Question

LG TV : Picture not coming on screen, but TV is on.

Dear All,

Have a peculiar problem with my LG flat screen TV. It stopped working suddenly, that is no picture when switched on, I noticed the main ON/OFF red light blinking. Normally, this turns from RED to GREEN, then picture comes on screen. However, in my case the RED light keeps on blinking and there is a ticking sound ( like a clock's tick-tock ) from top centre backside of screen.
When I kept the TV on overnight, it suddenly switched on and the picture came on screen. On switching off, it never came on till now.
Screen does not turn on by manual on / off switch located at bottom left rear of screen.
Please HELP !
Thanks in advance.

LG - TV
MODEL No. : 42LC7R
PRODUCT CODE : 42LC7R - TB.AFKVLH
SERIAL No. : 706KCHE1P897
MFG : JUNE 2007

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LG TV : Picture not coming on screen, but TV is on.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LG TV : Picture not coming on screen, but TV is on.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
need help

Screen saver is on and can not turn it off, t.v. will not show picture

- Collapse -
LG 52 inch TV is on but no picture shows help me out

When you plug it up and push the on button it makes a clicking sound in the center of the back of the TV how do I fix this problem

- Collapse -
Mr

My t.v. doesn't show pictures but it is on it flashed 3 times then blank

- Collapse -
Re: TV

Then have it repaired, or (if that is to expensive) buy another one.

- Collapse -
LG tv

LG tv is on but I can't see pictures of the running program can only hear the words,help

- Collapse -
As noted, older set.

Get estimates and if too high, shop for another.

In parting I have yet to see any TV technicians participate in any forums.

- Collapse -
no pictures on screen but sound is on

miraz LED TV is on but I can't see pictures of the running program can only hear the words,please help me

- Collapse -
Power supply issue

Pls check the switched mode supply

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Similar issue, any suggestions how to fix

Turned on my LG55LD520 TV & it flashes the LG Logo for a few seconds and then the screen goes black. The sound is on.
I turned off & unplugged it but there was no change.
Any suggestions on what else I can do myself?

- Collapse -
At the age I see this at.

I see this shipped in 2009 so it's did OK as to life span. This week I spotted a 4K 55 inch albeit refurb from under 500 at woot.com

Due to the age, consider getting estimates (if free) and start shopping.

- Collapse -
I have the same issue with my 47ln5700

It will turn on show the LG logo and the stand by light flashes then the screen turns off and the standby light does not come back in till I turn it off with the power button.

- Collapse -
Same issue

I had the same issue with this model. I called LG and they offered to repair for $310 + parts. I contacted a local repair service and they came to look at the TV. Within 10 seconds he told me this was a known problem with this model and required a new LED backlight Kit. He had rec'd service bulletins from LG indicating that they were having issues with LED lights going out. Evidently, LG had extended the original warranty on some sets due to the severity of the issue. Unfortunately, when I contacted LG I was told they couldn't do anything.

It would have been nice if they had told me that this was a known issue on my first call. I could have saved the $120 for the service call.

- Collapse -
(NT) The t.v. turns on but no picture. What to do, how to fix?
- Collapse -
just do this and that

if it does not work, then start a new thread and give the full model number of the tv. without that info, there is absolutely nobody here can help.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Help!

Similar situation with model no.32lb5600-UH. My audio is on but no video. Tried the above suggestions of UN hooking ALL power cables and checked all buttons(none stuck). Now what? Capacitors or boards?

- Collapse -
A tech

A tech would use their prior experience, the service manual and if they suspect the panel tell you it can't be repaired for less than a new TV. No techs I know diagnose on the web. Those that do, will not warrant the advice.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
lg smart tv issue

My lg smart TV has suddenly refused to display picture on screen but TV is on.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Same thing. The tv power is on, with no picture. However, th
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Picture Not Coming on screen only blinking LED

Have a peculiar problem with my LG flat screen TV. It stopped working suddenly, that is no picture when switched on, I noticed the main ON/OFF red light blinking. Normally, this turns from RED to GREEN, then picture comes on screen. However, in my case the RED light keeps on blinking and there is a ticking sound ( like a clock's tick-tock ) from top centre backside of screen.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
LG tv 37LE5500-TA

Just showing LG logo and can hear voice clearly but doesn't show picture please anyone help me out

- Collapse -
This old thread.

Try the ideas here and consider the age of the set. Compare repair costs versus replacement.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Lg

My tv will go on normally after lg logo pops up and pictures shows it will go off in 2min and the green light will still be on

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
LG TV Screen is black but hear sound

We have a LG TV the screen is black but there are sound.

- Collapse -
Re: Black

What R.Proffitt says in the post just below, still is valid.
"Remove all power and other cords, wait 10 or more minutes and try again. Since there are no user serviceable parts beyond this, you get estimates for repair."

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) My lg tv picture not coming on screen but tv is on
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) My lg tv picture not coming on screen but tv is on
- Collapse -
Answer
Try the usual then arrange for repair.

Remove all power and other cords, wait 10 or more minutes and try again. Remember that techs don't post such so I take it you are not a TV tech. Since there are no user serviceable parts beyond this, you get estimates for repair.
Bob

- Collapse -
Picture not coming on screen, though power on

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input. No, am not a TV tech, hence posting on this forum for suggestion to my TV's problem.
Wouldn't need to post if I was a TV Tech, would repair it myself.
As suggested by you, I have tried switching OFF, with delay of more than 10 minutes, so as to reset all internal memories, then switching ON again ( as I had stated earlier ), but to no avail.
What I would like to hear from the TV experts, or those competent and well versed in this field, is that which electronic component(s) within the TV can or is giving rise to this observable symptom, and the possible remedy ( adjustment / component replacement ) that needs to be effected to correct the ailment.

Taking it to an Authorized agent is easy ( even a child could suggest that ), but in my part of the world, if its a little problem, like a blown internal fuse, costing a few cents, they will tell me they had to replace the main motherboard, hence the repair cost is only a "few' hundreds of dollars, and show me a PC's motherboard as "proof". If only a minor problem, make it appear to be a major one, repair costing half price of the new TV.
Furthermore, usable components from one's TV are removed and put in others TV's when being repaired or removed and kept for future use, when the appliance is condemned as unserviceable.

I WILL give my TV to an agent for repair, BUT before that, would like to know what could be the exact cause of the fault and compare it with what I'am being told by my agent, so as not to be taken for a ride.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
There are no user serviceable parts inside.

I see you switched off and on but that is not what I asked you to try. Since board repair is rare, and you want to be an electronic's engineer then I'm guessing you have the usual background on electronics.

What you need next is the service manual. Go get that next.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Check B uttons

I had a similar issue when the display would not turn on, though the TV as a unit has power. It turned out to be jammed buttons issues. If any of the physical buttons the TV is jammed, all other user inputs are blocked by the system. I released the program up-down button, and everything was back to normal.

CNET Forums

Forum Info