Alert

LG OLED 4K TVs cannot properly display 16:9 images

So, I've recently confirmed that LG's entire line of OLED 4K TVs can't properly display 16:9 aspect ratio images without stretching them horizontally across the TV's entire 2160x4096 ~17:9 display. I even got them to send a technician to my house, and he verified that the TVs are designed to be that way hoping that people wouldn't notice. Personally, I'm pretty steamed that LG would sell such a display, in full knowledge of this defect, and madder still that they refuse to fix it.

If you haven't noticed it yet, try mirroring a laptop or computer to the TV so you can compare the screens 1:1. It became clear as crystal once I did that.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LG OLED 4K TVs cannot properly display 16:9 images
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LG OLED 4K TVs cannot properly display 16:9 images
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
True for this pixel count.

It's documented at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution#Resolutions so only only TVs with 3840 × 2160 pixels would result in 1.77∶1 (16∶9) display.

This isn't hidden anywhere. Just have to check the specs of any set you buy today.

The clamor over the change from 4:3 hasn't quite died down yet either.

- Collapse -
Pixel count shouldn't matter.

Except that LG touts the set as a UHD 4K display, which should be 3840x2160.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55B7P-oled-4k-tv

And regardless of the display's pixel count, it should still be able to display a 16:9 image without distortion, yes? Shouldn't a 17:9 display have an option to display 16:9 across 3840 of its 4096 pixels?

- Collapse -
A design decision was made.

There are folk that complain about black bars so you can win, no matter which choice you make.

If you want 16:9 your safe bet is a display with the right number of pixels.

- Collapse -
But they lied.
- Collapse -
RE: UHD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution (noted by Bob, above) is clear (bold from me):

"In October 2012, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) announced their definition of the term Ultra High-Definition (or Ultra HD) for use with marketing consumer display devices.[20] CEA defines an Ultra HD product as a TV, monitor, or projector with the following characteristics:[21]
- A resolution of 3840 × 2160 or larger
- An aspect ratio of 1.77∶1 (16∶9) or wider

If you don't like it, don't buy it. But it might be nice to view BR DVD's using the cinematographic standard. That mostly are movies.
- Collapse -
LG sells it as a UHD set
- Collapse -
If the company misrepresents the product.

Then you can get a refund on that alone. However they may want to use this passage (in their user manual.)

"Product specifications may be changed without
prior notice due to upgrade of product functions"

In spite of that, just press your point it is not what is represented in the web page (be sure to print that since they could change it and remove your proof) and go for the refund.

- Collapse -
It really is 3840x2160 (16:9)

I stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add some information since I have a similar set and I'm quite familiar with the facts. It's true that the set will accept a 4096x2160 picture, but the native resolution (actual size in pixels) is 3840x2160 and that is what you normally get unless you use a device that that has the special capability to send a 4096x2160 picture. Consumer devices do NOT have that capability. I am able to do that with a HTPC and there is specialized equipment that will do it, but that is all.

I physically measured the aspect ratio on my B6 OLED and it came out at exactly 1.78 (16:9) so you.re getting exactly what was advertised.

But what about 4096x2160? I set up my HTPC for the 4096x2160 display and displayed a 16:9 test pattern. The result was black bars on the sides and pattern distortion (circles became ovals). So, it will display 4096x2160, but slightly distorted. Better than nothing, I guess.

So, why have it at all? In the movie industry, 4K actually means 4096 rather than 3840 so there is actually material that is 4096x2160 and maybe this is a selling point in those cases. Unfortunately it can cause also confusion when somebody decides to really delve into the specs (and you do have to really dig down in the service manual to find this information).

- Collapse -
Thought of another reason they may not do black bars. OLED!

Just like PLASMA TVs there is some wear in the display that if they didn't turn on pixels there could be the same issue as we saw in PLASMA TVs. I didn't think about that issue till later. Sorry about that.

This is another reason (my bet) is they designed it to work this way.

- Collapse -
The Mummy Returns!

After so many years of using LCD sets that do not exhibit burn-in except under extreme conditions, it is a bit dismaying to see this monster return with OLEDs, where it may even be worse -- quicker to happen and more severe -- than it was on old-timey CRTs and plasma sets.

Yes, you're going to have to match your screen resolution with your source if you do not want either distortion or burn-in on an OLED TV. This is a darn shame, because OLED pictures really are otherwise superior and the sets can be made literally paper-thin and bendable/foldable if the manufacturers wish.

CNET Forums

Forum Info