TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LG Plasma TV poor resolution

by TJ711 / April 8, 2006 2:21 PM PDT

Has anybody encountered a problem with their Plasma TV displaying too much green?

Just today I noticed that when I am using the Component Video to play DVD, the picture is green. Seems like watching Incredible Hulk from start to end of the movie. I will test the HDMI and see if this is the same problem

I also have problem with the Cable Card. It's not descrambling the card correctly. When I want to channel 308, it displays 30-8 on screen. I have to go to channel 78-5 if I wanted channel 308. Seems like the tuner is out of whack.

I have an LG 50PX5D.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG Plasma TV poor resolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG Plasma TV poor resolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by masterying01 / April 8, 2006 4:53 PM PDT

a lot of times its green when you use component for a dvd player is caused by 2 things. first and most common reason...is that the dvd player is (keep in mind that its just a machine) too stupid to know that you're using component cables to hook things up. samsung ones do that all the time. it gives you the green screen so you can change the output without plugging in another set of cables. go into setup menu on the dvd player (or there might be a switch on the back) and tell it to output a picture through component. if that doesnt work, the component cable (the red cable) is busted...but that rarely happens.

no idea about the cable card. it sounds like the tv is in the antenna mode. make sure the coax is plugged into the right port on the back(there should be 2 different ones on the lg's) and make sure the tv settings are right.

Collapse -
DVD Player
by TJ711 / April 9, 2006 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

The DVD player does not have a Video Component output it only has an S-Video and Composite. I am using a Denon 3805 Receiver which has an up conversion to Video Component. I tried to hook the DVD straight to the TV using S-Video and Composite and it worked fine. I also hooked up the DVD and receiver to a Sony TV throught Video Component and it worked fine too. I replaced the Video Component that connected to the LG and it still produced the same greenish background. I bought a Denon DVD player but it hasn't arrived yet. I am planning to hook it up straight to the LG Plasma through Video Component and HDMI to see if it will make a difference.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will let you know what the outcome is when I get my new DVD player that has a Video Component and HDMI connection.

Collapse -
JMSS ADVICE ON YOUR NEW DENON
by stewart norrie / April 10, 2006 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Player

I hope you bought the 2910/955 or a Denon with d.v.i. and h.d.m.i. output I have my denon hooked uo thru the d.v.i. output straight to the t.v. and the picture is beautiful and in my case using componit vidio cables gave me a horrible picture, I had bought a Denon with componit vidio output only and was so unhappy with it that I sold it to a friend and had to upgrade to a Denon with h.d.m.i. and d.v.i. output let me know how it works out for you and post have a nice days stewart

Collapse -
It has DVI and HDMI
by TJ711 / April 10, 2006 10:09 AM PDT

Hi Stewart I got the 5910 and I look forward to testing the HDMI hook up. I read reviews on this unit and it was great which made me decide to buy it. I used to own the 5000 and fell in love with it because of the superb audio sound. Combined with my B&W speakers, you can practically hear a pin drop. Anyway, I called LG about the greenish problem and they will send a technician over to take a look at it together with the cable card problem. I will keep you posted.

Collapse -
JMSS ALSO TRY THIS
by stewart norrie / April 10, 2006 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: It has DVI and HDMI

(PICTURE MODE ADJUSTMENT) it will say movie, sports and natural modes or something like that I found on my set that the natural setting gave a perfect color balance, but try all the settings until you find one that gives you natural color then go to your adjustment to touch up hue, color, brightness ,contrast and sharpness, I found that using the other modes gave me a red or green picture, also make sure you use a h.d.m.i. or d.v.i. cable from your hi-def cable or satellite box and dont forget the snack bar hope everything works out fine for you keep posting good luck stewart

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.