LG forum

Question

LG TV 60LA6200

by Alan357 / March 20, 2018 10:03 AM PDT

Turned my 4 1/2 year old TV on today and get the LG splash screen for about 45 seconds with a normal screen "back lights" then it goes completely black and wont do anything. I pulled it off the wall and you can see the LED's are on through the vent slots, till the screen goes black. Is this a common problem with LG TV's and is it worth fixing? TV worked great until this point. I thought I had made a great buy then I bought this TV loved the TV but for the price and not even getting 5 years use out of it I'm second guessing buying a LG product.

Post was last edited on March 20, 2018 10:10 AM PDT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG TV 60LA6200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG TV 60LA6200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually it's a common problem with electronics today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2018 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: LG TV 60LA6200

5 or so year life span designs in short. You'll find sets by other makers with your same complaint (similar post like yours, just change the make.)

So that has folk swearing off maker after maker. My reaction to this was to not buy the maker's most expensive models. Also I don't give them a nickel for "Smart TV."

The problem of repair is CTR (cost to repair) along with MTTR (mean time to repair) can approach half of a new set. And that's if you can get a shop to look at your dead TV.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-60la6200/review/ wasn't that compelling so your next set might outshine this one.

CNET has a lot of guides on TVs. Here's one.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/

Want to DIY (do it yourself) repair? Start here:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/tv-repair-tips

Collapse -
LG TV 60LA6200
by Alan357 / March 20, 2018 2:23 PM PDT

Well I guess my main question should have been, with the description of the problem I gave do you think the problem is a board or is it in LED's that's gone out? If its a board I can handle replacing that myself but I've watched videos of replacing the LED's and I'm sure I could replace them but not sure I want to tackle that on a 60" screen TV.

Collapse -
While LEDs do go out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2018 2:52 PM PDT

Your post doesn't tell me that's it. Remember this is not a TV repair forum and even in such a forum no one will tell you to replace this part to fix it. To fix a TV you become the repair tech and use the information in the service manual. If you can't find a service manual you check sites like I linked along with your prior repair knowledge to make your best guess.

I've seen folk flame others that told them it was a certain board and they replace it and it didn't fix it. The lesson is for the helpful folk that you can't tell anyone what it definitely is. You supply them information so the tech (or owner) can make a better decision. But at the end it is their decision to make.

Collapse -
LG TV 60LA6200
by Alan357 / March 20, 2018 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: While LEDs do go out.

I thank you for your help and I understand there's no way to tell what is really wrong with the TV until you go into it and start diagnosing. Just thought maybe with the symptoms I gave someone might have had that same issue with this model before and a likely fix. I just hate to trash such a great TV but on the other hand I'm not a TV repairman. I can replace parts lol I'm not going to be flaming anyone over any advice given because what I do is a decisions that I have decided to do no one is twisting my arm to make me do anything. Once again thank you for your input and knowledge.

Collapse -
If there are suspect boards
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2018 7:33 PM PDT

It would be power and the main board. Why? Because without power or good power it can do that. Also, the symptoms didn't include "I can hear audio" or "I see images if I shine a flashlight on the LCD panel."

So the power board can be tested by first year techs. Just get out a service manual and it has what voltages to check with an VOM (Volt Ohm Meter.) Sometimes you encounter folk that don't have that or never used a VOM. Those folk have to make a decision to go ahead and learn or just have it repaired or get a new one.

I don't press folk to do the VOM work if they never have since... and here is my warning, there are lethal voltages inside. If you are not versed or trained in working on live electronics then you must stay safe and go with get it repaired or replaced.

Collapse -
Trying to insert link to Youtube Of TV startup
by Alan357 / March 25, 2018 9:53 AM PDT

Thank you for your response and help.
Well that link doesn't look right but I wanted to also add that after the screen goes black the TV is still on because when you hit the power button is does" nothing" well not true because its actually shutting the TV off. then on the second time hitting the power button it comes back on. I've done the flashlight test and there's no activity on the screen once the TV goes black. As far as I can tell no sound but in saying no sound I had the TV setup on my surround sound system and now there's no way of getting to the settings on the TV. I have used a VOM for years so I should be able to test the boards. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can obtain the a service manual for this TV?
Collapse -
PS. As to the question about your model and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2018 7:36 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?