Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

lexplore KRNL386.EXE

by york10 / March 28, 2005 7:47 AM PST

I have a Windows ME operating system with pretty good security. Use Zone Alarm, AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spy Guard.

I am using Firefox but my wife prefers IE. Recently she has gotten the following message on IE. leplore has caused an error in KRNL386.EXE Explorer will now close. I believe this is caused by a virus or a worm. Any ideas on how to get rid of the problem? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lexplore KRNL386.EXE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lexplore KRNL386.EXE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
York, Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: lexplore KRNL386.EXE

...repairing Internet Explorer? Open the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, then click on the "Internet Explorer X and Internet Tools" listing and click on the "Add/Remove" button. A small window will load, select the "Repair" option then follow the prompts to repair IE.

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using. If the repair doesn't work, you may want to upgrade to a new version of IE.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Internet Explorer Q891781
by york10 / March 28, 2005 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: York, Have You Tried??

Grif:

I am using version 6.0 of IE. In add/remove programs the listing I have for IE is Internet Explorer Q891781. When I click on this I am asked if I want to delete this item and return to my previous configuration. What will happen if I click yes to the question? Thanks for your quick response.

Collapse -
York, 891781 Is An Update...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 9:11 AM PST

..and won't repair Internet Explorer. Instead, in Windows ME, you should see a listing titled "Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools". That's the one that you'll need to "repair" IE. See the link below:

How to Repair Internet Explorer 6 Using the Repair Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
lexplore KRNL386.EXE
by york10 / March 28, 2005 9:57 AM PST

Grif:

I did the IE repair following your instructions. Everything went well but it did not solve the lexplore problem. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Collapse -
York, The Next Step...Troubleshooting
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: lexplore KRNL386.EXE

...AS LONG AS you're sure you have no spyware or viruses....is to eliminate unnecessary start up programs and clean out the junk files on the machine. It would also be a good idea to have the most current graphics driver for that machine.

First, please download and install the updated Windows Script Engine from the link below. It's slightly newer than the original 5.6 version that was released.:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0

Next, follow ALL of the procedures in the links below:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by york10 / March 30, 2005 12:26 AM PST

Grif:

I did all the troubleshooting steps you suggested, including system restore, and the problem seems to be eliminated. Thanks for all the suggestions.

One question. Why did you tell me to download Windows Script 5.6 before I started the troubleshooting? Thanks again.

Collapse -
York, Good Job....!...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

In regards to System Restore, I assume you meant that you temporarily disabled it. After doing so, you are supposed "re-enable" it. Hopefully, you've re-enabled SR. It can be a valuable tool at times.

The are two reasons why I asked you to install the new script engine. First, many people have not upgraded to the newest 5.6 version which has some "security" fixes in it..Second, recently I've found that installing the new script engine helps fix some of the issues that Internet Explorer is experiencing. Either way, it couldn't hurt and it might just fix the issue on its own.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
System Restore
by york10 / March 30, 2005 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: York, Good Job....!...

Grif:

I did re-enable system restore. Thanks for the script engine information.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Anytime !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: System Restore
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?