Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Lexus GS350 GPS query

Just got a new '07 and can't believe that the imbeciles actually disable the GPS when the vehicle is in motion!!! Oh sure, it's supposed to be a safety factor--but then why not disable all the features? Instead, the system won't allow you to program in address data while the car is moving, so even the PASSENGER!!! can't reprogram destinations on the move. Meantime, you can still screw with the mileage data, fuel consumption and half a dozen other DISTRACTIONs--not to mention about 200 audio features that take your eyes off the road--right up there with the telephone diddle-fiddle.

Are there any thoughts on how one might bring this plastic rip-off up to the level of a basic Ford 150 with a moderately decent GPS? You'd think the Germans, with no speed limits, would be the ones to initiate this autocratic stupidity--but I guess they garner more intelligent drivers.

The dealer was very careful to hide this little trick when I bought the car. Now they tell me that they are unable to make this chunk of plastic crap operate the same as any simple Garmin on the road. Anyone know how to enlighten Lexus so we don't see hundreds of them stranded roadside attempting to program a simple change of route or destination into a car that otherwise, might be o.k.?

I just want the GPS to operate like any other on the road (except another Lexus).

Lost in Motion

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lexus GS350 GPS query
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lexus GS350 GPS query
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GS350

In reply to: Lexus GS350 GPS query

This is common for most pre installed navigation system. It's the lawyers. If you look at message boards and forums on the internet, there usually a way around if it bugs you, usually dealing with recoding the software, or tinkering with the system. My BMW, however doesn't have this issue. I can enter stuff anytime I want, maybe it's the IDrive?
Just wondering, what made you decide on the Lexus GS350 over a BMW 535i or Mercedes-Benz E350?

Collapse -
GS350 Nav "defect"...

In reply to: GS350

Thanks for the spiffy response. The reason for Lexus over Beamer or MB is mostly female, and lots of travel in the Great (often white) North East--hence AWD. BMW stopped addressing the snow issue and I already have an MB S-55, so the MB 4Matic seemed a little redundant for the premium over Lexus.

And you're right of course, it's the lawyers. But how stupid they are to impose a defect on the car that the dealer doesn't alert you to in the purchase presentation. They were told that the GPS was a major factor in the decision over MB in the first place (the Lexus Nav technology appears "better" on the surface). The fact that they disable the most critical aspect of the nav system--the ability to program a route while the car is in motion--yet leave all the other nonsensical distractive garbage available is hypocritical and deceptive. Why not simply turn everything off--including the phone, if you're so concerned with distracting the driver?

None of the German cars initiate this--and at the VERY least, the Lexus morons could enable the Nav system when the passenger seat is occupied. (Maybe this is simply too complicated for them to think through). Who wants a car designed by a lawyer??? Basically, the vehicle is fine--quiet, smooth and reliable and not bad mileage for an AWD comfort sedan. But the marketing program is overblown' deceptive--and frankly, I would not have bought the car had they been revealing about their GPS deficiencies.

All I need now is a tip on how to disable this moronic built-in defect.

Collapse -
Safety, more like...Suck-ty

In my IS300 I can't even auto adjust my seat position if the car isn't in park, so I am not surprised that they limit the Navi functions when you are in motion. Doesn't the GS350 have voice recognition though? I think if you enabled that it would let you re-program destinations mid-trip.

Collapse -
GS350 Nav defect

In reply to: Safety, more like...Suck-ty

You're correct re the voice recognition. I've experimented and it seems limited to destinations that are pre-programed into the system. MB, Audis, Beamers, Garmins--virtually all US vehicles equipped with GPS allow you to select new destinations, stopovers, alternate routes while the vehicle is in motion. It's a pretty simple concept. You'd think they'd figure it out. Thanks for the thought!

I guess these Lexus morons figure that if we're dumb enough to pay these prices for a gussied-up Toyota, that they can push any kind of crap they want on us. The seat thing hasn't bothered me yet--but the same stupidity that screwed up the nav was sitting in your seat.

Collapse -
Lexus

In reply to: GS350 Nav defect

Well most luxury vehicles are guzzied up versions of some kind of car (Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura), so I don't mind paying more for the Lexus brand because they are the most reliable luxury cars on the road. Lexus is just anal about safety features. They took the balls off of the IS350 by putting a very strict traction control/speed control system in it that can't be easily manually inactivated.

I'd buy another Lexus though, at least I don't have to bring it to the shop once a month like Benz and BMW owners have to.

Collapse -
Well, I shouldn't complain...too much

In reply to: Lexus

Your notion of Lexus reliability and safety is well-noted. I had a previous Lexus and it was reliable. It's the little things that are irritating--for example, they haven't yet sorted out how to attach a front license plate so that it doesn't get bent and twisted in a car wash. Never did fix it in my first one, and this new vehicle has the same assembly.

A previous "poster" suggested that the new voice command might work to alter course while driving. Damned if he wasn't right. The VC works a charm. And for some reason, I can even make seat adjustments in motion. The day is shining brighter already.

On the MB maintenance issue: I've owned and driven S Models since 1980s--cranked 212,000 on one of them (the buyer popped another 115,000 without even a valve job; my kid inherited another that's topping 136,000, and my current S, an '02, is clocking 146,000. Never had one give up on the road, or in for anything other than maintenance. But I have heard bad-news on the early E-series.

This Lexus is a fine machine though--and time will tell the rest of the story.

Collapse -
Unlock

Hey, I found on Club Lexus forum that if you go to menu> volume> then click upper left lower left upper left lower left on the screen, you will then be on a service screen. It is important not to touch anything else, because some buttons cause it to act up (lots of stories) then press and hold the override button until it changes color. If this doesn't work, go to club lexus and there are a couple different techniques.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.