LG 55EC9300 picture settings

Review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

Related products:
None

Calibration report using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 04.30.08

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the LG 55EC9300 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Prior to calibration the Cinema and default Expert presets were the most-accurate, albeit not as perfect as I've seen on many TVs' pre-calibration modes. They were somewhat plus-red/minus blue, and quite a bit brighter (56 fL) than I found comfortable for dark viewing.

I adjusted the two-point system to get the grayscale relatively close, but the 20-point system did not work well. It required very large shifts to accomplish anything, and even then it didn't deliver the kind of improvement in gamma and grayscale I've come to expect from multipoint systems. I spent a couple of hours trying it with only marginal results, and in the end gave up and zeroes out the system rather than risk it introducing too many aberrations. I also noticed that during adjustment my changes seemed to "take" more effectively, but when I closed out the menu to measure (necessary to preserve accuracy), the changes seemed to revert.

There was also a large dip in gamma at from 10-30 IRE, an issue that actually the charts much less linear. .It only apeared during a full measurement "run," meaning that when the light levels were measured independently, they evened out considerably. That's a good thing for gamma linearity, but would have pushed average gamma down to around 2.25.

With the exception of blue, the CMS worked very well to improve the already-accurate colors. When I did try adjusting blue to improve it, turning up saturation (which appeared to help on the charts) introduced excessive noise in program material, so I left it alone.

My 55EC9300 review sample was aged to 100 hours before calibration and review, but but there's no reason you need to similarly break it in before you apply the settings below

Picture menu
Picture Mode: Expert 1
Picture adjust menu: [see below]
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan
Energy Saving: Off
[no other adjustments]

--- Picture Adjust menu
OLED LIGHT: 39
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 58
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [greyed out]
Gamma: 2.4

--White Balance sub-menu
Color Temperature: Warm2
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
High: Red -9, Green -5, Blue 9
Low: Red 0 Green -2, Blue -6

[did not adjust 20-point system; see notes above]

--Color Management System sub-menu
[listed in order of Saturation, Tint, Luminance]
R: -1, -7, -2
G: 0, 0, 2
B: 0, 0, -3
C: -7, -1, 0
M: 0, -2, 0
Y: 0, 5, 0

--Picture option Menu
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On [greyed out]
Motion Eye Care: Off [greyed out]
TruMotion: Off

Note: This post was edited by its original author Corrected software version number and clarified Color Management settings and corrected Yellow Saturation from -8 to 0. on 09/17/2014 at 5:17 AM PT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LG 55EC9300 picture settings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LG 55EC9300 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link to calibration report
- Collapse -
Tv calibration

Can I ask why we do not need to wait for our tv to break in 100 hours before we apply these settings? Also can I ask your opinion on a calibration done by pogomix. Found him through Google, he seems to be quite the picture enthusiast and has posted his calibrations which included his settings on the 20 point scale. That is the only real difference between yours settings and his. Everything else seems to be quite close for the most part. I was just curious what your opinion was on that part specifically. Thanks! Very helpful review! Just bought my 9100 model a few days ago!

- Collapse -
got this TV just yesterday

I had waited 10 years for OLED to come to the point of affordable. Near half the price of their first introduction and the old 52" Sony Bravia set going on the fritz, I decided contrast ratio was more important than a size or resolution upgrade. My viewing distance wouldn't use 4k and I am fine with a 55 inch TV.

Thanks for the pogomix name drop. I found him and read his post. Its great someone else went through the settings and found proper calibration.

CNET Forums

Forum Info