LG 55UH8500

Related products:
LG 60UH8500
LG 65UH8500
LG 75UH8500

Calibration report using these settings:
[se below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 03.15.25

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the LG 55UH8500 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Prior to any adjustment, the ISF Expert (Dark Room) preset was the best for my room since it was a bit more accurate and dimmer than the default Cinema setting. I was able to get a nearly perfect grayscale with minor tweaks to the 2-point system. Gamma still had some issues, however, so I tried correcting them using the 20-point system. Unfortunately the adjustments required were extreme, for a relatively minor improvement, so I decided to abandon the 20-point system entirely.

I also played around with the CMS to try fixing the minor errors in red, blue and magenta, chiefly luminance, but the fixes resulted in overall slightly worse color checker and luminance error averages for all colors, so again I went back to the default.

Picture settings:

Picture menu
Picture Mode: Expert (Dark Room)
Picture adjust menu: [see below]

--- Picture Adjust menu
Backlight: 40
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Normal
Edge enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off (greyed out)
Gamma: BT.1886

--White Balance sub-menu
Color Temperature: Warm2
Method: 2 Points
Point Low: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Point High: Red -6, Green 0, Blue 0

Method: 20 Points
[no changes]

--Color Management System sub-menu
[no changes]

--Picture option Menu
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On (greyed out)
Motion Eye Care: Off (greyed out)
LED Local Dimming: Medium
TruMotion: Off

HDR Notes: I measured HDR using workflows supplied by Spectracal, makers of the CalMan software I use for SDR calibration, along with a Murideo Fresco SIG-6 signal generator (I prefer it to the QD780 generator I was using previously). With better equipment and improved workflows I'm getting more confident in these measurements, but I still don't consider them as definitive as with SDR (especially the EOTF measurements). Everything noted below relates to HDR10 testing; I did not perform measurements of the UH8500's Dolby Vision capabilities.

When the UH8500 is sent an HDR10 signal it only allows one of three picture modes--HDR Vivid, HDR Bright and HDR Normal--with HDR Bright as the default. In my dark room I chose HDR Normal. Since I don't calibrate for HDR, I kept the settings in their default modes for testing, but at least one setting, "edge enhancement," I certainly would change for normal viewing (see the review for details).

The HDR Vivid setting actually produced the widest color gamut measurement (87% of DCI/P3) but it was too bright for a dim room, and too inaccurate in terms of grayscale. The HDR Standard setting delivered around 84%, worse than both the Samsung KS8000 (93%) and Sony XBR-X930D (91%). Both of those TVs measured their widest gamuts without having to resort to a "Vivid"-type mode.

Note that these results were measured with the CIE 1931 xy chromaticity diagram. Higher numbers (91% in Vivid, 89% in Standard for the LG, and both in line with LG's claim of 90%) can be achieved using the CIE 1976 uv diagram, but since I've been using the older diagram to measure previous TVs, I'll stick with it for now. Unlike on the Sony or Samsung, changing the LG's "color space" setting didn't affect the percentage of gamut coverage.

The UH8500 registered very good results for P3 saturation (delta error of 2.6) and color checker (2.5), beating both the Samsung KS8000 and the Sony XBR-X930D.

The UH8500 was about the same as the others at adhering to the target ST2084 (PQ) EOTF. Its main issue was early roll-off at 70 IRE, which was quite a bit dimmer than the target, and a blue grayscale at 70 IRE and above. I'm still getting my head around EOTF measurements, however, so this is still my least-confident HDR measurement.

Post was last edited on July 28, 2016 9:44 AM PDT

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: LG 55UH8500 picture settings and HDR notes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LG 55UH8500 picture settings and HDR notes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link to calibration report
- Collapse -
Questions

Hi thanks for these. I have some questions, where is the review? It says to read the review for details but I can't find it. What picture settings do you recommend for games(PS4)? Also for cable box/soccer viewing?

- Collapse -
Too Yellow or Not Yellow Enough!

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for posting your results. Buying (or helping others buy) TVs over the years, your reviews and settings are the first stop I make to see about getting a great TV (relative to a particular budget and/or sale) and then to calibrate it accordingly.

This particular set of calibrations (I tried these settings on both a 6150 and 7650 recently) douse the entire picture in a sickly yellow color. It seems that the culprit is the Warm2 setting under Color Temperature. I found myself switching over to the Cinema setting and changing the Color Temp to Medium, and the color accuracy was MUCH closer for my eyes, EXCEPT (ironically) when it comes to the yellows! Watching an episode of The Simpsons, our favorite characters all have a rather green-ish yellow color to them rather than the trademark Springfield Yellow I've seen over the years on so many other TVs. With that said, nearly every other color is rich, accurate and beautiful at this setting. Watching Aladdin or The Force Awakens, and every scene is positively brimming with what feels like vivid, beautiful color.

I'm going to try some additional tweaks this evening (I agree that the Cinema comes in a bit too bright, so I may dial back the brightness as well), but I'd love to get your suggestions on how to balance things out for these models. It seems that the 7650 in particular (that's the TV I recently purchased) is simply a 7700 without 240Hz processing (I agree, hooey!), which itself is an 8500 without the 3D, so these settings should be pretty universal across these models.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

CNET Forums