LG forum

General discussion

LG 47LM6700 will play MP4 but LG 55LW5300 will not

by eclipse31satx / March 2, 2015 11:45 AM PST

I have an LG 55LW5300 and LG 47LM6700 . Both are 3D TVs. I have a USB stick with some MP4 movies on it. When I plug the USB into the 6700 all the MP4 files are recognized and play fine. But, when I plug that same stick in the 5300 a few of the movies come up abnormal (red circle with x) and they wont play. I am not sure why the same video file would play fine on one LG TV and not the other one. Any input on what I need to do to fix this problem would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG 47LM6700 will play MP4 but LG 55LW5300 will not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG 47LM6700 will play MP4 but LG 55LW5300 will not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First, true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2015 12:49 AM PST

This issue has been noted for years. Video decoding can indeed work on one set and not the next. This area is well discussed with the short answer being "Encode the video in a way the TV understands." As to what that encoding is, each model varies and sometimes they don't tell. This means you have to try a few.
Bob

Collapse -
by eclipse31satx / March 3, 2015 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: First, true.

thanks.

where my confusion is, is that i use the same program to create the mp4 file and the same settings for each movie i convert. Yet one movie will work and the other does not. i dont understand why that is.

Collapse -
Try another setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2015 7:30 AM PST

I know that this area is full of surprises but the same advice repeats over and over.

If you can decode what the set supports then you can encode to that. Remember MP4 is not a standard for encoding. It's a bucket which you place encodings into. It's not possible to write all about encoding in this small space but plenty on the web out there.

And a nod to HANDBRAKE. For me that's the easiest out so far.
Bob

Collapse -
by eclipse31satx / March 3, 2015 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Try another setting.

what a mess. ok thanks. i didnt realize mp4 wasnt a standard. maybe i'll try mpg.

thanks for the handbrake tip. i'll give it a shot also.

Collapse -
See LG's reply?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2015 5:40 AM PST

Checking bitrates, etc. Fun.

Collapse -
USB playback with LG 55LW5300
by LG_Electronics LG staff / March 4, 2015 5:37 AM PST

Hi eclipse31satx,
We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your 55LW5300 playing back certain MP4 movies through the USB port.
There are quite a few requirements that need to be met in order for MP4 movies to playback properly on the TV and just because both your sets are 3D sets, they may not necessarily have the same playback capabilities. You will notice that the model numbers are different in the letter designations after the indicated screen size (i.e. 47LM versus 55LW) The LM is a newer TV in terms of release date so it's not surprising that it is capable of handling the movies.
You definitely will need to have the LG Customer Interactive Center (800) 243-0000 troubleshoot this for you to see where the problem lies, but you'll need to give them a lot more information about the USB stick, the bit rate of the movie files that will not play properly, the bitrate of the audio files, the resolution of those files and their frame rates. All that information will help determine where the problem lies...IFV

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?