LG forum

Question

LG MS500 phone

I have an LG MS500 phone that I am pleased with except for when it comes to being able to handle apps. I installed a 32GB card in it to give me plenty of storage room yet whenever I try to install an app, ANY app, I receive the message that there is not enough available storage. How do I direct these new apps to my microSD card and also how do I move whatever is in the internal storage to the SD card? This is not covered in the manual that came with the phone. Even the phone store people can't tell me. Need help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG MS500 phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG MS500 phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You're right.

In reply to: LG MS500 phone

If there's a sorely uncovered area in Android it's how memory is used. You have RAM, and then in Android the internal memory and then your SD Card which does not expand the program storage automatically.

So here we are and you want a fix. I know of no quick fix other than to uninstall a few apps then look for ANY option in the Android Apps controls to move apps to the SD Card. This is all over the map so I never write how. Just what I look for. The reason is that this changes with version of Android and the phone maker can change this too.

So it's a mess.

Collapse -
PS. Tech specs are cruel.

In reply to: You're right.

http://www.gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/lg/ms500/LG-MS500.html shows a 1GB RAM, 4GB storage phone.

This means you have a phone you might get by with 1 or 2 apps then start having issues. OK for phone, messaging but not much more.

And to pre-emptively answer a common question. NO. Android does not offer a way to download and install apps to your SD Card directly. It never has done that, it's not a feature yet folk ask all the time.

With that out of the way, you manage such a phone by uninstalling what you can then look for the Move to SD Card in Settings.
Collapse -
About right

In reply to: You're right.

I thank you for your news, even though its not what I was hoping for. I gather from your email that this is not a problem common to all cell phones. I'll take your advice, doodle around with it and if I can't fix it satisfactorily, I'll just replace it with a newer, more user friendly phone. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Doodle!

In reply to: About right

Yes that is what it takes. Uninstall to free up space for the app you really wanted then look for the move to SD Card in Settings Apps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!