TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

LG 42LGX surround sound problem.. Help!

I have a 42LGX TV and just bought a Samsung HT-Z420 5.1 surround used. I set everything up and the surround sound works from the i-pod dock but when audio is coming through the tv it only uses the front two speakers and sub. I have the tv plugged into the surround sound box through an optical cable and the TV specs say that it has an audio decoder so I am not quite sure why it will not work. My only inputs into the TV are a PS3 and HTPC. I have also tried playing audio from the USB and none work with all speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynk_The_Great has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG 42LGX surround sound problem.. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG 42LGX surround sound problem.. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Lynk_The_Great

Collapse -
Sounds right to me.

In reply to: LG 42LGX surround sound problem.. Help!

Almost ALL TV output is stereo due to HDCP rules. There is a FINE EXCEPTION for Over The Air (OTA) which can be 5.1 but the HDMI/HDCP rule is thus:

If audio or video can be rendered at a device, the content that is passed on must be stereo or standard definition.

Your issue is usually how folk learn about how consumer unfriendly HDMI/HDCP is.
Bob

Collapse -
Hmm..

In reply to: Sounds right to me.

So what would be the easiest way to get video to the tv and audio to the receiver? I know the PS3 has a optical out but my HTPC does not have an optical, just HDMI and headphone jack. Would it be possible if i bought a sound card with optical out to get a splitter and plug the ps3 and HTPC both into the receiver and it would just run whatever is on? I am really not very knowledgeable about audio set ups so I just need the cheapest most convenient solution to get the surround sound working.

Collapse -
The sound jack is often stereo. This HTPC had optical input.

In reply to: Hmm..

Collapse -
Clarification

Here is my current and perspective setup I just want to know if this will work I guess I will have to get a splitter that has to be manually switched since I dont want to shut off PC just to turn on PS3.. or see if anyone has a better idea.

Collapse -
The current setup is stereo with one exception (OTA)

In reply to: Clarification

Collapse -
Problem

In reply to: The current setup is stereo with one exception (OTA)

The problem is, we don't know 100% whether or not the toslink output from the back of the HDTV will actually output 5.1 from an OTA source. IME more often than not they will not, even though you think they will/should since it's apart from the restrictions of HDCP/HDMI, etc. we have alluded to in this thread and elsewhere. Trial and error is required, unfortunately.

Collapse -
OTA is the only time it seems to work.

In reply to: Problem

It's the only time that 5.1 is allowed to pass through according to "da' rules" I've read to date. The thought here (mind reading?) is that since you usually don't have a receiver for OTA the only way to feed the surround is from the HDTV's OTA receiver.

I know you know this but tell it to the OP (original poster) so they can read it from other members and come up to speed on this.

After too many incidents I'm calling HDMI and HDCP out as "unfriendly." The manufacturers deserve all the calls and returns for these issues.
Bob

Collapse -
OTA 5.1 via digital optical out

In reply to: OTA is the only time it seems to work.

Yeah, by now I'm hoping this is starting to sink in a little with the OP.

The worst part is when the HDTV manufacturers don't follow the rules, even when it could potentially benefit a user. I've had the opportunity to test four HDTVs and only two would pass along OTA surround audio track. Go figure ;(. It's a crapshoot at best.

I'm excited that the OP does have a HTPC though. It's a great 'base camp' for HT stuff of late.

Collapse -
Thanks.

In reply to: The current setup is stereo with one exception (OTA)

I will have to do some more reading before I start making any purchases but I appreciate the information you have shared with me and I should have a good starting point to find out the limitations of the TV and HDMI.

Collapse -
What you need is...

In reply to: Hmm..

...either a cable or sat box which allows you to pass along the 5.1 surround audio track to your Samsung unit. You won't be getting it from the HDTV for the reasons Bob mentioned. Going back to either a PS3 or HTPC won't help in this case since they aren't doing the tuning.

Collapse -
Above

In reply to: What you need is...

Replied above.

Collapse -
While you drawings are extremely helpful...

In reply to: Above

...you left out the crux of the matter just to be 100% specific. Please add the source of your cable or sat signal. E.g. small box indicating wall jack, and run a cable to either the HDTV or to the HTPC, if that's what's doing the tuning of your stations. This matters a great deal so we know all your options ;).

Collapse -
Cable or sat signal..

In reply to: While you drawings are extremely helpful...

Sorry I should have been clear in original post, I do not have cable or sat. I am pretty cheap so I cancelled my cable sub and use netflix for streaming as well as DVD's so what is pictured is all the input besides the wifi coming into the HTPC. I have read your other posts and will have to do some reading so I can fully understand the references you have made about what gets passed over HDMI and what gets passed through the TV to finalize my audio set up but I get the feeling I will end up buying a sound card for my HTPC either way. I will also have to make sure I have a better understanding of my needs and limitations when picking out a motherboard on my next HTPC build Grin

Collapse -
Now we're getting somewhere ;)

In reply to: Cable or sat signal..

Indeed- Netflix won't be streaming out in 5.1 via digital optical, nor any other way, unless you can find a workaround with a tuner card inside your HTPC. YMMV.

If you need any more help feel free to ask. Without a doubt this stuff can be quite convoluted(!)

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Now we're getting somewhere ;)

I also view lots of downloaded content so I should be ok on that, and I will have to see what I can do about netflix. I figure if your not shelling out the money on a product to do the thinking for you, you are probably going to have to do the legwork.

Collapse -
Use the HTPC for Netflix

In reply to: Thanks

You shouldn't have many issues there, as long as you have an adequate video & audio card on board.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.