a hard time with this.

Collapse -
The missing WiDi in the laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2014 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Ijust don't get it

That means you should try MiraCast. If you want to add WiDi I suggest you don't because it's not that cheap.

Collapse -
I have W8, not 8.1
by 9bill6 / September 30, 2014 12:26 PM PDT

My laptop came with W8. Tutorial says it has to have came with 8.1. Says if laptop was/gets uprgraded to 8.1 from an older version of W, then the laptop has to support Miracast (which mine does not)
Does this bring everything to a halt....as far as trying Miracast goes?

Collapse -
Yes. 8.1 will provide support for Miracast
by Pepe7 / September 30, 2014 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: I have W8, not 8.1

You *will* have to update from 8 to 8.1 in order to get started with Miracast. I believe your laptop should be perfectly capable once you update. Double check using the method listed here though after upgrading to 8.1
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-stream-to-tv,news-18335.html
Pay special attention to the section that refers to 'Add a Wireless Device' under Devices > Project

Grab a wireless dongle to act as the miracast receiver on the back of the LG HDTV. The dongle plugs into a free HDMI port. I have absolutely zero experience getting one of these to work personally, but it's on my bucket list. Here's a Belkin from Amazon as one example which is reported to work successfully with 8.1.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Miracast-Video-Adapter-Supports/dp/B00HFAEBWG/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

Collapse -
upgrade to 8.1 wont work with miracast
by 9bill6 / September 30, 2014 3:19 PM PDT

You missed my second sentence.....the tutorial says, as I stated, if you do upgrade to 8.1, the laptop Im using already has to support Miracast, which it does not.
Also, when I click "Devices", the is no "Project" to click on

Collapse -
The upgrade part 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2014 12:29 AM PDT

After the OS is upgraded, you have to find the video drivers that add the MiraCast support. Annoying to say the least. At least that's cheaper than buying hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
Since it's Intel HD 4000 under the hood....
by Pepe7 / October 1, 2014 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: The upgrade part 2.

...that accentuated driver software will likely arrive with the 8.1 update. YMMV.

Collapse -
Let's be honest about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2014 2:07 AM PDT

Microsoft and the industry is a mess. This issue had many opportunities since about 1995 to escape driver hell and didn't. Reading https://communities.intel.com/message/209702 finds a few ideas about the HD 4000 driver for Windows 8.1.
Bob

Collapse -
You are preaching to the choir ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / October 1, 2014 12:12 PM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
Patience, grasshopper
by Pepe7 / October 1, 2014 12:39 AM PDT

Pull up a chair and stay awhile Happy

Here are your steps. Follow them religiously. Ignore the tutorial for now. More often than not, Microsoft has hidden features which become unlocked when you update the OS. I see your rig has the Intel HD 4000 graphics built in. That means it will likely also support miracast because the chipset is supposed to be compatible. YMMV. See here:

http://withinwindows.com/blog/2013/6/30/windows-81-features-miracast-wireless-display-tech-and-it-works-well

1) Backup the data on your laptop before upgrading the OS

2) Update the operating system to Windows 8.1

**The reason there is no 'Project' to click on is because you have not updated to 8.1 yet. 8.1 adds this functionality.

3) Buy the required dongle or miracast receiver (see my post above)

4) Configure laptop by adding the wireless device per above

Collapse -
The TV noted above may have MiraCast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2014 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Patience, grasshopper

But to muddy the waters, the maker wrote this:
"WiFi certified Miracast™ allows you to mirror files from your Smartphone, tablet and other devices with Miracast™ without wires through Wi-Fi Direct®. It's a great way to mirror media you have created, so things like your vacation photos and recital videos can easily be viewed on the big screen.

Disclaimer: *Internet subscription required and sold separately."

Collapse -
If LG wrote it,....
by Pepe7 / October 1, 2014 1:50 AM PDT

...it may be erroneous. It's a feature and not a service from what I saw at a few demos last year of some larger LG panels. We ended up with a 90" Sharp instead, so I gave up reading the misleading nonsense @ the LG "support" site at that point Wink

I will take another peek. There may however be an app that LG implements among their stable of 'smart' <ahem> features to achieve some of these results of straight forward (mira)casting though.

Hypothetically, once you have a separate receiver that can 'talk' to the HDTV via the HDMI port, it should be really simple given the laptop has been upgraded.

Collapse -
holy moly
by 9bill6 / October 1, 2014 5:10 AM PDT

I think this has now gone way over my head to do all this stuff. More and more involved. Looks like I'll have to forget about it. I thought it would be such a simple thing when I bought the TV making sure it said "Wifi". Figured I could just plug something in and turn it on and I'm set. Maybe I could do about half the stuff you guys are now talking about, but....backing up and updating....configuring dongles....bunch of stuff I've never done, just barely recall having even heard the terms before.

Thank you very much for all the time and effort in trying to help, but I just don't think I can do it. So, looks like I'll be staying with a 15" monitor instead of a 50" monitor. Worried I'll make a mess out of things and end up with laptop all fouled up.

Collapse -
Trying to avoid the usual HDMI Wireless link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2014 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: holy moly
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?