LG OLEDC8 basic picture settings and notes

Review:
LG OLED65C8P

Related products:
LG OLED55C8P

Calibration report using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 03.00.60

Picture settings notes: CNET is no longer publishing advanced picture settings for any TVs we review. Instead, we'll give more general recommendations to get the best picture without listing the detailed white balance or color management system (CMS) settings we may have used to calibrate the TV. As always, the settings provided are a guidepost, and if you want the most accurate picture you should get a professional calibration.

Prior to calibration the LG C8's Technicolor Expert and ISF Dark settings delivered the most accurate image. The main difference between the two was light output, with Technicolor at about 250 nits and ISF Dark at 200. For my calibration I tweaked the 2-point white balance controls and further improved the image, but it wasn't necessary to adjust the 20-point controls. The CMS was likewise extremely accurate and didn't really need any adjustments, but I performed a couple of mild changes anyway and it improved even more.

It's worth noting that I didn't have to adjust Brightness above the default 50 for full shadow detail -- last year it had to be set at 51. The default setting for BT.1886 gamma was also almost spot-on, an improvement from last year where I used the 2.2 setting instead (because it actually cae closest to my BT.1886 target for SDR).

Settings:

Picture Mode Settings: ISF Expert (Dark Room)
Aspect Ratio Settings: 16:9 (Just Scan: On)
Energy Saving: Off

Additional settings menu:
Eye Comfort Mode: Off
HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color: On [for inputs connected to 4K HDR sources]

Picture mode menu:
OLED LIGHT: 37 for a dark room, Higher (your discretion) for a bright room
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls menu:
Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Color Filter: All Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Gamma: BT.1886
White Balance: Warm 2 [other adjustments will vary per sample]
Color Management System: [no adjustments]

Picture Options menu:
Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Motion Eye Care: All Off [for low-quality sources, some users may prefer to enable noise reduction]
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: User (De-Judder: 0, De-Blur: 10, Motion Pro: Off)

HDR Notes: As with SDR, Technicolor Expert delivered the most-accurate picture settings for HDR10, and it was superb, even better than last year. It tracked the EOTF extremely closely, showed a very accurate color checker reading and excellent coverage of the P3 gamut. I also appreciated that, just like last year, the LG OLEDs automatically detected and engaged the "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" setting designed for HDR sources.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LG OLEDC8 basic picture settings and notes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LG OLEDC8 basic picture settings and notes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link to calibration results
- Collapse -
Should 2017 OLED TVs Use These Settings?

I have a 2017 LG OLEDC7P using the CNET posted settings based off the Cinema picture profile. At the time of review there were no ISF Expert (Dark Room ) or Technicolor Expert settings so it makes sense that Cinema was the best. The 2017 LG OLEDs have now received both these profiles via a software update. Given that the panels themselves are the same but different processor/software would the 2017 sets be improved by using these settings or stay with the original Cinema recommended settings?

- Collapse -
Should 2017 OLED TVs Use These Settings?

I have a 2017 LG OLEDC7P using the CNET posted settings based off the Cinema picture profile. At the time of review there were no ISF Expert (Dark Room ) or Technicolor Expert settings so it makes sense that Cinema was the best. The 2017 LG OLEDs have now received both these profiles via a software update. Given that the panels themselves are the same but different processor/software would the 2017 sets be improved by using these settings or stay with the original Cinema recommended settings?

- Collapse -
Additional Picture Modes

In my calibration of a B7A, I found that the Technicolor Expert mode was the most accurate starting point. However, I also decided to use a brightness of 55 instead of 50 or 51.

- Collapse -
Real Cinema and Tru Motion

From everything I've read, Tru Motion and Real Cinema can't run at the same time. So when you list your settings with Real Cinema on and Tru Motion user with a de-blur of 10, you're actually bypassing Real Cinema altogether and falling back on a 3:2 pulldown with de-blur or 10.

- Collapse -
OLED65C8P Firmware 04.10.05

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic reduction in perceived brightness & contrast in the Technicolor & other "expert" modes after update to this firmware? I received the update 9/26/18 after we had the set about a month; I did not note the original FW but it was something like 03.xx.90. IMO this reduction in brightness (our room is pretty dark) makes those modes unusable as typical flesh tones are now so dark as to take on a blue/grey/black hue.

BTW can anyone please explain the difference between OLED illumination level & "brightness" settings. Given that OLED screens are active emitters, I can't see (to a first approximation) how the two settings would be different.

- Collapse -
A quick check finds firmware version 04.10.06
- Collapse -
Where did you find *.06?

The FW updater in our set does not find it. Tnx.

- Collapse -
It was in some thread on the web.
- Collapse -

Katzmaier, with the firmware 04.10.06, ISF expert option is now gone. Does CNET plan on releasing an updated calibration? With a bit of reading, I am experiencing the too aggressive dimming issues. Hoping there is a workaround for this.

- Collapse -
Does this apply to the 2017's as well (e.g. OLEDC7)?

In the LG OLEDC7 review the recommended mode was Cinema. With the new software should the 2017s use the same settings as the 2018s or stick with Cinema?

CNET Forums

Forum Info