Peripherals forum

General discussion

Lexmark Z43 Printer stops working after cartridge change

by 1041007 / May 15, 2006 11:31 PM PDT

My Lexmark z43 printer came as a package with my computer and worked fine until the second cartridge change. Now the black prints with huge white bands with a newly refilled cartridge and the quality is very poor. The brand new color cartridge does not work at all.

Any help from anyone with similar problems??

I now find that Lemark does not support the printer any more. windows XP and the xp drivers supplied by Lexmark conflict with each other, XP sez the Lexmark drivers are not "signed". I think the whole affair is planned obsolescense by Lexmark since I have an Adam impact printer that still worked after 8 or so years in the attic.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lexmark Z43 Printer stops working after cartridge change
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lexmark Z43 Printer stops working after cartridge change
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easy answer
by rlharris02 / May 15, 2006 11:52 PM PDT

You said that you refilled the cartridge right? You do know that the print head on the cartridge should only be using ONE time.

So that does example why it does not work.

IE
When you print it burns up the print head since, all ink jet printers use THERMAL PRINTING. That is why the cartridge is a one time use.

Also impact printers are completly different than thermal inkjets

Collapse -
Cartridge call good
by 1041007 / May 16, 2006 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy answer

Good call on the color cartridge at least, I just swapped the one I bought for a new one and the new one works. I am going to buy a new black cartridge I guess to see if that works.

Before I buy a new printer ever again I am going to visit that website which gives the cost of printing for each type of printer, damn cartridges are too much.

Thanks for your responses

Collapse -
Good it could help
by rlharris02 / May 16, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

I have been working with and selling printers for a long time.

Canon and Epson have the highest cost per print

HP is the third

Lexmark has the least cost per printer

I would get a lexmark that uses the 32,33,34,35,31

Those printers that use those ink cartridges has the cheaps cost per print

Its better to have all of your colors in one cartridge like most Lexmarks are.

Some models

z816, p4350,x7170,x7350,x8350

$24.99 / 34 - 500 pages normal 1,000 in draft
$28.99 / 35 - 450 pages in normal
$24.99 / 31 - 140 4*6 photos ( if you want to do photos)

Collapse -
new black cartridge works
by 1041007 / May 16, 2006 3:41 AM PDT

Ok another new black ink cartridge and it works. Weird I got two bad cartridges and my luck I bought them from different stores!!

The whole experience took too damn long to resolve. I guess I will not be so hesitant about returning ink cartridges that do not work in the future.

Collapse -
lexmark an environmental hazard
by jonace73 / July 2, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

To whom it may concern:
I have noticed that Lexmark printers are very hazardous to environment. These printers will not allow ink refill. I attempted to refill their ink cartridge but their printer will not allow to print with refilled cartridge. Thus, I have to buy a new one, because of this scheme zillions of ink cartridges will be thrown to landfills needlessly. To save the environment, Lexmark must redesign their printer to allow refill.

I hope action will be made in this regard.

Sincerely,
Manuel

Collapse -
3 bucks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

I take any I can find to a local office supply store and they give me 3 bucks plus they recycle them.

Doesn't seem that big an issue?

Collapse -
Contact local office
by pollydan / July 9, 2009 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 bucks?

Contact local office is better way if you are under warranty.
I met the same promblem before and it was fixed by local office.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.