Question

LG 42LN5400-ZA TV stopped working

Hi LG forum, this is my first post and I'm hoping somebody can help me please.

Watching TV last night and the screen went from perfect to a black screen, I still had sound. I tried to restart and unplug the unit a few times and still only sound and no picture apart from the odd dull flickering in the background.

Today I tried the TV, when I press the power button the red standby LED is very dull and is pulsing on of or intermittent.

Any advice would be great guys. I repair and build laptops and computers but I have no idea where to start with TV's. If I need to install a Tcon PCB or any other part I feel capable enough, if it's the panel I'm guessing it's going to cost more that the TV is now worth.

Is their anything I can check, ie ribbons, fuses ect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andi

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LG 42LN5400-ZA TV stopped working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LG 42LN5400-ZA TV stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
As a laptop technician, repair person.

Post was last edited on August 2, 2017 4:06 AM PDT

- Collapse -
Fixed (I think)

I couldn't obtain a service manual for free. I tried all the voltages on the PSU which were fine, checked for dry joints.

Thought I'd cook the BGA chip for a couple of hours under an electric heater to re-ball any broken solider and it seems to have worked.

Thank you for the input and guidence, Seems TV's are just a simple computer inside but no harm in coming over here to ask the experts before I started pulling the TV apart Happy

Thanks again.

Andi

CNET Forums

Forum Info