TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LG-Playstation 3 Loses HDMI connection with certain games

My month-old 47LG70 works well with my new Playstation 3 using the HDMI connection, except for two games (Grand Turismo Prologue and Wall-E). Approximately very 10 seconds with only these two games, the screen goes blank and then displays "HDMI1 Connecting..." in the upper right corner, then the game reappears. (And you've driven into the ditch, since the game kept playing while the screen was black!) It appears to be losing the HDMI connection.

It happens constantly using the HDMI 1 and 2 inputs, and just occasionally with HDMI 3. (only once in about 15 minutes). Why would HDMI 3 retain the connection so much better?

I tried these games with composite video on the LG and it worked fine. It also worked fine with HDMI and my 32-inch Vizio LCD TV.

Other games (Guitar Hero, Resistance, Prince of Persia, etc.) and every Blu-Ray movie we've tried do not have this problem. The TV doesn't lose the HDMI connection when displaying the main Playstation menu, either. Only from within these two games.

ANOTHER CLUE?

When displaying the Playstation's main menu, the LG's screen flashes brightly in about the bottom quarter every few seconds. The timing is irregular and the size of the flash varies. It's very quick- I can't tell if it's pure white or has any detail. The HDMI connection on the Vizio does not do this, either.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG-Playstation 3 Loses HDMI connection with certain games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG-Playstation 3 Loses HDMI connection with certain games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.