Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

Lexus LS 460 using oil

by skip315 / January 6, 2018 4:37 AM PST

2008 LS 460 is using a quart of oil every 1000 miles

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lexus LS 460 using oil
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lexus LS 460 using oil
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
any other problems noticed?
by James Denison / January 6, 2018 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Lexus LS 460 using oil

engine noises, oil in the radiator fluid, etc?

Collapse -
Lexus LS 460 using oil
by skip315 / January 6, 2018 12:29 PM PST

No sign of oil in radiator or unusual noises

Collapse -
Clarification Request
ten years old
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2018 12:04 PM PST

I'd wonder how many miles are on the car as this could be normal. Piston ring and valve guide wear are common reasons an engine starts to burn oil. Tell about the mileage and if you've kept up with oil change and filter maintenance.

Collapse -
ten years old
by skip315 / January 6, 2018 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: ten years old

208K & regular prescribed maintenance performed by either Lexus or Toyota dealer

Collapse -
that's a lot of miles
by James Denison / January 6, 2018 12:43 PM PST

Not surprised it's using more oil than previously. You could have the dealer do a compression test on the cylinders to check for worn rings.

Collapse -
Sounds good to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2018 12:48 PM PST

When it hits that mileage I have to write it did well. Not unexpected to need an engine rebuild or swap.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Engine oil
by landdchamp Forum moderator / January 6, 2018 10:19 AM PST

Hi, Skip; I checked Mitchell data and it says to use 0-w20 engine oil. If not available, can use 5W-20, but to change back to 0W-20 at next oil change. It does not specify synthetic oil.
With that being said, it does not explain the excessive oil loss. Do you see any leakage? Have someone follow you and watch for smoke from the exhaust on acceleration and deceleration. Sometimes, a PCV valve will go bad and actually suck oil out of the engine and then burn it without leaving a trail of smoke.
Just food for thought.
Good luck.
Loren

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!