TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LG RH-1999W

Hi

I was thinking of buying this DVD + HDD recorder.
It is for Dhs 1549. Thats about $425. We have no taxes so I will be paying exactly 425.

I copied these from the website:
Recording
. DVD Recording
- DVD+RW/-RW/+R/-R/+R DL
. 250GB HDD
- Max 345 Hr Recording
. DVFX Recording Process
- TrueView Pro

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG RH-1999W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG RH-1999W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
um

In reply to: LG RH-1999W

this product is still very very very very new and not too many places carry it. and because of that, it'll be a little hard to get a review for quite some time.

Collapse -
Specs Impression

In reply to: um

If you look at the specs and features, then what are your impressions?

Thanks

Collapse -
well, specs can only say so much

In reply to: Specs Impression

last year's model had amazing specs. but it was based off of a windows os and always crashed...but you would have never known just by looking at the specs.

couple of things that will turn me away from this one:
1.)it looks like from the specs you listed, they dropped the windows based menu...so it might give you a completely different feel when using it.
2.) it DOESNT RECORD ANYTHING IN HD. it just upconverts dvd's.
3.) you said something about EASILY transferring the stuff you have on the harddrive to your laptop. the obvious is that there will most likely be compatibility issues and the firewire on the unit is only for firmware upgrades and camcorders...NOT for transferring files. last year's model was able to stream videos to the computer through a network through the internet. here is my question for you...it states "dvfx recording process"...so even if you were able to transfer those files onto your comp...what do you plan on doing with it? i highly doubt it will be recorded in an easy to work with format. and it might almost be a proprietery format.
4.) aside from the highly inflated "320 hours of recording time", these features can be found in many different non-hdd dvd recorders already.

i am in no way saying you should or should not buy this unit. i was close to buying last year's model myself until i had a chance to get tivo with subscription for a year for free(which was a tested and very well made system). i did not even bring in the fact that copy right protection may limit you even more.

my suggestion would be to actually buy it from a store with a good return policy (30 days, no restocking fee, item can be opened and used a little bit). see if it is exactly what you are looking for. this looks good on paper.........but its like a tv with 1035901935019350910x10359103950p resolution that you can buy at your local supermarket next to the fruit department.....the bigger the number doesnt always mean it is the better product.

Collapse -
Not recording in HD at all...

In reply to: well, specs can only say so much

I dont have HD broadcast so I wont be recording in Hd and when I do get HD I will upgrade though I wont need to. Mostly I will be recording cook shows and occasionaly movies. Ma be old cartoons like tom and jerry and denice the menace as I remember those good ol days. lol

So is there any way to 'cut' video from the box itself so that I dont have to put it on my PC. The only reason I wanted to put it on to a PC was incase I couldnt cut from the box itself.

Another thing, do you think that this recorder can convert my VHS tapes into DVDs? I can connect the RCA cables into it and record to my HDD OR DVD.

thnx all of you

Collapse -
any ideas?

In reply to: LG RH-1999W

I live in UAE in the Mddle East so maybe you cant get this model in yourplace.

Let say for example I come home from work at 6: 30 and the show starts at 6:00 so I program it to start at 6:00. Now when I start watching at 6:30 then can I watch from the beginning of the show while the live show is being recorded also? So I can fast forward ads and catch up with the show so that towards the end of the show I can watch the show live.

Secondly if I want to store the program on the HDD for some time so that I can show it to someone else, can I cut out he ads? Does this have the cut capability?

If you dont know about this device specifically then can you suggest something like this in the same price range? Preferably from Philips or some really good manufacturer with a good reputation.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.