https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oled65e7p/

Review:
LG OLED55C7P
LG OLED65E7P

Related products:
LG OLED65C7P
LG OLED55E7P

TV software/firmware version tested: (C7 and E7) 3.51.00

Picture settings notes: As of the 2017 model year, CNET is no longer publishing advanced picture settings for any TVs we review. Instead, we'll give more general recommendations to get the best picture without listing the detailed white balance or color management system (CMS) settings we may have used to calibrate the TV. The main reason for the change is that individual TVs vary quite a bit, in particular review samples received from manufacturers, so if readers use our white balance and CMS settings, they won't necessarily be making their images any more accurate -- and may make them worse.

As always, the settings provided are a guidepost, and if you want the most accurate picture you should get a professional calibration.

C7 notes: Prior to calibration the LG's Cinema setting delivered the most accurate image, and its default gamma and color temperature were very good on the review sample I tested. For my calibration I tweaked the 2-point white balance controls but and further improved the image, but it wasn't necessary to adjust the 20-point controls. The CMS was likewise extremely accurate without any adjustments.

E7 notes: Cinema was again the best initial mode, but it was a bit less accurate on this sample, and color in particular was an issue. I was able to achieve very good results calibrating with the two-point system, again rendering the 20-point system unecessary, but I did try to improve colors with the CMS.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get much improvement using those controls--despite significantly improving the primary and secondary measurements, the average saturation and color checker error numbers remained around 4.5, above my 3.0 target and barely better than the default measurements of around 5. Since those adjustments required utilizing the extreme registers of the CMS controls (particularly saturation), I decided to zero them out rather than risk adverse effects in program material.

C7/E7 settings:

Picture menu

Smart Picture Mode: Off
Picture Mode Settings: Cinema (user)
Aspect Ratio Settings: 16:9 (Just Scan: On)
Energy Saving: Off
Eye Comfort Mode: Off

Picture mode menu:
C7 OLED LIGHT: 37 for a dark room, Higher (your discretion) for a bright room
E7 OLED LIGHT: 33 for a dark room, Higher (your discretion) for a bright room
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls menu:
Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Edge Enhancer, Color Filter: All Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2
White Balance: Warm 2 [other adjustments will vary per sample]
Color Management System: [no adjustments]

Picture Options menu:
Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Motion Eye Care: All Off [for low-quality sources, some users may prefer to enable noise reduction]
Real Cinema: TK
TruMotion: TK [see review for details]

HDR Notes: As with SDR, Cinema delivered the most-accurate picture settings. Compared to last year's B6 and E6, the 2017 OLED TVs I measured showed improvements in EOTF, along with slightly better advanced color metrics and identical coverage of the P3 gamut. I also appreciated that, just like last year, the LG OLEDs automatically detected and engaged the "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" setting designed for HDR sources.

Between the two 2017 OLEDs, the E7 was actually a bit more accurate than the C7 with advanced color metrics, but measured a percent smaller gamut. Light output in HDR was very similar between the two.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG OLED55C7P and OLED65E7P basic picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG OLED55C7P and OLED65E7P basic picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LG OLED 55C7P
by doctor_cruz / April 20, 2017 11:56 AM PDT

David:

Congrats on another brilliant review. Just a couple of questions

How come no picture setting for contrast?

Why did this time did you select the Cinema as the picture mode setting instead of Expert 1 or 2 as in previous reviews?
Thank you.

Collapse -
Calibration
by fkbud66 / July 14, 2017 7:51 PM PDT

What a lousy calibration!! How can u review a TV when it is not calibrated to its peak performance.

Collapse -
What are your settings ?
by alexbarbelmania / July 19, 2017 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Calibration

OK, so you say this is a lousy calibration which implies you have a much better one. Having just bought a 65B7V I could do with a little help. Will you please share your superior calibration settings so that I can get my TV looking it's best ?

Collapse -
pc mode question
by rajh00t / July 20, 2017 7:55 AM PDT

Thanks for the settings! Just picked this set up. I have a question- how do you turn on PC Mode? I've been reading that with pc mode on you can get accurate colors without sacrificing input lag. Thanks!

Collapse -
Pc input mode
by Jinxlinx / July 24, 2017 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: pc mode question

Set input to pc, in the input setting menu. Simply set icon, name for specific hdmi.

Collapse -
Pc Mode
by TroyHoward70 / October 3, 2017 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Pc input mode

My TV comes in this Wednesday and I'm curious if that PC mode input actually works for color accuracy. I haven't had a new TV in so long I'm not sure if that mode applies to all inputs for HDMI cable selections. Like from my PlayStation 4 or Blu-ray player. Can you advise. Thanks.

Collapse -
Pc mode
by James10111 / December 2, 2017 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: Pc Mode

Hi there.. I can find pc mode either .. when I go to HDMI inputs it allows me to rename the input to whatever I want and I can change he icon to 'pc'. Is his what you mean for pc mode ?

Collapse -
Pc mode
by James10111 / December 2, 2017 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Pc input mode

How do I send the input to pc please ? I can go to inputs and rename hdmi to whatever I want and change the icon to a picture of a pc.. is this correct please ?

Collapse -
works for me
by James Denison / December 2, 2017 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: Pc mode

I can then change to that HDMI port and send content direct from PC to the TV. In fact, I'm using a TV right now also as my monitor screen.

Collapse -
T.v setting
by Jinxlinx / July 24, 2017 12:11 AM PDT

Non Hdr - "Game Mode" for PC/movies
ENERGY SAVE OFF
EYE COMFORT ON
OLED 100
CONTRAST 100
BRIGHTNESS 66 - 63 IS A THRESHOLD for deeper blacks.
SHARPNESS 40
COLOR 69
COLOR TEMP W19
TINT R7
DYNAMIC CONTRAST OFF
DYNAMIC COLOR OFF
PERFERD COLOR NULL
COLOR GARMET DEFAULT
SUPER RES MEDIUM
GAMMA MEDIUM
NOISE REDUCTION OFF
MPEG OFF
BLACK LEVEL LOW
REAL CINEMA OFF
MOTION EYE OFF
TRU MOTION OFF

Collapse -
Picture settings
by doctor_cruz / August 17, 2017 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: T.v setting

Strongly recommend Picture Settings by katzmaier of CNET over any other suggested Picture Settings recommended in this forum.

Collapse -
Cinema Mode?
by gmallen / August 17, 2017 5:54 PM PDT

Other testers use IFS Expert (Light of Dark as appropriate) mode for their work. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Calibration
by jcsms1 / October 24, 2017 4:51 PM PDT

Its pointless comparing settings on tv. There are differences in how each person perceive colo(u)r. Ask 5 persons what they perceive the sky as, you will get at least 3 different answer. Even motion blur is perceived differently. Even if a pro calibrator is utilised, it cannot recreate what the individual perceive as comfortable or preferable. Me, I Do Not Like the pinkish samsung color rendering. I dislike sony's picture. To me its artificial, like a picture on a poster. But majority of viewers like it, including samsung's pinkish tint. I have personally ask my friends when in shops, do they see the pinkish tint in samsung or the artificial picture in sony, most replied that they dont perceive the pink and prefer the sony's artificial picture. But they do agree that sony's picture is not true to live as compared to real world surroundings.
Best is to understand what each of the option does, then calibrate to each individual or group viewing preference.

Collapse -
No contrast setting
by Kujoe30 / November 2, 2017 12:04 PM PDT

I was seeing if u could send me the contrast setting for the c7p u didn't put it in your review. And if possible could u give me the settings u used for the white balance and color management I get that every tv is different and every ones set up is also but I would like to try your setting to see if I like it. Thanks for great reviews all the time

Collapse -
Yes Dave provided Contrast setting
by doctor_cruz / November 2, 2017 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: No contrast setting

As per Dave, select under picture mode the Cinema User setting. It will automatically populate your LG TV with the picture settings recommended by Dave in his review, including a Contrast Setting of 85. I strongly recommend you listen to Dave and take his picture setting recommendations. He is without a doubt the best in the industry. He gets it right all of the time. I have been following him for over 10 years. When I buy a new TV, it will be one he recommends. From experience his recommended picture settings will make your TV picture look beautiful. I have friends that come to my house, and they all end up telling me they wish their TV would look as good as mine. There is no secret I tell them, just go to Cnet and follow Dave's TV picture settings for the TVs he has reviewed.

Collapse -
White balance
by Roscobhoy / November 21, 2017 11:17 AM PST

Hi I have LG OLED55C7V and wondering why the white balance is greyed out and unable to change the setting. Thanks

Collapse -
Screen Uniformity Issue
by KeithBartig / November 22, 2017 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: White balance

I have a LG OLED65C7P and notice screen uniformity issues especially when viewing white content. Attached is an image showing an all white screen and I notice faint broad vertical bands of warmer/slightly peach shade white vs. bright white. Has anyone noticed this on their LG OLED? I am trying to determine if this is an issue or just a characteristic of OLED screens.

Collapse -
Not Seen
by gmallen / November 22, 2017 1:24 PM PST

My LG OLED55C7P is free of the described effect.

Collapse -
Screen Uniformity Issue
by KeithBartig / November 28, 2017 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Not Seen

Can you please test using the white screen image on YouTube? It is faint, but I notice variances in the shade of white and would like to know my panel is defective or if others can notice very slight variances (warmer vs. cooler) in white temperature. The Rtings review stated in their Grey Uniformity section that the right side of the screen was slightly warmer and that is the same as mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKB0JUkksJg

Collapse -
Well done discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2017 9:30 AM PST
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2896737-oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-vignetting.html kicks it around.

If you are looking for a perfect display, you may not find one. Go for perfect blacks then you see issues at perfect whites. Want to mess up the owner that thinks theirs is perfect. Start with black then 1,2,3,4,5 etc. percents up to full white.

I have yet to find a perfect display. The all white display is non-typical use so it's only use is for testing which I think will fail.

Post was last edited on November 28, 2017 10:08 AM PST

Collapse -
Would you replace this set?
by KeithBartig / January 5, 2018 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Well done discussion.

Attached are images of my LG OLED65C7P. The first is 100% white that shows the peach color warmer white tone vertical bands (mostly on right) and the second is 5% grey. My concern is it is a gamble when exchanging sets so want to know if this is one of the better or worse examples so I know if I should exchange it. Thank you for everyone's help, very much appreciated!!!

100% White

5% Grey

Collapse -
Depends on how it looks when I use it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 10:09 AM PST

Testing like this will show issues. Do these issues cause unacceptable views of movies and content? If so, you have your answer.

Collapse -
PS. Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2018 10:11 AM PST

I will not replace this set. That's up to the maker or seller. The decision to ask is still up to you but I didn't sell or make it so I think this is a fine example of English issues.

Collapse -
Watched Entire Video, Really Boring
by martinnel / November 29, 2017 8:12 PM PST

OK, just kidding. I ran the white test and found there was a little play from warm to cold depending on where I stood, but it was very subtle and did not seem to be married to any one part of the screen. There was also very noticeable banding at 1% to about 4% black and then became significantly less evident.

So now this forum has succeeded in making me less satisfied with my expensive TV.

Martin

Collapse -
Near Black Test
by KeithBartig / November 30, 2017 1:40 PM PST

What did you use for the near black test? I would like to test mine as well.

Collapse -
Nevermind
by KeithBartig / November 30, 2017 1:42 PM PST

I just began to read the AVS Forum recommendation in the other post and saw it is right there.

Collapse -
Uneven white balance
by walt bromby / July 15, 2018 9:19 AM PDT

This sounds like the issue i have with my CP7. I started noticing this when watching a golf tournament or football game. For example a golf green will look slightly less saturated on about the left one third of the screen. It's more dark green in the middle of and on the right side of the screen. When I move to the right, the golf green will become fully saturated. So when I put on the White Balance screen from youtube, I do see the slight peach color on the left side. Is this something that can be fixed with a warranty call? Thanks.

Collapse -
Uneven white balance response
by KeithBartig / July 25, 2018 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Uneven white balance

It depends on if you are within the warranty period. I was able to get mine replaced by Best Buy since I was within warranty. The replacement is fantastic. My understanding is it was due to quality control issues in some of the factories that has now been resolved. Just what I heard so not positive. However, new screen is much improved so I would try if you are still within warranty.

Collapse -
TK?
by martinnel / November 24, 2017 8:57 AM PST

These settings were great and really helpful. One of my most critical concerns in using them was getting rid of the "Soap Opera Effect," which my wife and I both hate. This was achieved by setting TruMotion (Settings/All Settings/Picture/Picture Mode Settings/Picture Options/TruMotion) to Off. In your settings you suggest to set both TruMotion and Real Cinema to TK. What does 'TK' mean. Sorry, that's just not an abbreviation or acronym I'm familiar with.

Worth noting, by the way, nearly at the very bottom of the Picture Mode settings (and therefore easy to overlook) is an 'Apply to All Inputs' setting. This is my first smart TV and I had no idea they were so sophisticated as to offer different settings for different inputs. I couldn't figure out why my cable was still showing the Soap Opera Look when I had eliminated it elsewhere. Applying to all inputs took care of this.

Martin

Collapse -
Same Question
by DKeithM / November 24, 2017 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: TK?

I came to ask the same question. I don't see a reference in the review.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.