LG forum

General discussion

LG blu ray player shuts off

by bimfi / October 30, 2014 4:14 PM PDT

I have an LG 3D Blu Ray player that is about 3 years old. Recently it started shutting off unexpectedly. I seldom use it to play discs, but I do use it every day to run Pandora. In the last couple of weeks it will shut off any time I change stations on Pandora. Sometimes it will shut off after playing two songs. I checked firmware and it is up to date. I have reset the player and have powered it off numerous times. If I run a different app, it does not shut off. Only while running Pandora does it do this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG blu ray player shuts off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG blu ray player shuts off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2014 12:52 AM PDT

Just like PCs, laptops I'm finding products that are either heat sensitive, failed or need the usual canned air vent cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
Yup
by bimfi / October 31, 2014 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

Well, other than just failing, I found nothing causing any overheating. Plenty of ventilation and air flow through the vents. And I can't figure out why it ONLY happens when running Pandora Internet Radio but not with other internet radio apps! Is there a way to reinstall the Pandora app afresh?

Collapse -
Can try that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2014 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup

I didn't write it was overheating, just something heat sensitive. That's tech code for it's not a hard failure.

Frankly, if reloading the app works, it points to software issues by those that write said code.
Bob

Collapse -
Contacted Pandora
by bimfi / October 31, 2014 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Can try that.

Thanks. My misunderstanding. I sent an email to Pandora to see about reinstalling the app. Hopefully it can be done AND will fix the issue. Will post again if it does or doesn't work.

Collapse -
Pandora help?
by Mehdn / August 29, 2015 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Contacted Pandora

Did anyone get a fix. I've called LG and they are no help. They said they would check with Pandora and try to get a fix but they had no idea when.

Collapse -
Nod....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2015 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Pandora help?

Companies like Pandora, Google break things and it may be months to never till it's fixed. Since you demand a fix today, make this your reason to return this device to the store, get a full refund and buy a working model.

Collapse -
Lg blu Ray
by Jay_Ra / December 3, 2015 8:42 AM PST

I am having the same problem. Pandora and Netflix...the player itself.... Anyone found a solution.. Player would power off after 2 or so minutes and no sound. I did a factory reset. Didn't work.

Collapse -
At 3+ years repair is no longer an option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2015 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Lg blu Ray

Why? Cost of repair OOW (out or warranty) is more than a new player. Irks folk but if the above, shop for a new one.

Collapse -
Lg blu Ray
by Jay_Ra / December 3, 2015 11:31 AM PST

I am having the same problem. Pandora and Netflix...the player itself.... Anyone found a solution.. Player would power off after 2 or so minutes and no sound. I did a factory reset. Didn't work.

Collapse -
Lg blu ray player
by Jay_Ra / December 3, 2015 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Lg blu Ray

I found the problem/solution with my LG blu Ray player ...problem is the HDMI port .. Solution use rca out ..

Collapse -
LG Blu Ray Player Shuts Off
by Joe-nj / December 8, 2015 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: Lg blu ray player

I am having the same problem, only when using Pandora, and it's not my HDMI cable because I don't have one attached to that unit. I've always used the RCA jacks and never had a problem before now. My A/V does not have an HDMI input.

The LG Blu Ray player shuts itself off after 2 or 3 songs. Seems to turn off at the end of a song usually.

Collapse -
Then it's a repair issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2015 2:20 PM PST

I take it you have done all the above with resets, latest firmware and now it's dead. Time to call LG for service. Hope it's in warranty.

Collapse -
LG Blu Ray Player Shuts Off
by Joe-nj / December 8, 2015 4:57 PM PST

It works for everything except Pandora. It seems to shut off at the start of a new track. Sometimes it does it at the start of the first track, sometimes it plays 1, 2, 3, or 4, then does it on the next one.

I replaced the batteries on the remote, took the remote out of the room, switched from wireless to wired, did all the updates, and it still happens.

I think it's a software issue resulting from an upgrade.

It's not worth buying a new dvd player just for Pandora.

Collapse -
Pandora Powers Off Blu-Ray Player
by DJKKDK / January 8, 2016 1:34 PM PST

Used Pandora on my LG BD670 Blu-Ray for 3 years frequently w/o issue.

In the 2nd-half 2015, the LG would auto power off when Pandora was on. Assumed it was the LG failing. LG model is discontinued, no software updates, no tech help from LG, no warranty. So with age and cost, replaced it with a new Sony BPD S5550 Blu-Ray -- same problem. Then thought it might be the Receiver, but did a trial with another Receiver -- same problem.

Then came to realize it ONLY happens w Pandora, not with Netflix or other APPS, not when playing a DVD. Powering off occurs when Pandora Radio Station (PRS) JUST starts first song, OR when PRS JUST changes to next song, OR when PRS is JUST changed to another station. It's incredibly predictable now. Most of the time the BR powers off the instant a song begins to play as described above, but sometimes it just freezes, requiring unplugging to get it going again.

I have tried resetting LG back to factory defaults w/o success. I have replaced the HDMI w/o success. I do not understand how the Pandora APP itself can power off the Blu-Ray. From the postings above, others experience this also. We have gone from Pandora on all day to its elimination.

Can anyone help please?

Collapse -
Pandora Powers Off Blu-Ray Player
by Joe-nj / January 8, 2016 1:57 PM PST

My work-around is to run Pandora off of my smart phone or a tablet and plug it into the sound system. I tried running Pandora again on my LG after unplugging and completely resetting it and now, it always shuts down at the start of the first Pandora track whereas before, it sometimes played 1 to 3 tracks before shutting down.

Collapse -
DVD player and Pandora troubles
by 67-Camaro / January 24, 2016 3:14 PM PST

Hello,
I have the same issue with my LG 3D DVD player. Other apps work fine, only when I open Pandora do I have an issue. It now shuts the player down as soon as I try and open Pandora. After reading the other posts, I've come the guess that's its a software issue acquired during an update. Its now worth paying to get the player fixed. I'll go old school and connect stereo directly to cell phone. 3.5mm to rca cable is a lot cheaper then a new dvd player.

Collapse -
Apple TV Fixed my Problem
by DJKKDK / January 31, 2016 1:15 PM PST

I posted the problem on DJKKDK / January 8, 2016 1:34 PM PST.
In line with the Jan-8 & Jan-24 responses, my work-around fix was to install an Apple TV 3rd Generation ($65) to access Pandora (and other APPS). Access Pandora via my I-Phone / Wi-Fi, and then sync it with Apple TV, and all works fine. My I-Phone thus serves as a remote for Pandora selections. My existing Blu-Ray serves to play DVD's. While it cost $65 to fix it, the problem is solved for one who listens a lot to Pandora, plus Apple TV offers additional benefits that I need to learn and take advantage of.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.